Old 12-12-2011, 05:42 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default Nepomukindexer

Has anyone else experienced that nepomukindexer grabs 25% of CPU -
especially when it indexes pdf files?

And can someone explain why it keeps reindexing files I have not touched
"since forever"?

Kindly
Sinclair

Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 AM
Georgi Kourtev

I have the same issue. The CPU usahe is even more than 25%.

Gk

На 12.12.2011 08:44 "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair@gmail.com> написа:

Old 12-12-2011, 02:48 PM
uteck

KDE gets so close to being awesome, but things like nepomuk just drag
it down into a nigh gnomish nightmare.
Once I disabled it from running my system became usable again.

2011/12/12 Georgi Kourtev <gkourtev@gmail.com>:
> I have the same issue. The CPU usahe is even more than 25%.
> Gk
>
> На 12.12.2011 08:44 "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair@gmail.com> написа:
>
>> Has anyone else experienced that nepomukindexer grabs 25% of CPU -
>> especially when it indexes pdf files?
>>
>> And can someone explain why it keeps reindexing files I have not touched
>> "since forever"?
>>
>> Kindly
>> Sinclair
>>
>> --

no .sig found
Please restart your browser.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Mark Greenwood

On 12 Dec 2011, at 06:42, O. Sinclair wrote:

> Has anyone else experienced that nepomukindexer grabs 25% of CPU - especially when it indexes pdf files?

Yeah, because it's crap

> And can someone explain why it keeps reindexing files I have not touched "since forever"?

See above Same reason it keeps reindexing files on my external disc even though I've told it not to.

Are there any vacancies for paid software testers at Canonical? Because I'm fed up of doing it for free.

Mark

Old 12-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Monday, December 12, 2011 09:48:04 uteck wrote:
> KDE gets so close to being awesome, but things like nepomuk just drag
> it down into a nigh gnomish nightmare.
> Once I disabled it from running my system became usable again.
>
> 2011/12/12 Georgi Kourtev <gkourtev@gmail.com>:

+1

and add my vote to do away with akonadi

Old 12-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Kaj Haulrich

KDE gets so close to being awesome, but things like nepomuk just drag
it down into a nigh gnomish nightmare.
Once I disabled it from running my system became usable again.

--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 12.04 ---------

Old 12-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Jonas Norlander

2011/12/12 uteck <theuteck@gmail.com>:
> KDE gets so close to being awesome, but things like nepomuk just drag
> it down into a nigh gnomish nightmare.
> Once I disabled it from running my system became usable again.

Sebastian Trg has done a lot of work in Nepomuk recently and many
high CPU bugs has been fixed. I don't know which version of KDE but
some are in 4.7.*. So it's getting better. You can read his blog for
more info http://trueg.wordpress.com/

/ Jonas

Old 12-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Mark Greenwood

On 12 Dec 2011, at 19:22, Jonas Norlander wrote:

> 2011/12/12 uteck <theuteck@gmail.com>:
>> KDE gets so close to being awesome, but things like nepomuk just drag
>> it down into a nigh gnomish nightmare.
>> Once I disabled it from running my system became usable again.
>>

> Sebastian Trüg has done a lot of work in Nepomuk recently and many
> high CPU bugs has been fixed. I don't know which version of KDE but
> some are in 4.7.*. So it's getting better. You can read his blog for
> more info http://trueg.wordpress.com/

That's great and I'm glad somebody is looking at it, but from my point of view this is KDE 4.7.. the important part of that is SEVEN… we're coming up to what, 2 years and 7 major releases since KDE 4.0 and this stuff still doesn't work. Why is it even in there at all?

Whoever's behind KDE needs to take a big deep breath and realise that people try to use their software as a part of their lives. Including components which aren't finished and don't work and are a nightmare to configure (akonadi has been this way since its first release) gives KDE 4 a VERY bad reputation. I still think the idea behind nepomuk and strigi is a good one, but the implementation of it is nowhere near ready for everyday use. It's annoying a lot of people and making many switch away from KDE. Perhaps they don't care, but I do.

Mark

Old 12-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Steve Riley

Disabling these things doesn't seem good enough...bits still hang
around. I've had decent success with this:

$ sudo -i

# cd /

# for i in `find -iname '*akonadi*'`; do rm -rvf $i; done

# for i in `find -iname '*nepomuk*'`; do rm -rvf $i; done

# apt-get install libnepomukutils4

That last one is required and it will pull in libnepomukquery4a and
libnepomuk4; without those, kdeinit will fail (that's what I
observed on my 12.04 alpha 1 test PC, anyway). You'll also need to
edit ~/.config/Trolltech.conf and remove all lines with references
to "akonadi" and "nepomuk."

Yes, this is truly a blunt way to get rid of something, it probably
will cause update problems as time moves on, it might even kill your
pets and rip a hole in space. Don't do it! Unless you're prepared to
handle unknown consequences

Steve Riley

stvrly@gmail.com

+1 (206) 412-1097

Once I disabled it from running my system became usable again.