Old 10-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Paul Stear

Default 2 Problems after upgrade to 11.10

Hi all,
I have carried out a new install of 11.10 and have a few problems:-
1. Every program starts to the task bar and is not displayed on the desktop.
If I right click on the task bar entry, select advanced and then click keep
above others, the program is displayed on the desktop. --- weird eh!
2. The set-up didn't detect my second screen so only one screen is working.
When I check system settings it thinks I only have one screen. What do I need
to do to to set up 2 screens?

Thanks for any help
Paul

Old 10-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Paul Kaplan

First question: Is there a residual ~/.kde folder left over from a previous install? *I keep /home on a separate partition so that when I do a "new install" I can just wipe / but leave /home. *I have sometimes run into problems with kde config using an old ~/.kde with a new kde
For the screen thing, you have two possibilities. *In System Settings, select Display and Monitor. *It should be apparent how to make the config you want.
You can also use the command line with xrandr. *If you have old hardware, you may need to create a custom xorg.conf file as well.
There's also several mulit-head help pages:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolutionhttps://help.ubuntu.com/community/XineramaHowTo

Good luckPaul

Old 10-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Paul Stear

On Saturday 15 Oct 2011 15:39:55 Paul Kaplan wrote:
> First question: Is there a residual ~/.kde folder left over from a previous
> install? I keep /home on a separate partition so that when I do a "new
> install" I can just wipe / but leave /home. I have sometimes run into
> problems with kde config using an old ~/.kde with a new kde

You were right, I deleted the new one, logged out/in and all is well.

> You can also use the command line with xrandr. If you have old hardware, you
> may need to create a custom xorg.conf file as well.

I set up an xorg.conf file and I now have 2 screens working.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
Paul