-   -   upgrade to 11.04 fails cause it wants to remove update-manager-kde (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/580273-upgrade-11-04-fails-cause-wants-remove-update-manager-kde.html)

Michael Hirsch 09-26-2011 04:27 PM

upgrade to 11.04 fails cause it wants to remove update-manager-kde

Since 11.10 is about to be released, I thought I should upgrade to 11.04, but I can't.* I have a pretty much stock install of Kubuntu 10.10.* I may have upgraded KDE using the ppa packages.

When I try to upgrade it says that it can't because it needs to remove update-manager-kde, but it isn't allowed to.

Earlier it said that it wanted to remove kubuntu-desktop.* I worked around this by making sure that xubuntu-desktop and gnome-desktop were not installed.*

So I uninstalled update-manager, in case that was causing problems but still have that problem.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,

Michael

Myriam Schweingruber 09-27-2011 07:51 AM

upgrade to 11.04 fails cause it wants to remove update-manager-kde

Hi Michael,

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 18:27, Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since 11.10 is about to be released, I thought I should upgrade to 11.04,
> but I can't.* I have a pretty much stock install of Kubuntu 10.10.* I may
> have upgraded KDE using the ppa packages.
>
> When I try to upgrade it says that it can't because it needs to remove
> update-manager-kde, but it isn't allowed to.
>
> Earlier it said that it wanted to remove kubuntu-desktop.* I worked around
> this by making sure that xubuntu-desktop and gnome-desktop were not
> installed.
>
> So I uninstalled update-manager, in case that was causing problems but still
> have that problem.
>
> Anyone know how to fix this?

Did you run it from the command line with sudo apt-get dist-upgrade? I
assume you checked your /etc/apt/sources.list for wrong entries
already.

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org

Mark Fraser 09-27-2011 09:05 AM

On Monday 26 Sep 2011 17:27:08 Michael Hirsch wrote:

> Since 11.10 is about to be released, I thought I should upgrade to 11.04,

> but I can't. I have a pretty much stock install of Kubuntu 10.10. I may

> have upgraded KDE using the ppa packages.

> When I try to upgrade it says that it can't because it needs to remove

> update-manager-kde, but it isn't allowed to.

> Earlier it said that it wanted to remove kubuntu-desktop. I worked around

> this by making sure that xubuntu-desktop and gnome-desktop were not

> installed.

> So I uninstalled update-manager, in case that was causing problems but

> still have that problem.

*

Have you got any PPAs enabled?

*

Mark Fraser 09-27-2011 09:12 AM

On Tuesday 27 Sep 2011 10:05:19 Mark Fraser wrote:

> On Monday 26 Sep 2011 17:27:08 Michael Hirsch wrote:

> > Since 11.10 is about to be released, I thought I should upgrade to 11.04,

> > but I can't. I have a pretty much stock install of Kubuntu 10.10. I may

> > have upgraded KDE using the ppa packages.

> > When I try to upgrade it says that it can't because it needs to remove

> > update-manager-kde, but it isn't allowed to.

> > Earlier it said that it wanted to remove kubuntu-desktop. I worked

> > around this by making sure that xubuntu-desktop and gnome-desktop were

> > not installed.

> > So I uninstalled update-manager, in case that was causing problems but

> > still have that problem.

> Have you got any PPAs enabled?

*

Sorry, I didn't see the top of your post. You may have to use ppa-purge to get rid of some of those Kubuntu PPAs before doing the upgrade.

*

Goh Lip 09-27-2011 10:35 AM

On 09/27/2011 05:12 PM, Mark Fraser wrote:

On Tuesday 27 Sep 2011 10:05:19 Mark Fraser wrote:

> On Monday 26 Sep 2011 17:27:08 Michael Hirsch wrote:

> > Since 11.10 is about to be released, I thought I should upgrade to
11.04,

> > but I can't. I have a pretty much stock install of Kubuntu 10.10. I may

> > have upgraded KDE using the ppa packages.

> > When I try to upgrade it says that it can't because it needs to remove

> > update-manager-kde, but it isn't allowed to.

> > Earlier it said that it wanted to remove kubuntu-desktop. I worked

> > around this by making sure that xubuntu-desktop and gnome-desktop were

> > not installed.

> > So I uninstalled update-manager, in case that was causing problems but

> > still have that problem.

> Have you got any PPAs enabled?

Sorry, I didn't see the top of your post. You may have to use ppa-purge
to get rid of some of those Kubuntu PPAs before doing the upgrade.

Strange, I thought distribution upgrades now get rid of ppa'a automatically.

Regards - Goh Lip
ps; Myriam, where have you been?
We kinda miss you. :)

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

Mark Fraser 09-27-2011 10:46 AM

On Tuesday 27 Sep 2011 11:35:38 Goh Lip wrote:

> On 09/27/2011 05:12 PM, Mark Fraser wrote:

> > 11.04,

> > > Have you got any PPAs enabled?

> > Sorry, I didn't see the top of your post. You may have to use ppa-purge

> > to get rid of some of those Kubuntu PPAs before doing the upgrade.

> Strange, I thought distribution upgrades now get rid of ppa'a

> automatically.

*

It does, but I've had problems with some PPAs that stopped the updater being able to find a successful update path. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/792348

*

Goh Lip 09-27-2011 10:54 AM

On 09/27/2011 06:46 PM, Mark Fraser wrote:

> Strange, I thought distribution upgrades now get rid of ppa'a

> automatically.

It does, but I've had problems with some PPAs that stopped the updater
being able to find a successful update path.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/792348

Okay, thanks for sharing.
Regards - Goh Lip

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

Pastor JW 09-27-2011 06:09 PM

On Monday, September 26, 2011 9:27:08 am Michael Hirsch wrote:
> Since 11.10 is about to be released, I thought I should upgrade to 11.04,
> but I can't. I have a pretty much stock install of Kubuntu 10.10. I may
> have upgraded KDE using the ppa packages.
>
> When I try to upgrade it says that it can't because it needs to remove
> update-manager-kde, but it isn't allowed to.
>
> Earlier it said that it wanted to remove kubuntu-desktop. I worked around
> this by making sure that xubuntu-desktop and gnome-desktop were not
> installed.
>
> So I uninstalled update-manager, in case that was causing problems but
> still have that problem.
>
> Anyone know how to fix this?

Did you uninstall update-manager or update-manager-kde? They are two different
packages.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403

Michael Hirsch 10-06-2011 06:12 PM

upgrade to 11.04 fails cause it wants to remove update-manager-kde

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.* I'm sorry I took so long to read the responses.

Yes, I had the backports PPA for getting the latest KDE.* I think it must have been this that kept me from upgrading.* I was never able to get a gui tool to work.

Ultimately, I used the commandline using do-release-upgrade.* This ended up removing all my KDE packages.* When I was done, my system would have been pretty unusable, but fortunately I was clever enough to install kubuntu-desktop before I rebooted.* That reinstalled almost everything and my desktop came up fine.

It looks like Mark's advice was good.* If I had known about ppa-purge it probably would have solved my problem.* I'm having the same trouble on my kids laptops--I'll try it there.

Thanks again for your help,

Michael