Old 12-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Jim Cunning

Default AMD A4-Series APU A4-3400 compatibility

Hello all,

I am looking at purchasing an Acer desktop computer with an AMD
A4-Series APU A4-3400(2.7Hz) processor. I assume the CPU itself is
x86_64 compatible, but was wondering about the graphics compatibility.
I didn't see anything from Google to give me a clue. Anyone have
experience with this processor? Any caveats?

Thanks,
Jim Cunning

Old 12-06-2011, 04:22 PM
uteck

That is one of the new Bobcat or Llano chips., I Googled for "ubuntu bobcat apu"
The AMD forum has some good reviews of it working very well with 11.04
http://www.amdzone.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=532&t=138280&start=100

I am looking at purchasing an Acer desktop computer with an AMD

A4-Series APU A4-3400(2.7Hz) processor. *I assume the CPU itself is

x86_64 compatible, but was wondering about the graphics compatibility.

I didn't see anything from Google to give me a clue. *Anyone have

experience with this processor? Any caveats?

Thanks,

Jim Cunning

no .sig found
Please restart your browser.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Jim Cunning

Update:* I purchased the product and tried to install 11.04.* The
install CD first displays "error: prefix is not set", then grub
gives me the choice of "Start Kubuntu" or "Check disc for defects"

Regardless of which selection I choose, the screen goes blank, and
eventually the monitor reports "No signal".* Despite this, I believe
the system is booting because I can hear and see CD drive activity.*
If I select "Check disc for defects" the drive remains active for
quite some time, confirming my suspicions.* The problem is that the
video never comes back after the initial grub screen.*

The behavior is the same with 11.10, however 10.04 LTS does boot,
successfully and install completely.* The problem with 10.04 LTS is
that the video is only 1280x1024 on a 1920x1080 monitor, and eth0 is
recognized and sends DHCP requests, but never receives the responses
from the router.* I know the LAN interface works with Windows 7 in
the remaining partition on the disk.

I also tried installing from a USB stick and got the same results as
with install CDs.

Anyone know what kind of grub/kernel boot parameters I can used to
get a video display to continue a 11.04 or 11.10 install?

Thanks,

Jim Cunning

Old 12-09-2011, 12:42 AM

My Atom system does something similar. I have to pass 'nomodeset' to grub and
and add it to /etc/default/grub to see the video. If I boot into recovery
mode I can still see the screen so I can make the edit, so hopefully that is
the same for you.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Mark Greenwood

It's plymouth. You'll probably find that if you boot into recovery mode and then just select 'continue normal boot', you'll boot up just fine. Otherwise 'nomodeset' is the way.

If there are proprietary video drivers for your card, install them. It fixed the problem for me.

Mark

Old 12-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Thomas Olsen

On Friday 09 December 2011 11:11 Mark Greenwood wrote:
> It's plymouth. You'll probably find that if you boot into recovery mode and
> then just select 'continue normal boot', you'll boot up just fine.
> Otherwise 'nomodeset' is the way.

Freakin' Plymouth again - nothing but trouble :-/

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mountall/+bug/556372

Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Olsen

Old 12-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Jon Trulson

It's plymouth. You'll probably find that if you boot into recovery mode and
then just select 'continue normal boot', you'll boot up just fine.
Otherwise 'nomodeset' is the way.

Freakin' Plymouth again - nothing but trouble :-/

Agreed.

What's it's purpose anyway?

[...]

--
Jon Trulson

"The truth points to itself." -- Kosh

Old 12-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Mark Greenwood

Plymouth is part of the boot-up sequence. Since Ubuntu became obsessed with boot-up speed, they switched away from the 'traditional' rc.d/init.d way of starting things on boot and began using upstart. I think plymouth is required because of this. The problem is caused by the way it displays its splash screen, hence if you boot into recovery mode and then just select 'continue normal boot' you avoid the splash screen and therefore avoid the problem. This isn't possible when you're installing from the graphical installer, so you need to add 'nomodeset' to the kernel command line.

It could be argued that the problem is not plymouth directly, but rather the way some graphics cards work, or the way the kernel handles graphics mode setting. But since the cards that tend to give problems are ATI and NVIDIA, and these account for a large share of the market, it would seem sensible to make plymouth work in those cases and not regard them as 'problems that the manufacturers should fix'.

On my NVIDIA systems, one works OK but the other has this issue - it can also depend on your monitor, something to do with the EDID. Once I'd got Kubuntu installed, I installed the NVIDIA proprietary driver. This forces plymouth to use a framebuffer for its splash screen, and this makes the problem go away. If this doesn't work for you then you'll need to add 'nomodeset' to the grub command line.

Mark

Old 12-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Friday, December 09, 2011 13:57:18 Mark Greenwood wrote:
> Once I'd got Kubuntu installed, I installed the NVIDIA proprietary driver.
> This forces plymouth to use a framebuffer for its splash screen, and this
> makes the problem go away. If this doesn't work for you then you'll need to
> add 'nomodeset' to the grub command line.

I started to install the proprietary NVidia drivers (290.10) but apt-get
complained about removing a whole bunch of stuff.... I backed off. Did you
have any problems with the install? (I would guess not)

Old 12-09-2011, 02:27 PM
uteck

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com> wrote:

On Friday, December 09, 2011 13:57:18 Mark Greenwood wrote:

> Once I'd got Kubuntu installed, I installed the NVIDIA proprietary driver.

> This forces plymouth to use a framebuffer for its splash screen, and this

> makes the problem go away. If this doesn't work for you then you'll need to

> add 'nomodeset' to the grub command line.

I started to install the proprietary NVidia drivers (290.10) but apt-get

complained about removing a whole bunch of stuff.... *I backed off. * Did you

have any problems with the install? *(I would guess not)

For the AMD processor in the subject you need the AMD/ATI Radeon driver since it has AMD graphics baked into the CPU.