FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Valter Mura
 
Default Considerations for Kubuntu 11.10 and Kmail2

In data gioved� 13 ottobre 2011 10:31:32, Scott Kitterman ha scritto:


> I consider Kmail2/Akonadi to be a disaster in 4.7. I know it is working for
> some people, but there are a LOT of people having a lot of problems.
> Personally, I had sort of assumed that since this is the second major
> release for Kmail2, it would be generally usable.

I consider Kmail2/Akonadi an "half" disaster.

My considerations follow:

- I finally update my system to 11.10
- When I started Kmail, the Migrator started but failed. So I follow the
procedure explained in the Kubuntu site and kmail started the migration.
- I had to insert all account password again and to reload/refresh all the
mail folders contained in my system. The process took almost one day, trapping
my poor processor into a 100% busy state, for which I feared after that it
would be surely dead.
- I lost all my (few) filters and I'm trying to rebuild them.
- My spam is not automatically transferred to my spam folder, I restart the
spam configuration wizard.
- Kmail2 seems, in its wholeness, slower and heavier than before.
- I haven't lost any mail.


My opinion is that this kind of upgrade is not suitable for production
machines, nor for newbies, whom can be discouraged to use the KDE environment.

As I have an old machine, I installed the kuuntu-low-fat-settings, but I
haven't understood well: do the settings apply automatically, or do I have to
search for them manually?

Ciao
--
Valter
Registered Linux User #466410 http://counter.li.org
*Open Source is better!*
KDE: www.kde.org
Kubuntu Linux: www.kubuntu.org
LibreOffice: www.libreoffice.org


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 10-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Clay Weber
 
Default Considerations for Kubuntu 11.10 and Kmail2

On Saturday, October 15, 2011 11:57:20 PM Valter Mura wrote:
> In data gioved� 13 ottobre 2011 10:31:32, Scott Kitterman ha scritto:
> > I consider Kmail2/Akonadi to be a disaster in 4.7. I know it is working
> > for some people, but there are a LOT of people having a lot of
> > problems. Personally, I had sort of assumed that since this is the
> > second major release for Kmail2, it would be generally usable.
>
Many assumed as much

> I consider Kmail2/Akonadi an "half" disaster.
>
> My considerations follow:
>
> - I finally update my system to 11.10
> - When I started Kmail, the Migrator started but failed. So I follow the
> procedure explained in the Kubuntu site and kmail started the migration.
> - I had to insert all account password again and to reload/refresh all the
> mail folders contained in my system. The process took almost one day,
> trapping my poor processor into a 100% busy state, for which I feared after
> that it would be surely dead.
> - I lost all my (few) filters and I'm trying to rebuild them.

The migrator doesn't tranfser filters at all, iirc.
> - My spam is not automatically transferred to my spam folder, I restart the
> spam configuration wizard.
Known bug, https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=276635
> - Kmail2 seems, in its wholeness, slower and heavier than before.
> - I haven't lost any mail.
>
>
> My opinion is that this kind of upgrade is not suitable for production
> machines, nor for newbies, whom can be discouraged to use the KDE
> environment.
>
They may wish to hold off perhaps until 12.04 (lts)

> As I have an old machine, I installed the kuuntu-low-fat-settings, but I
> haven't understood well: do the settings apply automatically, or do I have
> to search for them manually?
>
You will see the visual results and the reduced ram usage next time you reboot
It isn't so pretty (to me) but I can still use 11.10 on my meager ancient
laptop

Clay

> Ciao

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:21 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org