Old 11-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Daniel Manrique

Default Ubuntu Friendly programme and Kubuntu

Hello dear Kubuntuers!

I'm sure most of you are aware of the Ubuntu Friendly community hardware testing
programme that's currently being piloted. The idea is for members of the
community to run a quick test on how well their systems work with Ubuntu, and
submit this information to a website where data is aggregated and a useful
"friendliness" rating is generated for each model. This information is useful,
for instance, in determining which systems work well with Ubuntu, and whether a
particular hardware component is likely to work or give trouble.

The beta version of the website can be seen here:

http://friendly.ubuntu.com/

The website contains instructions on how to run the test client and submit
results; the test client is included in Ubuntu by default.

Our efforts have mainly been focused on Ubuntu, so while we have done some work
to enable Kubuntu users to run the tests (install checkbox-gtk and
gstreamer0.10-gconf), we are not too sure on how real Kubuntu users perceive the
whole Ubuntu Friendly experience: from client installation to running the test
suite, to submitting results and querying the webpage.

Thus we'd like to request your valuable help in ensuring that Ubuntu Friendly is
equally comfortable for Kubuntu users.

If you're interested in helping, we'd very much appreciate if you could join the
Ubuntu Friendly Squad (https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-friendly-squad, the link to
subscribe to the mailing list is at the bottom) and share your experiences using
Ubuntu Friendly with us. We'd also be quite grateful if you could help us test
any enhancements that may stem from testing done by Kubuntu users.

If you have any questions feel free to either ask on the Ubuntu Friendly mailing
list or email me directly.

Thanks for your help making this programme useful for more people, we hope to
hear from you soon!

- Daniel

Old 12-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Alvin

On Wednesday 30 November 2011 16:43:27 Daniel Manrique wrote:
> Hello dear Kubuntuers!
>
> [...]
> http://friendly.ubuntu.com/
>
> The website contains instructions on how to run the test client and submit
> results; the test client is included in Ubuntu by default.
>
> Our efforts have mainly been focused on Ubuntu, so while we have done some
> work to enable Kubuntu users to run the tests (install checkbox-gtk and
> gstreamer0.10-gconf), we are not too sure on how real Kubuntu users
> perceive the whole Ubuntu Friendly experience: from client installation to
> running the test suite, to submitting results and querying the webpage.
>
> Thus we'd like to request your valuable help in ensuring that Ubuntu
> Friendly is equally comfortable for Kubuntu users.
> [...]

I'm happy that Canonical asks Kubuntu users to join this initiative. You
should do things like this more often.

In this case, we'll need a bit more instructions.
- From the site: "It is in Ubuntu by default. Just search by Ubuntu Friendly
or System Testing in the Dash".
In Kubuntu, it's not installed by default. Let's use the command line to
find it:
~$ aptitude search friendly
i friendly-recovery - Make recovery more user-friendly
That's probably not the right package.

So, my humble suggestion would be: put the name of the needed package on that
site.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa

Hi!

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 8:09 AM, Alvin <info@alvin.be> wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 November 2011 16:43:27 Daniel Manrique wrote:
>> Hello dear Kubuntuers!
>>
>> [...]
>> http://friendly.ubuntu.com/
>>
>> The website contains instructions on how to run the test client and submit
>> results; the test client is included in Ubuntu by default.
>>
>> Our efforts have mainly been focused on Ubuntu, so while we have done some
>> work to enable Kubuntu users to run the tests (install checkbox-gtk and
>> gstreamer0.10-gconf), we are not too sure on how real Kubuntu users
>> perceive the whole Ubuntu Friendly experience: from client installation to
>> running the test suite, to submitting results and querying the webpage.
>>
>> Thus we'd like to request your valuable help in ensuring that Ubuntu
>> Friendly is equally comfortable for Kubuntu users.
>> [...]
>
> I'm happy that Canonical asks Kubuntu users to join this initiative. You
> should do things like this more often.
>
> In this case, we'll need a bit more instructions.
> - From the site: "It is in Ubuntu by default. Just search by Ubuntu Friendly
> or System Testing in the Dash".
> *In Kubuntu, it's not installed by default. Let's use the command line to
> find it:
> *~$ aptitude search friendly
> *i * friendly-recovery * * * * * *- Make recovery more user-friendly
> That's probably not the right package.
>
> So, my humble suggestion would be: put the name of the needed package on that
> site.

The package is checkbox-gtk , and the program's name (to find using
Kickoff) would be "System Testing"... but yes, you are right: the
instructions on the site are clearly aimed at Unity users.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Alvin

On Thursday 01 December 2011 08:41:50 Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
> [. ..]
> The package is checkbox-gtk , and the program's name (to find using
> Kickoff) would be "System Testing"... but yes, you are right: the
> instructions on the site are clearly aimed at Unity users.

