Old 11-29-2011, 12:07 AM
Billie Walsh

Default Dual monitors in 11.04

I've been futzing around most of the day trying to get dual monitors set
up with an Nvidia GeForce 8800 video card. One monitor on the DVI output
and the other on the VGA out. Downloaded the latest and greatest drivers
and installed them. Now shows both monitors in the Nvidia X server
settings. Both monitors now show the same screen, I just can't seem to
get them to work as separate screens. Have the setting in the X server
settings set to "Separate X Screen" [ should it be "Twin View" ]. Have
the screen I want as secondary to the right in the settings.

According to Nvidia web site it should be able to do. The card is
supposed to support it. Didn't see anything about it in the driver stuff
so ................

Most everything I found with Google and on the Ubuntu site dealt with
older versions [ like 9.0x or something ].

What am I missing? Any suggestions?

Any help greatly appreciated.

--
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain
the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the

- Patrick Henry -

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 11-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Alvin

On Monday 28 November 2011 19:07:35 Billie Walsh wrote:
> I've been futzing around most of the day trying to get dual monitors set
> up with an Nvidia GeForce 8800 video card. One monitor on the DVI output
> and the other on the VGA out. Downloaded the latest and greatest drivers
> and installed them. Now shows both monitors in the Nvidia X server
> settings. Both monitors now show the same screen, I just can't seem to
> get them to work as separate screens. Have the setting in the X server
> settings set to "Separate X Screen" [ should it be "Twin View" ]. Have
> the screen I want as secondary to the right in the settings.
>
> According to Nvidia web site it should be able to do. The card is
> supposed to support it. Didn't see anything about it in the driver stuff
> so ................
>
> Most everything I found with Google and on the Ubuntu site dealt with
> older versions [ like 9.0x or something ].
>
> What am I missing? Any suggestions?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.

Did you install the drivers using jockey or using an unsupported method?

Twinview utilizes xorg.conf, so put something like this in it:
Change your values for "Device" and "Monitor" according to your hardware. Not
all values are needed. You can experiment with removing things like HorizSync
and VertRefresh. Check your BusID with lspci.

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce GT 216"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Eizo"
ModelName "ColorEdge CG210"
HorizSync 24.0 - 100.0
VertRefresh 49.0 - 86.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor1"
VendorName "Eizo"
ModelName "ColorEdge CG210"
HorizSync 24.0 - 100.0
VertRefresh 49.0 - 86.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
Option "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-1: nvidia-
auto-select +1600+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection