Old 12-31-2011, 08:01 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default KDE 4.8 RC1

In the kubuntu beta ppa for 11.10 you can now find packages for 4.8.RC1
also called 4.7.95

Be careful before you install these. I took a system backup using
Remastersys and made a full backup of my /home directory (that I keep on
a separate partition).

On login the CPU went haywire as virtuoso-t now decided to start
reindexing everything, KMail removed my filters (oh btw export your
filters first) and started behaving weird on my 4 pop3-accounts.

The Folder View widget made Plasma Desktop crash as soon as I tried to
change any settings (the folder contents were not shown).

I quickly reinstalled 4.7.4

Kindly
Sinclair

Old 12-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Mark Greenwood

On 31 Dec 2011, at 09:01, O. Sinclair wrote:

> In the kubuntu beta ppa for 11.10 you can now find packages for 4.8.RC1 also called 4.7.95
>
> Be careful before you install these. I took a system backup using Remastersys and made a full backup of my /home directory (that I keep on a separate partition).
>
> On login the CPU went haywire as virtuoso-t now decided to start reindexing everything, KMail removed my filters (oh btw export your filters first) and started behaving weird on my 4 pop3-accounts.
>
> The Folder View widget made Plasma Desktop crash as soon as I tried to change any settings (the folder contents were not shown).

… There was a conflict with 'plasma-widget-kde-observatory' on installation which caused apt-get to bomb out, leaving it half installed. This took me 2 hours of swearing to fix and I still don't think it's quite right
… It crashed when I first started it up because it had uninstalled the theme for the login dialog (which I hadn't changed from the default and which now seems not to exist anywhere)
….I can't reinstall 4.7.4 because ppa-purge cannot resolve the conflicts (presumably something to do with the above)

… approach with caution. KDE is getting worse with every release.

Mark

Old 12-31-2011, 11:19 AM
Mark Fraser

On Saturday 31 Dec 2011 11:18:31 Mark Greenwood wrote:

> On 31 Dec 2011, at 09:01, O. Sinclair wrote:

> > In the kubuntu beta ppa for 11.10 you can now find packages for 4.8.RC1

> > also called 4.7.95

> > Be careful before you install these. I took a system backup using

> > Remastersys and made a full backup of my /home directory (that I keep on

> > a separate partition).

> > On login the CPU went haywire as virtuoso-t now decided to start

> > reindexing everything, KMail removed my filters (oh btw export your

> > filters first) and started behaving weird on my 4 pop3-accounts.

> > The Folder View widget made Plasma Desktop crash as soon as I tried to

> > change any settings (the folder contents were not shown).

> … There was a conflict with 'plasma-widget-kde-observatory' on installation

> which caused apt-get to bomb out, leaving it half installed. This took me

> 2 hours of swearing to fix and I still don't think it's quite right … It

> crashed when I first started it up because it had uninstalled the theme

> for the login dialog (which I hadn't changed from the default and which

> now seems not to exist anywhere) ….I can't reinstall 4.7.4 because

> ppa-purge cannot resolve the conflicts (presumably something to do with

> the above)

> … approach with caution. KDE is getting worse with every release.

*

Not having any of those problems, but I seem to be unable to run Amarok as it doesn't show in the system tray even though I had that setting enabled and there is an entry in System Tray Settings called org.kde.StatusNotifierItem-1996-1/StatusNotifierItem.

*

Old 12-31-2011, 11:32 AM
Jonathan Riddell

Problems with beta and RC packaging are better communicated on the
developers list so we know there is a problem. The point of such
packages is to get testing to find problems.

> … There was a conflict with 'plasma-widget-kde-observatory' on installation which caused apt-get to bomb out, leaving it half installed. This took me 2 hours of swearing to fix and I still don't think it's quite right

We don't have any package by that name. We have a
"plasma-widget-kdeobservatory" so either you made a typo above or you
have a package from a non-Ubuntu source.

> … It crashed when I first started it up because it had uninstalled the theme for the login dialog (which I hadn't changed from the default and which now seems not to exist anywhere)

Upstream changed the default and we need to add an upgrade script for
the config file to change it. Ho hum.

> … approach with caution. KDE is getting worse with every release.

Have a good hogmanay

Jonathan

Old 12-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Mark Greenwood

On 31 Dec 2011, at 12:32, Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> Problems with beta and RC packaging are better communicated on the
> developers list so we know there is a problem. The point of such
> packages is to get testing to find problems.

With respect, I've logged a lot of bugs in the past, both on kde.org and launchpad. About 30% of them get looked at and about 5% get fixed. When I spend my time and effort to help debug things and then nobody responds it doesn't encourage me to do it again. I've also had some fairly arrogant and bad-tempered responses occasionally (not from Ubuntu devs) and I'm sorry to say that if that's the attitude, then they can go jump in a volKano.

