Old 01-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Mark Greenwood

Default sound with skype

On 28 Jan 2012, at 16:01, Nigel Ridley wrote:

> On 01/28/2012 04:07 PM, O. Sinclair wrote:

>>> After reading this thread I got encouraged and installed skype on my
>>> children's natty box.
>>> I can get sound from skype but no recording. We have a usb logitech
>>> webcam with built in mic; a usb headset and a regular 3.5 (?) jack plug
>>> headset. None of them work with skype but do work with audacity.
>>> I have tried all the settings I can find, those included in this thread
>>> and others but can't get the recording working with skype.
>>>

>> My standard recommendation is to install Veromix widget to control Pulseaudio - it is WAY better
>> than KMix. In my opinion. To get KDE to activate built-in mic instead of line-in can be strangely
>> difficult.
>>
>> But check System Settings - Multimedia - Phonon and the different tabs there to make sure it is
>> activated
>>

> I tried installing the Veromix widget but it failed to download (problem with connection to opendektop.org) so I manually downloaded it but it failed to install (is it really only 6.3kb?) But now when I try again from the 'Add new widgets' the 'install' button now says 'installing' and is grayed out. How do I get it to forget that I have already tried (and failed) to install it?

Try, from a terminal,

plasmapkg -r veromix

If that fails you could try to just delete it - it'll be in ~/.kde/share/apps/plasma or something along those lines (I'm not on a Kubuntu box to check)

Mark

Old 01-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Nigel Ridley

[...]

nigel@nigel:~$ plasmapkg -r veromix
Plugin veromix is not installed.
nigel@nigel:~$

The 'Add new widgets' 'install' button now says 'installing' and is still grayed out.

Nigel

Old 01-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Nigel Ridley

[...]

I managed to install it OK on my boy's box (I [unsuccessfully] tried on my laptop first) but I
still can't get skype (nor cheese) to recognize the inbuilt mic on the webcam, however audacity
has no problems..... Perhaps skype needs to add a menu similar to audacity's where you can choose
the mic....

In System Settings > Multimedia >> Phonon the webcam is grayed out and although there is another
usb device (maybe the webcam - I don't know, but it is the only usb device attached) but moving
it to the top of the list doesn't help.

<smallRant>
Why can't all the sound settings be in one place?
</smallRant>

Nigel

Old 01-28-2012, 04:05 PM
Clay Weber

Nigel Ridley <nigel@prayingforisrael.net> wrote:
On 01/28/2012 06:14 PM, Mark Greenwood wrote:

> On 28 Jan 2012, at 16:01, Nigel Ridley wrote:

>>> My standard recommendation is to install Veromix widget to control Pulseaudio - it is WAY better
>>> than KMix. In my opinion. To get KDE to activate built-in mic instead of line-in can be strangely
>>> difficult.
>>>
>>> But check System Settings - Multimedia - Phonon and the different tabs there to make sure it is
>>> activated
>>>

>> I tried installing the Veromix widget but it failed to download (problem with connection to opendektop.org) so I manually downloaded it but it failed to install (is it really only 6.3kb?) But now when I try again from the 'Add new widgets' the 'install' button now says 'installing' and is grayed out. How do I get it to forget that I have already tried (and failed) to install it?
>>

> Try, from a terminal,
>
> plasmapkg -r veromix

nigel@nigel:~$ plasmapkg -r veromix
Plugin veromix is not installed.
nigel@nigel:~$

The 'Add new widgets' 'install' button now says 'installing' and is still grayed out.

