Old 12-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Nigel Ridley

Default Which ppa for kde?

Kubuntu 11.0
I'm having a few issues with KDE 4.7.2 and was thinking about adding the ppa for KDE 4.7.3
I don't want to mess up my system but would like the advantages of a more reliable KDE.

Which ppa is recommended:
Kubuntu Backports [https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/backports]
or
Kubuntu Updates [https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ppa]?

TIA,

Nigel

Old 12-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Mark Greenwood

The updates PPA currently has KDE 4.7.3. It's a staging PPA for packages that are intended to go into the main updates repo at some point. If you want to get the next KDE release right away this is the one to enable, but bear in mind you're basically beta-testing if you install from there. If you wait until the packages make it into main updates then there's a chance that a few bugs will have been fixed.

The backports PPA is generally used for KDE point releases backported from the next Kubuntu release, so it's probably empty at the moment.

Mark

Old 12-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Nigel Ridley

The updates PPA currently has KDE 4.7.3. It's a staging PPA for packages that are intended to go into the main updates repo at some point. If you want to get the next KDE release right away this is the one to enable, but bear in mind you're basically beta-testing if you install from there. If you wait until the packages make it into main updates then there's a chance that a few bugs will have been fixed.

The backports PPA is generally used for KDE point releases backported from the next Kubuntu release, so it's probably empty at the moment.

Mark

It seems as if I'm already a beta tester :-( so it shouldn't be a problem adding the updates PPA
and continuing to be a beta tester.....

Nigel

I'm having a few issues with KDE 4.7.2 and was thinking about adding the ppa for KDE 4.7.3
I don't want to mess up my system but would like the advantages of a more reliable KDE.

Which ppa is recommended:
Kubuntu Backports [https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/backports]
or
Kubuntu Updates [https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ppa]?

TIA,

Nigel

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/
nigel@prayingforisrael.net

Old 12-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Leslie Anne Chatterton

There's nothing wrong with using your customers as unpaid beta testers... MS has been doing it for years!

Sent from my Motorola Xoom Android tablet

Old 12-13-2011, 04:53 PM
doug

I'm having a few issues with KDE 4.7.2 and was thinking about adding
the ppa for KDE 4.7.3
I don't want to mess up my system but would like the advantages of a
more reliable KDE.

Which ppa is recommended:
Kubuntu Backports [https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/backports]
or
Kubuntu Updates [https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ppa]?

TIA,

Nigel

I have seen "ppa" used a lot in the last couple of weeks. What does it
mean?

--doug

Old 12-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Nils Kassube

doug wrote:
> I have seen "ppa" used a lot in the last couple of weeks. What does
> it mean?

According to
<http://www.bing.com/search?q=ubuntu+ppa&qs=ns&form=QBLH&filt=all>
you should find the answer here: <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas>

Nils

Old 12-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Clay Weber

On Tuesday, December 13, 2011 09:19:31 PM Nils Kassube wrote:
> doug wrote:
> > I have seen "ppa" used a lot in the last couple of weeks. What does
> > it mean?
>
> According to
> <http://www.bing.com/search?q=ubuntu+ppa&qs=ns&form=QBLH&filt=all>
> you should find the answer here: <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas>
>

> Nils
Actually, though that ppa does have 4.7.3, fresh packages are now in the -
proposed repo (pre-release updates in your software sources config in the
Updates tab). These are for further testing before they can be made available
as an official update.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net