Old 10-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Nigel Ridley

Default Oneiric and ugly fonts in non-native KDE apps

Hi, my name is Nigel and I have ugly fonts.

I use gftp and have also installed google earth. Both apps have ugly (non-anti-aliased?) fonts.
To get google earth's fonts readable (they were very wide spaced and difficult to read) I had to
install (from tips from a google search) Microsoft ttfonts and reboot (I tried to just logout but
something crashed) and now google earth is usable but like gftp it has ugly fonts.

Is there a fix?

Nigel

Old 10-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Friday, October 21, 2011 05:23:05 PM Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Hi, my name is Nigel and I have ugly fonts.
>
> I use gftp and have also installed google earth. Both apps have ugly
> (non-anti-aliased?) fonts. To get google earth's fonts readable (they were
> very wide spaced and difficult to read) I had to install (from tips from a
> google search) Microsoft ttfonts and reboot (I tried to just logout but
> something crashed) and now google earth is usable but like gftp it has ugly
> fonts.
>
> Is there a fix?
>
> Nigel

I just loaded google-earth and it looks fine.

Look at your 'theme' in applications appearance and see which theme you are
using. Then check to see you have what is needed.

For example, I am using the 'oxygen' theme and I have loaded the gtk2-
engines-oxygen piece as well as oxygen-cursor-theme and oxygen-icon-theme.

There are pieces for libreoffice as well.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Nigel Ridley

[...]

Yes, I have those too. I did however mess around with the Use KDE Fonts and changed it to
something else. I have now gone back to the default and gftp looks fine but Google Earth still
looks as if the fonts are not anti-aliased.

Nigel