Well, I got it to run, but it's about as stable as the current kdepim.

During the first audio test, I didn't hear any audio and something crashed.
Apport was able to file https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/898641
After that, the test suite crashed itself. Apport was unable to report that
problem: "Cannot connect to crash database".

Actually I don't worry too much about hardware compatibility. It deals mostly
with the kernel and compatibility will very similar to Ubuntu. If I were to
choose between guaranteed working audio, fancy 3D effects or a stable kdepim,
I'd choose the stable kdepim :-) We haven't had a proper default mail client
since the days of KDE3. This is personal of course. I don't pretend to speak
for the Kubuntu users community.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:43 PM

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Alvin <info@alvin.be> wrote:
> On Thursday 01 December 2011 08:41:50 Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
>> [. ..]
>> The package is checkbox-gtk , and the program's name (to find using
>> Kickoff) would be "System Testing"... but yes, you are right: the
>> instructions on the site are clearly aimed at Unity users.
>
> Well, I got it to run, but it's about as stable as the current kdepim.

well... kdepim is a little less stable.

> During the first audio test, I didn't hear any audio and something crashed.
> Apport was able to file https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/898641
> After that, the test suite crashed itself. Apport was unable to report that
> problem: "Cannot connect to crash database".
>
> Actually I don't worry too much about hardware compatibility. It deals mostly
> with the kernel and compatibility will very similar to Ubuntu. If I were to
> choose between guaranteed working audio, fancy 3D effects or a stable kdepim,
> I'd choose the stable kdepim :-) We haven't had a proper default mail client
> since the days of KDE3. This is personal of course. I don't pretend to speak
> for the Kubuntu users community.

+1 here, I want to get out of thunderbird... but kdepim is not working
properly... yet.

Anyway, I had better luck with the checkbox app, but it didn't
detected when I inserted the usb storage device, even though KDE saw
it, and I was able to use it. However, USB plug test was successful,
so, maybe it depends on something from Unity to tell if the USB
storage was inserted.

Ildefonso.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 11:13:00 AM Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
> > I'd choose the stable kdepim We haven't had a proper default mail
> > client
> > since the days of KDE3. This is personal of course. I don't pretend to
> > speak for the Kubuntu users community.
>
> +1 here, I want to get out of thunderbird... but kdepim is not working
> properly... yet.

I'd just like to put in a good word for the latest kdepim - I had given up on
it for a while as well, but the 4.7.3 version has *really* come together.
Interestingly it seems to work better with IMAP or dIMAP accounts that local
ones. Currently I'm using it with my GMail account and it is coping *very*
well and looks fabulous. Its nice to use something so well integrated with KDE
use and look.

There is a problem with the "Mail Dispatcher" agent disabling itself but that
can be restarted using the akonadiconsole and apparently the problem is
resolved in 4.7.4

Still some issues involving CPU load and nepomuk but a fix for that is in 4.8,
I've been testing the 4.8 beta via project neon and it looks even better.

In short, definitely worth a revisit with 4.7.3 and with 4.8 it should finally
be suitable for general usage - think KDE 4.6

Caveats:
- Account migration seems somewhat dodgy still. I've been working from a fresh
start with IMAP accounts.

--
Lindsay

Old 12-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Daniel Manrique

On 11-12-01 07:39 AM, Alvin wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 November 2011 16:43:27 Daniel Manrique wrote:
>> Hello dear Kubuntuers!
>>
>> [...]
>> http://friendly.ubuntu.com/
>>
>> The website contains instructions on how to run the test client and submit
>> results; the test client is included in Ubuntu by default.
>>
>> Our efforts have mainly been focused on Ubuntu, so while we have done some
>> work to enable Kubuntu users to run the tests (install checkbox-gtk and
>> gstreamer0.10-gconf), we are not too sure on how real Kubuntu users
>> perceive the whole Ubuntu Friendly experience: from client installation to
>> running the test suite, to submitting results and querying the webpage.
>>
>> Thus we'd like to request your valuable help in ensuring that Ubuntu
>> Friendly is equally comfortable for Kubuntu users.
>> [...]
>
> I'm happy that Canonical asks Kubuntu users to join this initiative. You
> should do things like this more often.

Thanks! Ubuntu Friendly has a driving group called "Ubuntu Friendly Squad" -
everyone is welcome to join, and we'd love to have someone with the Kubuntu
perspective in the group.

