Old 12-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Swapnil Bhartiya

Default How To Change Kmail Folder Location

Hi,

I have recently started using KDE and have two questions which I will
ask separately. I have been using Thunderbird and now want to try Kmail.
In Thunderbird I can easily change the location of the folders to mails
are saved in the desired partition and not home so that I can easily
access it after format or from other OSes on the system. How do I change
the location of the folder in Kmail?

Swapnil Bhartiya

Old 12-14-2011, 08:55 PM
James Tappin

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 21:46:06 +0100
Swapnil Bhartiya <swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com> wrote:

SB> I have recently started using KDE and have two questions which I
SB> will ask separately. I have been using Thunderbird and now want to
SB> try Kmail. In Thunderbird I can easily change the location of the
SB> folders to mails are saved in the desired partition and not home so
SB> that I can easily access it after format or from other OSes on the
SB> system. How do I change the location of the folder in Kmail?

The method I have used for folders likely to get too big for a
limited-size home directory is to create the folder, then (while kmail
is not running) move the directories to the other partition and create
symlinks in ~/Mail.

One word of warning if you are using Oneiric though: the version of
kmail there is pretty flakey, on my home machine I was forced to switch
to Thunderbird because kmail kept losing messages, or deleted messages
would reappear. (I've not tried 4.7.3 from -proposed to see if it's
fixed).