Old 11-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Bas Roufs

Default Feeling like a 2nd class citizen - never rely on 1 browser only!

Dear everybody

>> Is it just that I need to switch to Firefox on my Kubuntu install? Or
>> should I stick to browsing the web in my XP VM, cause things "just work"
>> there.
>>

> Like so many others have suggested I use Firefox as my main browser
> though I occasionally find a site where Konq works better. If you
> absolutely need Internet Explorer maybe you should check out IEs4Linux O. Sinclair wrote:
> though I dont know how that works myself:
> http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page
>
> Sinclair

Sinclair is absolutely right. Also I use Firefox as my main browser.
Firefox has many practical, technical features I like very much.
Moreover, Firefox works quite well with at least 9 out of every 10
websites I visit. Even complicated websites like that of my bank work
well with Firefox, which is perfectly open source and flexibly
adjustable to many practical needs. Even something complicated and
delicate like on line banking transactions are perfectly possible with
Firefox in combination with the site of my bank.

HOWEVER....!! NEVER rely on one web browser only. Also other open source
browsers like Konqueror and Opera can have certain advantages Firefox
hasn't.

Upon reading Sinclairs input, I gratefully bookmarked the link to
'IES4Linux': a browser that can be used to consult websites that only
work with Internet Explorer. Such software may also deliver useful
feedback to check how your own website design looks like on Internet
Explorer - something I have been looking for a while. On the other hand,
also the author of 'IES4Linux' advises to use 'Firefox' for web browsing
in general... The open source community is deliciously clever..... :-)

Warm greetings,

Bas.

--
Viaconsensus