> In this case, we'll need a bit more instructions.
> - From the site: "It is in Ubuntu by default. Just search by Ubuntu Friendly
> or System Testing in the Dash".

We can add a section detailing instructions for Kubuntu, with at least a link at
the very top so it doesn't confuse people who may try to follow the first set of
instructions without realizing there's a specific one for Kubuntu.

> In Kubuntu, it's not installed by default. Let's use the command line to
> find it:
> ~$ aptitude search friendly
> i friendly-recovery - Make recovery more user-friendly
> That's probably not the right package.
>
> So, my humble suggestion would be: put the name of the needed package on that
> site.

As mentioned by Josť Camargo on this thread, the package is checkbox-gtk.
However you're right that Ubuntu Friendly is not mentioned anywhere on the
package data, so it will not be easy to find with a package manager. We could do
this, and also we can add instructions on how to install the needed packages
(checkbox-gtk and gstreamer0.10-gconf currently) on Kubuntu.

Also, the gstreamer dependency can be handled on our side so all you'd need to
do is install checkbox-gtk to get all the needed packages.

What's the preferred package management frontend in Kubuntu? in my explorations
I found Muon but I'm unsure if this is what people actually use.

Thanks so much for your thoughts on this. It already makes for a good start in
making sure that Ubuntu Friendly is easy to install and use for Kubuntu users
and gives us some work items to move towards this goal.

I'll keep an eye out in case you (or anyone else here) have questions about
Ubuntu Friendly.

Regards,
- Daniel

Old 12-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Lindsay Mathieson
<lindsay.mathieson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 11:13:00 AM Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
>> > I'd choose the stable kdepim *We haven't had a proper default mail
>> > client
>> > since the days of KDE3. This is personal of course. I don't pretend to
>> > speak for the Kubuntu users community.
>>
>> +1 here, I want to get out of thunderbird... but kdepim is not working
>> properly... yet.
>

> I'd just like to put in a good word for the latest kdepim - I had given up on
> it for a while as well, but the 4.7.3 version has *really* come together.
> Interestingly it seems to work better with IMAP or dIMAP accounts that local
> ones. Currently I'm using it with my GMail account and it is coping *very*
> well and looks fabulous. Its nice to use something so well integrated with KDE
> use and look.

Yep, I'm using 4.7.3... still, it has this awful issue:

I have INBOX folder with subfolders: Sent, Trash, ....

If I try to configure them all (default), all folders has mails,
except INBOX.... if I change server-side subscriptions, and disable
all folders but INBOX (root for others), then it shows messages...

> There is a problem with the *"Mail Dispatcher" agent disabling itself but that
> can be restarted using the akonadiconsole and apparently the problem is
> resolved in 4.7.4
>
> Still some issues involving CPU load and nepomuk but a fix for that is in 4.8,
> I've been testing the 4.8 beta via project neon and it looks even better.

Yeah, CPU usage too, nepomuk... and not related to kdepim, Strigi
still wants to re-index everything everytime I login.... I decided to
just disable it.... as a matter of fact, I don't yet know how to use
the indexes it creates, so.. it is not like I'm losing something vital
there.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Mark Greenwood

What's the preferred package management frontend in Kubuntu?*
sudo apt-get install * *
We used to have a nice one called KPackagekit but for some reason it was replaced with Muon, which is the default now.
Mark--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 12-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Daniel Manrique

On 11-12-01 08:56 AM, Alvin wrote:
> On Thursday 01 December 2011 08:41:50 Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
>> [. ..]
>> The package is checkbox-gtk , and the program's name (to find using
>> Kickoff) would be "System Testing"... but yes, you are right: the
>> instructions on the site are clearly aimed at Unity users.
>
> Well, I got it to run, but it's about as stable as the current kdepim.

I'm not sure if this is good or bad

> During the first audio test, I didn't hear any audio and something crashed.
> Apport was able to file https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/898641
> After that, the test suite crashed itself. Apport was unable to report that
> problem: "Cannot connect to crash database".

I looked at and triaged your bug report (thanks!). This is caused by a missing
dependency, something we can fix on our end. Once you install that dependency
tests should run correctly.

> Actually I don't worry too much about hardware compatibility. It deals mostly
> with the kernel and compatibility will very similar to Ubuntu. If I were to

Yes, kernel-level hardware support should pretty much be the same, and you're
right that we don't focus on applications themselves, so test results should be
pretty much interchangeable. Still, we'd like to ensure that if a Kubuntu user
wants to run the tests and contribute with Ubuntu Friendly (something we very
much appreciate), (s)he is able to do so with minimum hassle.

Thanks and regards,

- Daniel