Old 11-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Billie Walsh

Default I wonder if there is a solution...

On 11/29/2011 03:20 PM, panos zafiriou wrote:

I have an old Toshiba Satellite (2007) that had 2 memory cards that
added up to 1gb. It runs kubuntu dual boot (grub) with XP but I almost
never use XP.

I recently decided to upgrade its ram with 2x2Gb so-dimm to breath some
life into it. After switching the cards I tried to turn it back on but
although the power light came on and sounded like the CDR came on
nothing else happened after that.

Does anyone have any clues that it might be due to kubuntu and that I
happened killed the poor laptop? Is there a chance to get it running
with a live CD? Any suggestions as to what I should do next?

thanks in advance
bad_robot

Off the top of my head I would say the memory isn't compatible or not
properly seated. That is if it doesn't get through post. First try to
remove one memory and see if that helps. It may be that it can't handle
more than 2 gigs.

Alternatively, try putting the old memory back in and I bet it boots up.

--
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain
the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the

- Patrick Henry -

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 11-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Nils Kassube

panos zafiriou wrote:
> I have an old Toshiba Satellite (2007) that had 2 memory cards that
> added up to 1gb. It runs kubuntu dual boot (grub) with XP but I
> almost never use XP.
>
> I recently decided to upgrade its ram with 2x2Gb so-dimm to breath
> some life into it. After switching the cards I tried to turn it back
> on but although the power light came on and sounded like the CDR
> came on nothing else happened after that.

I would assume that one of the new RAM modules is faulty, maybe both.
You could replace them with the old modules to check if the machine
could still run. Then replace one module at a time with the new ones.

> Does anyone have any clues that it might be due to kubuntu and that I
> happened killed the poor laptop?

No, Kubuntu would not kill a machine because of more RAM - it would be
quite happy instead.

> Is there a chance to get it running
> with a live CD?

I don't think so. From your description it looks to me more like nothing
is really working. Did you see the start screen with the BIOS messages?

Nils

Old 11-30-2011, 03:17 PM
panos zafiriou

I had checked the compatibility of the cards through the Kingston memory site before buying. Also I replaced the old cards and the same thing happens. When I press the power button the machine starts, I can hear the CDR head move like every time it powers up and the fan starts working and stays on. The light on the power button stays on but nothings comes on the screen, not the bios nothing...

Old 11-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Tom Bell

On 11/30/2011 11:17 AM, panos zafiriou wrote:

> I had checked the compatibility of the cards through the Kingston memory
> site before buying. Also I replaced the old cards and the same thing
> happens. When I press the power button the machine starts, I can hear
> the CDR head move like every time it powers up and the fan starts
> working and stays on. The light on the power button stays on but
> nothings comes on the screen, not the bios nothing...
>

> On 29 November 2011 23:45, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net
> <mailto:kassube@gmx.net>> wrote:
>
> panos zafiriou wrote:
> > I have an old Toshiba Satellite (2007) that had 2 memory cards that
> > added up to 1gb. It runs kubuntu dual boot (grub) with XP but I
> > almost never use XP.
> >
> > I recently decided to upgrade its ram with 2x2Gb so-dimm to breath
> > some life into it. After switching the cards I tried to turn it back
> > on but although the power light came on and sounded like the CDR
> > came on nothing else happened after that.
>
> I would assume that one of the new RAM modules is faulty, maybe both.
> You could replace them with the old modules to check if the machine
> could still run. Then replace one module at a time with the new ones.
>
> > Does anyone have any clues that it might be due to kubuntu and that I
> > happened killed the poor laptop?
>
> No, Kubuntu would not kill a machine because of more RAM - it would be
> quite happy instead.
>
> > Is there a chance to get it running
> > with a live CD?
>
> I don't think so. From your description it looks to me more like nothing
> is really working. Did you see the start screen with the BIOS messages?
>

> Nils

As Nils stated, one of the memory cards may be defective. I had that
trouble once before.
I replaced the memory card and all worked fine.
Good luck!

Tom

Old 11-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Nils Kassube

panos zafiriou wrote:
> I had checked the compatibility of the cards through the Kingston
> memory site before buying. Also I replaced the old cards and the
> same thing happens. When I press the power button the machine
> starts, I can hear the CDR head move like every time it powers up
> and the fan starts working and stays on. The light on the power
> button stays on but nothings comes on the screen, not the bios
> nothing...

If the system doesn't even run with the old RAM, it looks quite bad
IMHO. I would have a look in the manual of the machine. Maybe there are
troubleshooting instructions included for this situation. Other than
that you could disconnect the machine from the power supply, take out
the battery and leave it disconnected overnight. Perhaps it will then
run again (of course after you connected the power).

Nils