FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Adding home folder/trash can to desktop + plea for simplicity

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On 11/12/11 10:17, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > It is already available in version 4.4.5 (Lucid) and maybe earlier.
> > However you need the option "Different widgets for each desktop"
> > enabled (even in 12.04).

> As I understand it this just means that I can have different icons on
> each desktop, not different backgrounds. Or am I wrong about that?

Yes. With "Different widgets for each desktop" enabled you can change
the backgrounds for the desktops individually. If I understand it
correctly, icons and backgrounds are handled the same way in KDE4.
Therefore if you disable "Different widgets for each desktop", you don't
get different backgrounds either. Of course that doesn't make much sense
to a "normal" user like you and me who isn't familiar with the inner
working of KDE4.

> With KDE3, if I right clicked on the desktop and chose to change the
> settings I saw a list of all the desktops so I could choose each one
> separately and set the background colour as wanted. Now, with KDE4, I
> don't see a list of the desktops, the only choice is 'Default
> desktop'. Anything I do here changes all desktops together. Or am I
> missing something?

Did you first enable "Different widgets for each desktop" at the pager
settings? Well, that's another point which doesn't make much sense to a
normal user because I would have expected to also find the pager
settings when I right-click on the desktop and select "Desktop
settings". Anyway, I don't see something like "default desktop" here
independent from the "different widgets" option. But if that option is
enabled, I can change the background for the current desktop. Then I
close the desktop settings window and switch to the next desktop. There
I go to desktop settings again and I can change the background for this
desktop, leaving the first unchanged.


Nils

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Neil Winchurst
 
Default Adding home folder/trash can to desktop + plea for simplicity

On 11/12/11 13:10, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> On 11/12/11 10:17, Nils Kassube wrote:
>>> It is already available in version 4.4.5 (Lucid) and maybe earlier.
>>> However you need the option "Different widgets for each desktop"
>>> enabled (even in 12.04).
>
>> As I understand it this just means that I can have different icons on
>> each desktop, not different backgrounds. Or am I wrong about that?
>
> Yes. With "Different widgets for each desktop" enabled you can change
> the backgrounds for the desktops individually. If I understand it
> correctly, icons and backgrounds are handled the same way in KDE4.
> Therefore if you disable "Different widgets for each desktop", you don't
> get different backgrounds either. Of course that doesn't make much sense
> to a "normal" user like you and me who isn't familiar with the inner
> working of KDE4.
>
I don't know where to find 'Different widgets for each desktop'. I don't
remember ever seeing that. However I will go on searching.

Regards

Neil

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Neil Winchurst
 
Default Adding home folder/trash can to desktop + plea for simplicity

On 11/12/11 13:10, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> On 11/12/11 10:17, Nils Kassube wrote:
>>> It is already available in version 4.4.5 (Lucid) and maybe earlier.
>>> However you need the option "Different widgets for each desktop"
>>> enabled (even in 12.04).
>
>> As I understand it this just means that I can have different icons on
>> each desktop, not different backgrounds. Or am I wrong about that?
>
> Yes. With "Different widgets for each desktop" enabled you can change
> the backgrounds for the desktops individually. If I understand it
> correctly, icons and backgrounds are handled the same way in KDE4.
> Therefore if you disable "Different widgets for each desktop", you don't
> get different backgrounds either. Of course that doesn't make much sense
> to a "normal" user like you and me who isn't familiar with the inner
> working of KDE4.
>
OK. I have now found it, but it is no use to me. When I enabled it I
expected the icons already set up to remain, like in KDE3, but they all
disappeared. This would mean having to recreate all my icons on each
desktop. Whose bright idea was that?

As I have already said previously, why couldn't the developers leave
things as they were? For me at least I consider the background for a
desktop and the icons on it to be separate entities. When I add a new
icon it doesn't affect the background. I expect the opposite to be the
case too.

I give up,

Neil

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Kaj Haulrich
 
Default Adding home folder/trash can to desktop + plea for simplicity

On 12/11/2011 10:20 PM, Neil Winchurst wrote:

On 11/12/11 13:10, Nils Kassube wrote:

Neil Winchurst wrote:

On 11/12/11 10:17, Nils Kassube wrote:

It is already available in version 4.4.5 (Lucid) and maybe earlier.
However you need the option "Different widgets for each desktop"
enabled (even in 12.04).



As I understand it this just means that I can have different icons on
each desktop, not different backgrounds. Or am I wrong about that?


Yes. With "Different widgets for each desktop" enabled you can change
the backgrounds for the desktops individually. If I understand it
correctly, icons and backgrounds are handled the same way in KDE4.
Therefore if you disable "Different widgets for each desktop", you don't
get different backgrounds either. Of course that doesn't make much sense
to a "normal" user like you and me who isn't familiar with the inner
working of KDE4.


I don't know where to find 'Different widgets for each desktop'. I don't
remember ever seeing that. However I will go on searching.


Right-click the pager (virtual desktops) --> pager settings --> virtual
desktops -->Different widgets for each desktop.


