Old 01-04-2012, 06:46 AM
Bill Vance

Default Browser prob

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 06:09:49AM -0500, Dale Trombley wrote:
>Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 06:09:49 -0500
>From: Dale Trombley <buzzmandt@gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Browser prob
>
>I've had this a couple times from an uprade. Reinstall flash worked for me.
>sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer --reinstall
>On Jan 3, 2012 6:02 AM, "Leslie Anne Chatterton" <lahc2007@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When I had sound problems it was there flag plug-in.

It plays .flv files fine, just no sound. I re-installed
the flash plugin, and no change. What is a, "flag",
plug-in?

Bill

Old 01-04-2012, 07:15 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 06:09:49 -0500
From: Dale Trombley<buzzmandt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Browser prob

I've had this a couple times from an uprade. Reinstall flash worked for me.
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer --reinstall
When I had sound problems it was there flag plug-in.

It plays .flv files fine, just no sound. I re-installed
the flash plugin, and no change. What is a, "flag",
plug-in?

I suspect it was a typo and meant "flash plugin". If it play .flv files
with no sound then the problem must be with the sound settings.

Install the Veromix plasmoid and play a .flv file and check that sound
for flash is not muted in pulseaudio

Old 01-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Leslie Anne Chatterton

Sorry, I meant flash plug in but my spell checker thought it knew better. There is more than one flash plug in. I think I've had more luck with the official Adobe version but find out which you have been installing and try the other. Both are in the repositories.

Sent from my Motorola Xoom Android tablet

Old 01-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Mark Greenwood

On 4 Jan 2012, at 07:46, Bill Vance wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 06:09:49AM -0500, Dale Trombley wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 06:09:49 -0500
>> From: Dale Trombley <buzzmandt@gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: Browser prob
>>
>> I've had this a couple times from an uprade. Reinstall flash worked for me.
>> sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer --reinstall
>> On Jan 3, 2012 6:02 AM, "Leslie Anne Chatterton" <lahc2007@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> When I had sound problems it was there flag plug-in.
>

> It plays .flv files fine, just no sound. I re-installed
> the flash plugin, and no change. What is a, "flag",
> plug-in?

Bill,

Enable the 'partner' repository and 'sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin adobe-flash-properties-kde' will get you the latest version of flash and the KDE system settings module that will help you configure it.

Mark

Old 01-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Bill Vance

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 11:13:12AM +0000, Mark Greenwood wrote:
>Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 11:13:12 +0000
>From: Mark Greenwood <fatgerman@gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Browser prob
>

>On 4 Jan 2012, at 07:46, Bill Vance wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 06:09:49AM -0500, Dale Trombley wrote:
>>> Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 06:09:49 -0500
>>> From: Dale Trombley <buzzmandt@gmail.com>
>>> Subject: Re: Browser prob
>>>
>>> I've had this a couple times from an uprade. Reinstall flash worked for me.
>>> sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer --reinstall

>> It plays .flv files fine, just no sound. I re-installed
>> the flash plugin, and no change. What is a, "flag",
>> plug-in?
>
>Bill,
>
>Enable the 'partner' repository and 'sudo apt-get install
>adobe-flashplugin adobe-flash-properties-kde' will get you
>the latest version of flash and the KDE system settings
>module that will help you configure it.
>
>Mark

Wait a minute, does pulse audio actually work on KUbuntu
now? Did everything sugested in this session, and still no
joy. :-(

Bill

Old 01-05-2012, 08:36 AM
"O. Sinclair"

I've had this a couple times from an uprade. Reinstall flash worked for me.
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer --reinstall
When I had sound problems it was there flag plug-in.

It plays .flv files fine, just no sound. I re-installed
the flash plugin, and no change. What is a, "flag",
plug-in?

Bill,

Enable the 'partner' repository and 'sudo apt-get install
adobe-flashplugin adobe-flash-properties-kde' will get you
the latest version of flash and the KDE system settings
module that will help you configure it.

Mark

Wait a minute, does pulse audio actually work on KUbuntu
now? Did everything sugested in this session, and still no
joy. :-(

Bill

on my 11.10 it does, has worked OK since 11.04 but tricky to get
settings alright. Which is why Veromix is one of my recommendations to
get eg mic on Skype working

Old 01-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Dale Trombley

I have 11.10 on 9 different machines ranging from older (6+ years old laptop) to new (brand new home build desktop) and pulseaudio works flawlessly on all of them.

Run alsamixer in terminal to make sure there are no other sound devices being found and that the one you want is default and all sound output is full volume.

Run sudo apt-get install pulseaudio --reinstall

Maybe try an open source flash player. Gnash is one of them.

I'll dig a little deeper when I get home from work

Old 01-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Bill Vance

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 11:36:47AM +0200, O. Sinclair wrote:
>Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 11:36:47 +0200
>From: "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair@gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Browser prob
>
>On 05/01/12 10:45, Bill Vance wrote:
>>On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 11:13:12AM +0000, Mark Greenwood wrote:
>>>Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 11:13:12 +0000
>>>From: Mark Greenwood<fatgerman@gmail.com>
>>>Subject: Re: Browser prob

>>>Bill,
>>>
>>>Enable the 'partner' repository and 'sudo apt-get install
>>>adobe-flashplugin adobe-flash-properties-kde' will get you
>>>the latest version of flash and the KDE system settings
>>>module that will help you configure it.
>>>
>>>Mark
>>

>>Wait a minute, does pulse audio actually work on KUbuntu
>>now? Did everything sugested in this session, and still no
>>joy. :-(
>>
>>Bill
>>

>on my 11.10 it does, has worked OK since 11.04 but tricky to get
>settings alright. Which is why Veromix is one of my recommendations
>to get eg mic on Skype working

Well I guess that explains that. I'm running 10.04. I
guess you _could_ say that I did just get it working, but
only by going into preferences, and setting every video
setting to dragon player. This opens up an entirely
different window to play the video in, but at least there's
sound. Now to see if download helper will work this way.

Thanks for all the help.

Bill