FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Georgi Kourtev
 
Default Network manager and Mobile connections

On Monday 28 November 2011 11:24:06 O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 28/11/11 11:11, Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Since upgrade to the latest version of Kubuntu 11.10, the network
> > manager
> > cannot connect through a mobile GSM/UMTS. When I open the Network
> > manager
> > properties the Mobile connection tab is not active. All worked fine
> > before the upgrade. I am using mobile modem Alcatel model X060S.
> > Thanks.
>
> check if usb-modeswitch package is installed, at least for me that is
> needed for some modems

Yes, it is installed.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-28-2011, 08:43 AM
"O. Sinclair"
 
Default Network manager and Mobile connections

On 28/11/11 11:35, Georgi Kourtev wrote:

On Monday 28 November 2011 11:24:06 O. Sinclair wrote:

On 28/11/11 11:11, Georgi Kourtev wrote:

Hi all,

Since upgrade to the latest version of Kubuntu 11.10, the network
manager
cannot connect through a mobile GSM/UMTS. When I open the Network
manager
properties the Mobile connection tab is not active. All worked fine
before the upgrade. I am using mobile modem Alcatel model X060S.
Thanks.


check if usb-modeswitch package is installed, at least for me that is
needed for some modems


Yes, it is installed.

You could try removing it, some modems seem to work better when it is
not installed. Have you tried using wvdial to connect instead of
networkmanager?


I would try wvdial first, install it if is not installed and then run
"sudo wvdial" with the modem plugged in


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Georgi Kourtev
 
Default Network manager and Mobile connections

> >
> > Yes, it is installed.
>
> You could try removing it, some modems seem to work better when it is
> not installed. Have you tried using wvdial to connect instead of
> networkmanager?
>
> I would try wvdial first, install it if is not installed and then run
> "sudo wvdial" with the modem plugged in

Without removing it with I got this with wvdial (see below). However the
laptop doesn't use apparently this connection as I cannot brows internet for
example. I recall that before I was using wvdial without sudo.

ATDT*99#
CONNECT
--> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Mon Nov 28 12:33:23 2011
--> Pid of pppd: 8912
--> Using interface ppp0
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> local IP address 10.160.13.145
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> remote IP address 10.64.64.64
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> primary DNS address 212.39.90.42
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> secondary DNS address 212.39.90.43
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
^CCaught signal 2: Attempting to exit gracefully...
--> Terminating on signal 15
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> Connect time 3.3 minutes.
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-28-2011, 10:16 AM
"O. Sinclair"
 
Default Network manager and Mobile connections

On 28/11/11 12:41, Georgi Kourtev wrote:




Yes, it is installed.


You could try removing it, some modems seem to work better when it is
not installed. Have you tried using wvdial to connect instead of
networkmanager?

I would try wvdial first, install it if is not installed and then run
"sudo wvdial" with the modem plugged in


Without removing it with I got this with wvdial (see below). However the
laptop doesn't use apparently this connection as I cannot brows internet for
example. I recall that before I was using wvdial without sudo.

ATDT*99#
CONNECT
--> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Mon Nov 28 12:33:23 2011
--> Pid of pppd: 8912
--> Using interface ppp0
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> local IP address 10.160.13.145
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> remote IP address 10.64.64.64
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> primary DNS address 212.39.90.42
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> secondary DNS address 212.39.90.43
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
^CCaught signal 2: Attempting to exit gracefully...
--> Terminating on signal 15
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> Connect time 3.3 minutes.
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W
--> pppd: 0�W ��W `�W



Well at least that should work - then it is networkmanager that does not
"see" the modem. I browse like this sometimes as Networkmanager still
can be a bit flaky for USB GSM/CDMA modems


I was told "once upon a time" to use sudo wvdial as wvdial needs access
to whatever in the system that a non-admin does not have. Right or wrong
I have no idea.


This is my wvdial.conf (it is for CDMA modem in this case so number
differs):

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Baud = 480600
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
ISDN = 0
Phone = #777
Password = something..
Username = 111

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Georgi Kourtev
 
Default Network manager and Mobile connections

> I was told "once upon a time" to use sudo wvdial as wvdial needs access
> to whatever in the system that a non-admin does not have. Right or wrong
> I have no idea.
>
> This is my wvdial.conf (it is for CDMA modem in this case so number
> differs):
> [Dialer Defaults]
> Init1 = ATZ
> Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> Modem Type = Analog Modem
> Baud = 480600
> New PPPD = yes
> Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
> ISDN = 0
> Phone = #777
> Password = something..
> Username = 111

Without changing anything I decided to check whether the modem will work with
KPPP dialer. And --boom -- it worked. The wvdial.conf is the same as before
the upgrade. I checked now with 4.7.4 -- don't see the modem with
networkmanager, nor can connect with wvdial (with or without sudo).

Frankly speaking I was more comfortable when I could have use the
networkmanager for connecting -- it's like one-stop-shop for connection
without having to think what connection I would like to use... I'll be happy
if someone can show ways of making this work again.
gk

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:43 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org