-   -   KDE Hang While Starts (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/606426-kde-hang-while-starts.html)

Zaki Akhmad 12-05-2011 02:30 AM

KDE Hang While Starts

Hello,

I am using Kubuntu 11.10. The KDE is look like hang while starts. It
took very long for the splash screen.

What should I do to get the detailed error log?

Thanks!

--
Zaki Akhmad

12-05-2011 02:39 AM

KDE Hang While Starts

On Monday, December 05, 2011 10:30:36 AM Zaki Akhmad wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Kubuntu 11.10. The KDE is look like hang while starts. It
> took very long for the splash screen.
>
> What should I do to get the detailed error log?
>
> Thanks!

Look in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/message, they may show what is going on.
Does it do this every time, or just this once? My gut reaction is that it was
running a fsck on a partition. You can normally press ESC to see what is
going on under the splash screen.

Zaki Akhmad 12-05-2011 06:49 AM

KDE Hang While Starts

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 10:39 AM, <theuteck@gmail.com> wrote:

> Look in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/message, they may show what is going on.
> Does it do this every time, or just this once? *My gut reaction is that it was
> running a fsck on a partition. *You can normally press ESC to see what is
> going on under the splash screen.

I think I'm using wrong word.

It's look like hang after I entered my userid & password at the KDM.
The splash screen after I log in. It took me around 3 minutes to get
my KDE plasma starts.

How to solve this problem? Which log I should see?

--
Zaki Akhmad

Thomas Olsen 12-05-2011 08:20 AM

KDE Hang While Starts

On Monday 05 December 2011 14:49 Zaki Akhmad wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 10:39 AM, <theuteck@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Look in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/message, they may show what is going
> > on. Does it do this every time, or just this once? My gut reaction is
> > that it was running a fsck on a partition. You can normally press ESC
> > to see what is going on under the splash screen.
>
> I think I'm using wrong word.
>
> It's look like hang after I entered my userid & password at the KDM.
> The splash screen after I log in. It took me around 3 minutes to get
> my KDE plasma starts.
>
> How to solve this problem? Which log I should see?

If it's after login you could have a look at ~/.xsession-errors
It's usually very bloated and doesn't have timestamps so it will probably be
hard to find the reason.

You could also try to create a new user account and see if login takes just as
long time. If it does it could indicate that it's a system wide problem.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Olsen

Zaki Akhmad 12-05-2011 09:48 AM

KDE Hang While Starts

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Thomas Olsen <thomas@tanghus.net> wrote:

> If it's after login you could have a look at ~/.xsession-errors
> It's usually very bloated and doesn't have timestamps so it will probably be
> hard to find the reason.

Yup, I could see the log now.

I think it's from nepomuk or akonadi service. How to reconfigure these things?

> You could also try to create a new user account and see if login takes just as
> long time. If it does it could indicate that it's a system wide problem.

Will try!

Thomas Olsen 12-05-2011 12:18 PM

KDE Hang While Starts

On Monday 05 December 2011 17:48 Zaki Akhmad wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Thomas Olsen <thomas@tanghus.net> wrote:
> > If it's after login you could have a look at ~/.xsession-errors
> > It's usually very bloated and doesn't have timestamps so it will
> > probably be hard to find the reason.
>
> Yup, I could see the log now.
>
> I think it's from nepomuk or akonadi service. How to reconfigure these
> things?

You could try to disable Nepomuk from System Settings/Desktop Search. If that
helps you should have narrowed it down enough to file a bug report on Nepomuk
imho.

Kaj Haulrich 12-05-2011 12:34 PM

KDE Hang While Starts