FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Mark Fraser
 
Default Kubuntu running slow

On 2 netbooks that have been upgraded to 11.10 and are set to auto login, I am finding that everything is running slow and kwin is at over 90% until I log out and log in again and re-enable desktop effects after which it is running properly again.

*

Also, when I log out, I have to log in twice as the first time it only gets to the 2nd icon before dumping me back to the login screen.

*

Any ides?

*

--

Registered Linux User #466407 http://counter.li.org
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-30-2011, 06:45 AM
Zaki Akhmad
 
Default Kubuntu running slow

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Mark Fraser
<ubuntu@mfraz.orangehome.co.uk> wrote:

> On 2 netbooks that have been upgraded to 11.10 and are set to auto login, I
> am finding that everything is running slow and kwin is at over 90% until I
> log out and log in again and re-enable desktop effects after which it is
> running properly again.

Which event did you mean by slow? Is it after autologin from the KDM?

Mine is worse. It took me at least 3 - 5 minutes to enter KDE after
entered credential at KDM

--
Zaki Akhmad

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Mark Fraser
 
Default Kubuntu running slow

On Friday 30 Dec 2011 07:45:33 Zaki Akhmad wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Mark Fraser

>

> <ubuntu@mfraz.orangehome.co.uk> wrote:

> > On 2 netbooks that have been upgraded to 11.10 and are set to auto login,

> > I am finding that everything is running slow and kwin is at over 90%

> > until I log out and log in again and re-enable desktop effects after

> > which it is running properly again.

>

> Which event did you mean by slow? Is it after autologin from the KDM?

*

Yes, once it had logged me into the desktop, it would take ages to respond to mouse clicks etc.

*

> Mine is worse. It took me at least 3 - 5 minutes to enter KDE after

> entered credential at KDM

*

--

Registered Linux User #466407 http://counter.li.org
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Zaki Akhmad
 
Default Kubuntu running slow

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Mark Fraser
<ubuntu@mfraz.orangehome.co.uk> wrote:

> Yes, once it had logged me into the desktop, it would take ages to respond
> to mouse clicks etc.

What version of KDE are you using? I am using KDE 4.7.3

I think we're not alone here

Bug 753716 - kde takes a long time to start
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=753716

--
Zaki Akhmad

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Mark Fraser
 
Default Kubuntu running slow

On Friday 30 Dec 2011 10:15:48 Zaki Akhmad wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Mark Fraser

>

> <ubuntu@mfraz.orangehome.co.uk> wrote:

> > Yes, once it had logged me into the desktop, it would take ages to

> > respond to mouse clicks etc.

>

> What version of KDE are you using? I am using KDE 4.7.3

>

> I think we're not alone here

>

> Bug 753716 - kde takes a long time to start

> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=753716

*

I'm using 4.7.4 on one of the netbooks and 4.7.90 on the other. It isn't that it is taking a long time to start, but that it feels like everything is slow even after leaving it for a while and only logging out and then back in cures it.

*

--

Registered Linux User #466407 http://counter.li.org
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Hakan Koseoglu
 
Default Kubuntu running slow

On 30 December 2011 10:23, Mark Fraser <ubuntu@mfraz.orangehome.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm using 4.7.4 on one of the netbooks and 4.7.90 on the other. It isn't
> that it is taking a long time to start, but that it feels like everything is
> slow even after leaving it for a while and only logging out and then back in
> cures it.
Try turning the mess called Nepomuk off.

My logins take quite long but I have a 8GB deep wallpaper folder which
KDE insists scanning every time - at least this version doesn't block
everything, it just makes it slow and lets me get on with the things
to a degree, previously it was a blocking action. Using a single image
speeds things up significantly. The other obvious hog was the
so-called semantic desktop mess.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Zaki Akhmad
 
Default Kubuntu running slow

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:

> Try turning the mess called Nepomuk off.

In my case, I've done that but still didn't solved the problem :|

PS:
User A needs 3 minutes while user B only need 30 seconds. I am very
confused now, since this case happened to specific user. I had
disabled nepomuk on user A.

--
Zaki Akhmad

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:35 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org