Old 12-13-2011, 01:17 PM
uteck

Default sound with skype

Did you check the mic volume in kmix and alsamixer? My laptop mutes
my volume when I reboot for some reason, so I suppose it possible that
something similar is happening to your mic volume.

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 6:47 AM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it just Skype? Can you record into another application (e.g. audacity)?.
> If not then you probably need to mess with the mixer (alsamixer) or KMix to
> select the correct audio input. Depending on your sound card there might be
> some alsa module options that need to be set. What computer is it?
>
> Mark
>
> On 13 Dec 2011, at 12:15, Errol Sapir wrote:
>
> I have had a microphone/sound problem with Kubuntu while trying to use Skype
> since version Nattty. I thought that by upgrading to Oneiric the problem
> would be solved but that wasn't what happened. I cannot use the microphone
> in Skype. The loudspeakers work, i.e. I hear but cannot speak to anyone, not
> even does the test microphone work. On the same computer my dual-booted
> Windows 7 works flawlessly.
> I have (in the past) removed pulse-sound, tried working without it, added it
> again and tried many workarounds to no avail. Any solution will be
> appreciated.
> TIA
> Errol

no .sig found
Please restart your browser.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Errol Sapir

Mark I don't know if it's just skype. The only program I need a
microphone for is Skype. To answer your hardware question. I have a
Gigabit GA K8NF motherboard with everything OB except the monitor
card which is a NVidia.I have a AMD 3500 CPU and 2 giga ram. Hope
that info is useful.

Errol

[...]

--*

kubuntu-users mailing list

kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 12-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Errol Sapir

The kmix seems to be configured ok. Nothing I can see as not
configured correctly. I;m not sure how to see the configuration of
alsamixer.

Errol

Old 12-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Girard Henri

I have had a microphone/sound problem with Kubuntu while trying
to use Skype since version Nattty. I thought that by upgrading
to Oneiric the problem would be solved but that wasn't what
happened. I cannot use the microphone in Skype. The loudspeakers
work, i.e. I hear but cannot speak to anyone, not even does the
test microphone work. On the same computer my dual-booted
Windows 7 works flawlessly.

I have (in the past) removed pulse-sound, tried working without
it, added it again and tried many workarounds to no avail. Any
solution will be appreciated.

TIA

Errol

I had the same problem ... I lost of lot of time finding what it was
!

I don't know if it the same for you, but in case :

click on speaker icon

then look on tab in for your micro and check it's on right option

for me it was installed on front but I am using rear, changing front
with rear everything went ok !!!

I can tell you i spend a lot of time to find this out !!! But i had
formerly a pc working with front so i checked and it was it !

So maybe you have the same problem ?

regards

Henri

Old 12-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Mark Greenwood

Mark I don't know if it's just skype. The only program I need a
microphone for is Skype. To answer your hardware question. I have a
Gigabit GA K8NF motherboard with everything OB except the monitor
card which is a NVidia.I have a AMD 3500 CPU and 2 giga ram. Hope
that info is useful.

The most useful information would be to try recording with something else, like audacity. This will tell you if it's a Skype problem or if you just need to select an appropriate input in KMix.
Mark

Errol

Old 12-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Errol Sapir

mmmm. Getting no recording on audacity.

When I try to open kmix the icon bounces for a few seconds and then
closes. I cannot open kmix. Tried re-installing & rebooting but
no change. Looks like my problem is there.

I can control the speaker volume from the icon on the panel, but no
kmix.

Now what?

Errol

Old 12-15-2011, 03:15 AM
Errol Sapir

Thanks Mark. I opened the kmix and am now starting to play with
various combinations of hardware and setting possibilities.
Meanwhile to no avail. The sound can be heard but no microphone.
Will continue to experiment and report but my feeling is that the
whole configuration is wrong. Maybe "pulseaudio server (local)"
which is the only option I have in skype for sound isn't correct. I
don't know.

Errol

Old 12-15-2011, 05:11 AM
"O. Sinclair"

--

Have you checked in System Settings - Multimedia - Phonon to make sure
your hardware is "enabled" the correct chosen, especially (needless to

Old 12-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Gil Gibbons

Hi Errol,

I use Skype with a Logitech 9000 usb web cam and under Multimedia
setting Phonon audio recording,

Recording, I changed the audio recording preference from Internal
audio to QuickCam Pro 9000

and Audio is working.

Gil