Old 12-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Swapnil Bhartiya

Default How To Change Kmail Folder Location

On 12/14/2011 10:55 PM, James Tappin wrote:

The method I have used for folders likely to get too big for a
limited-size home directory is to create the folder, then (while kmail
is not running) move the directories to the other partition and create
symlinks in ~/Mail.

How to create symlinks -- which directories to move?
Swapnil

Old 12-15-2011, 02:25 PM
James Tappin

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 00:18:37 +0100
Swapnil Bhartiya <swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com> wrote:

SB> On 12/14/2011 10:55 PM, James Tappin wrote:
SB> > The method I have used for folders likely to get too big for a
SB> > limited-size home directory is to create the folder, then (while kmail
SB> > is not running) move the directories to the other partition and create
SB> > symlinks in ~/Mail.
SB> How to create symlinks -- which directories to move?
SB> Swapnil

If your folder is called "Shared" (say) and you want to relocate it to /data then:
1) cd ~/Mail
2) mv Shared /data
3) ln -s /data/Shared .

[If there are subfolders then you will also need:
4) mv .Shared.directory /data
5) ln -s /data/.Shared.directory .
]

Old 12-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Swapnil Bhartiya

If your folder is called "Shared" (say) and you want to relocate it to /data then:
1) cd ~/Mail
2) mv Shared /data
3) ln -s /data/Shared .

[If there are subfolders then you will also need:
4) mv .Shared.directory /data
5) ln -s /data/.Shared.directory .]

Thanks. But as I stated earlier I don't know where KDE saves the Kmail
folder.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:36 PM
"Alex Gabriel"

Look under .kde/apps/share, there's usually a directory called kmail. If you use KDE PIM, though you need the folder for each component. I.e. Kmail, Kontact, etc.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:37 PM
"Alex Gabriel"

You can run "find . -iname kmail" from your home directory to locate the exact location.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Nils Kassube

Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
> Thanks. But as I stated earlier I don't know where KDE saves the
> Kmail folder.

I think you shouldn't look for the kmail folder but for the folder where
Kmail saves the messages. AFAIK there is no option in the Kmail settings
to change this folder.

It depends on your Kubuntu (or KDE) version where your mails are stored.
Some KDE3 versions used "/home/$USER/Mail/" and if you upgraded from
such a version you may still be using that folder. However if you
started with later KDE3 versions or KDE4 before Kubuntu 11.10 the
default folder was "/home/$USER/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/". With 11.10
things have changed again and I think you can find your mail in
"/home/$USER/.local/share/local-mail".

Nils