-   -   No love lost between KMail/Akonadi and fetchmail/postfix/mbox... (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/601878-no-love-lost-between-kmail-akonadi-fetchmail-postfix-mbox.html)

Anj Tuesday 11-23-2011 06:43 PM

No love lost between KMail/Akonadi and fetchmail/postfix/mbox...

I use fetchmail and postfix to regularly retrieve mail from a number of
POP accounts; it ends up in /var/mail/anj. I also have an Akonadi mbox
resource pointed at that file so I can easily get at all my mail with
any random email client I might want to try.

This works fine with Thunderbird or Evolution as well as console mailers
like Alpine... and it has worked fine in the past with pre-Akonadi
KMail.

But now Akonadi pops up four notifications every time I receive mail
to complain that file:///var/mail/anj has been changed by another
program and that a backup has been created. Isn't it *supposed* to be
changed by another program? How else would it receive email?

I can turn off file monitoring for the Akonadi mbox resource, but then
KMail never finds any new email any more!

I tried the procmail and mutt lockfile options but they don't help
with that (clearly I'm also in way over my head here!).

If anyone has any ideas (except "stop trying to be all UNIXy with
fetchmail and postfix")... I'd love to hear them.

Be well,
Anja

gene heskett 11-23-2011 06:51 PM

No love lost between KMail/Akonadi and fetchmail/postfix/mbox...

On Wednesday, November 23, 2011 02:47:55 PM Anj Tuesday did opine:

> I use fetchmail and postfix to regularly retrieve mail from a number of
> POP accounts; it ends up in /var/mail/anj. I also have an Akonadi mbox
> resource pointed at that file so I can easily get at all my mail with
> any random email client I might want to try.
>
> This works fine with Thunderbird or Evolution as well as console mailers
> like Alpine... and it has worked fine in the past with pre-Akonadi
> KMail.
>
> But now Akonadi pops up four notifications every time I receive mail
> to complain that file:///var/mail/anj has been changed by another
> program and that a backup has been created. Isn't it *supposed* to be
> changed by another program? How else would it receive email?
>
> I can turn off file monitoring for the Akonadi mbox resource, but then
> KMail never finds any new email any more!
>
> I tried the procmail and mutt lockfile options but they don't help
> with that (clearly I'm also in way over my head here!).
>
> If anyone has any ideas (except "stop trying to be all UNIXy with
> fetchmail and postfix")... I'd love to hear them.
>
> Be well,
> Anja

Let me put it this way. I have been doing almost exactly that for many
years, and it will remain so or I'll be asking how to import my 10 year old
kmail database into claws. All this recent emphasis on useless, often
unstable eye candy instead of real usability is discouraging.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Whoever would lie usefully should lie seldom.

Anj Tuesday 11-24-2011 10:01 AM

No love lost between KMail/Akonadi and fetchmail/postfix/mbox...

Let me put it this way. I have been doing almost exactly that for many
years, and it will remain so or I'll be asking how to import my 10 year old
kmail database into claws. All this recent emphasis on useless, often
unstable eye candy instead of real usability is discouraging.

Cheers, Gene

I was so annoyed at KDE yesterday I considered escaping to Mint 12
(once its installer stops crashing on me). But then I chmod -x'ed the
Akonadi executables and remembered how much I like the rest. I'd
miss Dolphin, Kate, Gwenview, Quassel, Kopete and K3b, at any rate...
and my current selection of eye candy. :)

Anja

Anj Tuesday 11-24-2011 10:37 AM

No love lost between KMail/Akonadi and fetchmail/postfix/mbox...

PS -- Whoops, Kopete needs Akonadi, too. Hello, Telepathy?

R Kimber 11-24-2011 01:42 PM

No love lost between KMail/Akonadi and fetchmail/postfix/mbox...

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 12:01:55 +0100
Anj Tuesday wrote:

> Akonadi executables and remembered how much I like the rest. I'd
> miss Dolphin, Kate, Gwenview, Quassel, Kopete and K3b, at any rate...

I'm not sure I understand. You can use at least some of these without
having KDE as such. I have Xubuntu (with xfce) and happily run K3b (I
wouldn't be without it) and Kaddressbook and other individual KDE stuff. I
think I have the best of both worlds.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Anj Tuesday 11-24-2011 03:14 PM

No love lost between KMail/Akonadi and fetchmail/postfix/mbox...

Akonadi executables and remembered how much I like the rest. I'd
miss Dolphin, Kate, Gwenview, Quassel, Kopete and K3b, at any rate...

I'm not sure I understand. You can use at least some of these without
having KDE as such. I have Xubuntu (with xfce) and happily run K3b (I
wouldn't be without it) and Kaddressbook and other individual KDE stuff. I
think I have the best of both worlds.

- Richard.

True, but I *like* my KDE desktop and the apps "fitting in". I just
don't like Akonadi (or it being broken)...