Old 11-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Bruce Marshall

Default About had it

For the last several years, I've been running XFCE as a lightweight desktop
because I didn't want to go through all of the glitz and development pains of
KDE 4.xx

Then came 11.10 and kmail2.

I bit the bullet and switched (with great effort) to kmail2 and started to
live with KDE.

Although kmail2 has been a great disaster, and I see more and more use of
AKONADI (which I think sucks), I don't see much hope for kubuntu, as least as
far as I am concerned.

As an example, I have a "lab-rat" machine here that I use to test out new
releases. I recently noticed that I have been missing emails that I know
came into my email server and then got lost. I tracked it down to my lab-rat
sucking up emails from time to time. But how can that be??? kmail2 wasn't
running on the lab-rat so how can it be doing anything with emails?

Well, NOW akonadi does email fetching, even without kmail running. And this
machine that was just sitting there was sucking up emails from time to time.

I think KDE is heading down a rat-hole... and I may well head back to XFCE
and use T-bird or find someother email program. Kmail doesn't work well
anymore and doesn't work with address books or recent addresses anymore.
(yes, I know this can probably be fixed by fussing with 'akonadi' but I look
at akonadi as being a big black pile of poop and the more it gets involved
with EVERYTHING KDE I think the worse things are going to get.

It's a sad day in *ubunto town.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Basil Chupin

[...]

Hi Bruce,

Kmail has some bad problems and even those who are 'developing' it say
so and suggest that one uses, temporarily or otherwise, say, Thunderbird.

There is nothing wrong with KDE (I am using KDE 4.7.3) - it's fine, but
I don't use kmail (I use TB) and don't use Akonadi's features.

BC

--
Diapers and politicians should be changed often; both for the same reason.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Mark Greenwood

I think it's yet another case of new stuff being released well before it's ready for use. But then this is how Linux works - we're not only the users, we're the beta testers too. If you need a system that's stable and reliable, wait for a new release and then install the *previous* release with all its updates - that way you get something that has been tested and fixed. Or just use Debian stable. It does mean you don't get all the 'cutting edge' features - but those are the ones that usually cause all the trouble.

Amongst my peers we have a saying that the phrase 'cutting edge' or 'latest release' is just marketing-speak for 'it isn't finished and it doesn't work'

Mark

Old 11-27-2011, 06:39 AM
"O. Sinclair"

[...]

Supposedly this behaviour can be switched off from the "accounts"
settings in KMail2. Click on "retrieval options" and tick "offline when
KMail shuts down". I am not 100 the setting sticks though, still trying
it out.

Sinclair

Old 11-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Nicolas Kovacs

+1 for that.

My father - now retired - has been a manager for a worldwide
Telecommunications Company. He told me that sometimes they had to
practice what was called "banana marketing": the product finishes the
riping process on the client side )

Me, I've settled for Ubuntu LTS on desktops (a few months after release
D) and Debian on servers.

Cheers,

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat