Old 11-24-2011, 11:02 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default 11.10 virtuoso-t problem

Right,

some time after a boot/login and ALWAYS when I start using
Kontact/KDEPIM 4.7 the "virtuoso-t" process start eating CPU. It hovers
between 40% and 50% basically, my CPU temp shoots up and fans start
working like mad.

This is strigi/nepomuk related as it does not happen if I switch off
desktop search and semantic desktop.

anyone else seeing this, anyone knows how to cure it?

kindly,
Sinclair

Old 11-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Mark Greenwood

On 24 Nov 2011, at 12:02, O. Sinclair wrote:

> Right,
>
> some time after a boot/login and ALWAYS when I start using Kontact/KDEPIM 4.7 the "virtuoso-t" process start eating CPU. It hovers between 40% and 50% basically, my CPU temp shoots up and fans start working like mad.
>
> This is strigi/nepomuk related as it does not happen if I switch off desktop search and semantic desktop.

Have you tried just leaving it for quite some time to see if it stops? If you have lots of emails it might just be doing an initial scan or indexing or something. Heaven only knows what… virtuoso-t is the database backend I think.

> anyone else seeing this, anyone knows how to cure it?

Not seeing it with KMail, but I was seeing it in various other situations (like when I plug in a removable hard drive, which it's supposed to ignore but doesn't).

There is a setting somewhere to increase the memory available to it. This helped a little, but not very much. Akonadi is what drove me away from KDE in the end. It's a great concept but doesn't appear to have been properly thought through.

My way to cure it? I bought a Mac. Never looked back. Still use KDE for some things, but I won't go back to it for day-to-day use.

Mark

Old 11-24-2011, 12:10 PM
"O. Sinclair"

[...]

I have left in on over night... and it is now on day 3 or so of useage
since upgrade.

I have put up memory for nepomuk/strigi to no avail whatsoever.

And your solution is not on my agenda :-)

Sinclair

Old 11-24-2011, 03:56 PM

I removed the virtoso and nepomuk stuff since it was doing that to me as well.
I don't want or need the service it offers and by slowing my system down it
just annoyed me, otherwise I would not have bothered with the hassle of
removing it.

Now I get some errors when I start up or resume about nepomuk indexing, but I
can ignore the them. My systems runs just fine without it.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:24 PM
"O. Sinclair"

[...]

Unfortunately disabling Nepomuk means Address Book in Kontacts basically
stops working. What I mean is that if I compose a new mail I can see
"recent addresses" unless Nepomuk is active.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:24 PM

On Thursday, November 24, 2011 09:24:17 PM O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 24/11/11 18:56, theuteck@gmail.com wrote:
> > I removed the virtoso and nepomuk stuff since it was doing that to me as
> > well. I don't want or need the service it offers and by slowing my
> > system down it just annoyed me, otherwise I would not have bothered
> > with the hassle of removing it.
> >
> > Now I get some errors when I start up or resume about nepomuk indexing,
> > but I can ignore the them. My systems runs just fine without it.

> >> I have left in on over night... and it is now on day 3 or so of useage
> >> since upgrade.
> >>
> >> I have put up memory for nepomuk/strigi to no avail whatsoever.
> >>
> >> And your solution is not on my agenda :-)
>
> Unfortunately disabling Nepomuk means Address Book in Kontacts basically
> stops working. What I mean is that if I compose a new mail I can see
> "recent addresses" unless Nepomuk is active.

Odd, it works fine for me, unless I did not disable it properly. It is still
syncing with my gmail addressbook fine, unless that is why it is working for
me. I still have akondi working since that controls the google access.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:47 PM
"O. Sinclair"

[...]

I got it back in the weirdest way I can/could imagine. I added an empty
Address Book in Contacts and suddenly it started working (autocompletion
from my vcard akonadi resource). I then removed it, rebooted etc and it
still works...

Now that is what I call odd behaviour...

Sinclair