This is why we're now seeing people complaining on email lists and forums instead of logging bugs. I got a response! I know somebody has read my email and I feel that I've actually contributed something now, as opposed to when I log a bug and it disappears into a black hole from which no communication can escape. I feel good about it now, instead of that 'why-do-I-bother' feeling I usually get. Thanks

>> … There was a conflict with 'plasma-widget-kde-observatory' on installation which caused apt-get to bomb out, leaving it half installed. This took me 2 hours of swearing to fix and I still don't think it's quite right
>
> We don't have any package by that name. We have a
> "plasma-widget-kdeobservatory" so either you made a typo above or you
> have a package from a non-Ubuntu source.

Yes sorry I made a typo. plasma-widget-kdeobservatory. An updated package was trying to overwrite a file that also existed in that package, which caused apt-get to stop partway through the installation. I then had broken packages and could not uninstall the observatory package. I forget how I resolved it but it wasn't fun.

>> … It crashed when I first started it up because it had uninstalled the theme for the login dialog (which I hadn't changed from the default and which now seems not to exist anywhere)
>
> Upstream changed the default and we need to add an upgrade script for
> the config file to change it. Ho hum.

I'm glad it's not just me.. the number of times they change something and break all my hard-done configuration…. it's exasperating. Is anybody actually "in charge" of KDE development or is it just the free form mess it appears to be?

>> … approach with caution. KDE is getting worse with every release.
>
> Have a good hogmanay

And to you.

Mark

Old 12-31-2011, 12:58 PM
"O. Sinclair"

[...]

Jonathan, I know beta is for testing. I did not in any way mean to
denigrate hard work of developers or packagers. My experience just made
me think "better tell others to make a very strong backup before they
try this out".

I can only test when things work reasonably well myself and RC1 does not
seem to. I don't even know if it is a bug that virtuoso-t now have taken
over from nepomukindexer as the CPU hog. And I do not mean to be
sarcastic or anything. Do I file with KDE or Kubuntu? Is it packaging or
a changed feature from 4.7 to 4.8?

I wanted to try, unfortunately I can not use it so have to back off.
Only wanted to tell other curious to make backup and backup first just
in case.

Respectfully,
Sinclair

Old 12-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Thomas Olsen

On Saturday 31 December 2011 12:19 Mark Fraser wrote:
> Not having any of those problems, but I seem to be unable to run Amarok as
> it doesn't show in the system tray even though I had that setting enabled
> and there is an entry in System Tray Settings called
> org.kde.StatusNotifierItem-1996-1/StatusNotifierItem.

I had this problem when I upgraded to Amarok 2.5 on KDE 4.7.4. Don't know what
I did or didn't do, but now it shows up fine in the systray and the mysterious
org.kde.StatusNotifierItem... has gone.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Olsen

Old 12-31-2011, 08:27 PM
Mark Greenwood

On 31 Dec 2011, at 21:09, Thomas Olsen wrote:

> On Saturday 31 December 2011 12:19 Mark Fraser wrote:
>> Not having any of those problems, but I seem to be unable to run Amarok as
>> it doesn't show in the system tray even though I had that setting enabled
>> and there is an entry in System Tray Settings called
>> org.kde.StatusNotifierItem-1996-1/StatusNotifierItem.
>
> I had this problem when I upgraded to Amarok 2.5 on KDE 4.7.4. Don't know what
> I did or didn't do, but now it shows up fine in the systray and the mysterious
> org.kde.StatusNotifierItem... has gone.

Is anybody else noticing kmix using 100% CPU after playing music for a few minutes? Not sure if it's a genuine bug or an effect of my difficult upgrade…

Mark

Old 12-31-2011, 08:35 PM
Girard Henri

I use it with pangolin and I find it quite quick. It's a fresh install
from 4.7.95

regards
Henri

Le 31/12/2011 10:01, O. Sinclair a crit :

Old 12-31-2011, 10:47 PM
Rob Hall

On Saturday 31 Dec 2011 21:27:07 Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On 31 Dec 2011, at 21:09, Thomas Olsen wrote:
> > On Saturday 31 December 2011 12:19 Mark Fraser wrote:
> >> Not having any of those problems, but I seem to be unable to run Amarok
> >> as
> >> it doesn't show in the system tray even though I had that setting enabled
> >> and there is an entry in System Tray Settings called
> >> org.kde.StatusNotifierItem-1996-1/StatusNotifierItem.
> >
> > I had this problem when I upgraded to Amarok 2.5 on KDE 4.7.4. Don't know
> > what I did or didn't do, but now it shows up fine in the systray and the
> > mysterious org.kde.StatusNotifierItem... has gone.
>
> Is anybody else noticing kmix using 100% CPU after playing music for a few
> minutes? Not sure if it's a genuine bug or an effect of my difficult
> upgrade…

I'm seeing this on two user accounts. Doesn't appear to be limited to playing
music on my system.

Rob Hall