Nigel

> If that fails you could try to just delete it - it'll be in ~/.kde/share/apps/plasma or something along those lines (I'm not on a Kubuntu box to check)
>
> Mark
>

>> Nigel
>>

>> --

Try installing it via apt or a package manager? Plasma-widget-veromix

--

Clay Weber

Sent from my phone--

Old 01-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Mark Greenwood

On 28 Jan 2012, at 17:03, Nigel Ridley wrote:

> On 01/28/2012 04:07 PM, O. Sinclair wrote:

>>> After reading this thread I got encouraged and installed skype on my
>>> children's natty box.
>>> I can get sound from skype but no recording. We have a usb logitech
>>> webcam with built in mic; a usb headset and a regular 3.5 (?) jack plug
>>> headset. None of them work with skype but do work with audacity.
>>> I have tried all the settings I can find, those included in this thread
>>> and others but can't get the recording working with skype.
>>>

>> My standard recommendation is to install Veromix widget to control Pulseaudio - it is WAY better
>> than KMix. In my opinion. To get KDE to activate built-in mic instead of line-in can be strangely
>> difficult.
>>
>> But check System Settings - Multimedia - Phonon and the different tabs there to make sure it is
>> activated
>>

> I managed to install it OK on my boy's box (I [unsuccessfully] tried on my laptop first) but I still can't get skype (nor cheese) to recognize the inbuilt mic on the webcam, however audacity has no problems..... Perhaps skype needs to add a menu similar to audacity's where you can choose the mic....
>
> In System Settings > Multimedia >> Phonon the webcam is grayed out and although there is another usb device (maybe the webcam - I don't know, but it is the only usb device attached) but moving it to the top of the list doesn't help.
>
> <smallRant>
> Why can't all the sound settings be in one place?
> </smallRant>

Couldn't agree more, it's incredibly confusing at the moment.

Skype does allow you to choose a mic input but only if Pulseaudio is not running. When pulse audio is running the assumption is that pulseaudio chooses which inputs and outputs to use for which app and remembers them.

When you have KMix open, there should be, on the inputs tab, an entry for Skype. Right-clicking somewhere on this ought to bring up a menu which will allow you to choose which physical input to connect to Skype. It's far from obvious but it is there somewhere.

Mark

Old 01-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Nigel Ridley

I tried installing the Veromix widget but it failed to download

(problem with connection to opendektop.org) so I manually downloaded it
but it failed to install (is it really only 6.3kb?) But now when I try
again from the 'Add new widgets' the 'install' button now says
'installing' and is grayed out. How do I get it to forget that I have

Try installing it via apt or a package manager? Plasma-widget-veromix

nigel@nigel:~$ sudo apt-get install Plasma-widget-veromix
[sudo] password for nigel:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package Plasma-widget-veromix
nigel@nigel:~$

Nigel

Old 01-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Clay Weber

Nigel Ridley <nigel@prayingforisrael.net> wrote:
On 01/28/2012 07:05 PM, Clay Weber wrote:
> Nigel Ridley<nigel@prayingforisrael.net> wrote:
<big snip>
>> (problem with connection to opendektop.org) so I manually downloaded it
>> but it failed to install (is it really only 6.3kb?) But now when I try
>> again from the 'Add new widgets' the 'install' button now says
>> 'installing' and is grayed out. How do I get it to forget that I have
> Try installing it via apt or a package manager? Plasma-widget-veromix

nigel@nigel:~$ sudo apt-get install Plasma-widget-veromix
[sudo] password for nigel:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package Plasma-widget-veromix
nigel@nigel:~$

Nigel
Sorry, phone auto capped it (and I missed it), use lower case.

--

Clay Weber

Sent from my phone--

Old 01-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Leslie Anne Chatterton

Is it just a coincidence that Microsoft bought Skype, and now it's
getting hard for non-MS operating systems to use it?

Old 01-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Saturday 28 January 2012 16:50:01 Leslie Anne Chatterton wrote:
> Is it just a coincidence that Microsoft bought Skype, and now it's
> getting hard for non-MS operating systems to use it?

Yes - current release is the same as prior to MS purchase.

--
Lindsay

Old 01-29-2012, 06:18 AM
Girard Henri

I have ubuntu 12.04, but the other versions had same problem with
skype : video (v4l) not being in the same dir (googling get the info)
and sound : Under gnome micro is set in front instead being rear (just
adjust it in mix preferences>input).
Sure now with ms acquisition I wonder if he will keeps his word about
improving not only skype windows but all platform ? Maybe mac but linux
i doubt ?