HTH
Kaj Haulrich.
--
--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 12.04 ---------

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Mark Greenwood
 
Default Adding home folder/trash can to desktop + plea for simplicity

On 11 Dec 2011, at 21:33, Neil Winchurst wrote:

> On 11/12/11 13:10, Nils Kassube wrote:
>> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>> On 11/12/11 10:17, Nils Kassube wrote:
>>>> It is already available in version 4.4.5 (Lucid) and maybe earlier.
>>>> However you need the option "Different widgets for each desktop"
>>>> enabled (even in 12.04).
>>
>>> As I understand it this just means that I can have different icons on
>>> each desktop, not different backgrounds. Or am I wrong about that?
>>
>> Yes. With "Different widgets for each desktop" enabled you can change
>> the backgrounds for the desktops individually. If I understand it
>> correctly, icons and backgrounds are handled the same way in KDE4.
>> Therefore if you disable "Different widgets for each desktop", you don't
>> get different backgrounds either. Of course that doesn't make much sense
>> to a "normal" user like you and me who isn't familiar with the inner
>> working of KDE4.
>>
> OK. I have now found it, but it is no use to me. When I enabled it I
> expected the icons already set up to remain, like in KDE3, but they all
> disappeared. This would mean having to recreate all my icons on each
> desktop. Whose bright idea was that?
>
> As I have already said previously, why couldn't the developers leave
> things as they were? For me at least I consider the background for a
> desktop and the icons on it to be separate entities. When I add a new
> icon it doesn't affect the background. I expect the opposite to be the
> case too.
>
> I give up,

It's another case of not thinking it through and not testing it properly. Seems to be the way with many things KDE these days.

We have a bewildering and overcomplicated array of things now - plasma desktop, multiple desktops, multiple activities, even multiple monitors. How anybody expected all that to come together and be intelligible by anybody is beyond me. It still doesn't make me want to use Gnome, but it's just TOO MUCH.

Mark


>
> Neil
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Adding home folder/trash can to desktop + plea for simplicity

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> OK. I have now found it, but it is no use to me. When I enabled it I
> expected the icons already set up to remain, like in KDE3, but they
> all disappeared.

That's right - wasn't that one of the points which created this thread
in the first place?

> This would mean having to recreate all my icons on
> each desktop.

Or recreate all icons only once in a folder view widget. To show how it
might look like, I attached a picture of 4 desktops with different
background which was actually made from 4 screen shots of the various
desktops.

First I enabled the "Different widgets for each desktop" option. Then I
changed the background for each desktop to an individual color. Next I
added a folder view widget to each desktop which all pointed to the same
directory (~/Desktop). In the folder view of one of the desktops I
created the icons and they were of course visible on all 4 desktops.

> As I have already said previously, why couldn't the developers leave
> things as they were?

I think it's called "progress". Whether that kind of progress is good or
bad is debatable and probably depends on personal preferences.


Nils
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Neil Winchurst
 
Default Adding home folder/trash can to desktop + plea for simplicity

On 12/12/11 08:57, Nils Kassube wrote:
>
> Or recreate all icons only once in a folder view widget. To show how it
> might look like, I attached a picture of 4 desktops with different
> background which was actually made from 4 screen shots of the various
> desktops.
>
> First I enabled the "Different widgets for each desktop" option. Then I
> changed the background for each desktop to an individual color. Next I
> added a folder view widget to each desktop which all pointed to the same
> directory (~/Desktop). In the folder view of one of the desktops I
> created the icons and they were of course visible on all 4 desktops.
>
>> As I have already said previously, why couldn't the developers leave
>> things as they were?
>
> I think it's called "progress". Whether that kind of progress is good or
> bad is debatable and probably depends on personal preferences.
>
Thanks for the help, I will have a look at it. It still seems a long
winded way to do something that was so easy in KDE3.

On your last point, I fail to see how removing something that is working
well can be called 'progress'. I thought progress meant either
improving/correcting something that is not working quite right or adding
something new.

Oh well, press on

Neil


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Adding home folder/trash can to desktop + plea for simplicity

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On your last point, I fail to see how removing something that is
> working well can be called 'progress'.

Well, IIRC, this is a major rewrite and the feature of different
backgrounds for each desktop wasn't actually removed. Instead it wasn't
implemented in the beginning of KDE4. Only after many people requested
this feature it was implemented, but in a way which is unfortunately
quite different to the KDE3 feature.


Nils

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Neil Winchurst
 
Default Adding home folder/trash can to desktop + plea for simplicity

On 12/12/11 20:11, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> On your last point, I fail to see how removing something that is
>> working well can be called 'progress'.
>
> Well, IIRC, this is a major rewrite and the feature of different
> backgrounds for each desktop wasn't actually removed. Instead it wasn't
> implemented in the beginning of KDE4. Only after many people requested
> this feature it was implemented, but in a way which is unfortunately
> quite different to the KDE3 feature.
>
>
> Nils
>
OK. I accept that it was a rewrite so they had to decide what to include
and what to leave out. But if, as you say, this was requested by many
people why not implement it as it was originally. The current way of
working it is so messy and long winded.

Anyway, that is enough, I suggest. You have explained what to do now,
and I am pretty sure that I won't be bothering. And one of the (many)
things I like about Linux is that it is 'very customisable'!!

Regards

Neil

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:54 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org