-   -   linux and cell phones (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/577049-linux-cell-phones.html)

Errol Sapir 09-18-2011 03:13 AM

linux and cell phones

I am about to go into the smartphone world. Is there a
recommended smart phone type to use with Linux. My unprofessional
take is that an Android phone would be more compatible. Am I
making sense??

Thanks for any input

Errol

Nigel Ridley 09-18-2011 04:38 AM

linux and cell phones

I am about to go into the smartphone world. Is there a recommended smart phone
type to use with Linux. My unprofessional take is that an Android phone would be
more compatible. Am I making sense??

Thanks for any input

Errol

My daughter has a Samsung Galaxy that has no problems connecting with Kubuntu.

Nigel

Clay Weber 09-18-2011 04:57 AM

linux and cell phones

On Sunday, September 18, 2011 06:13:44 AM Errol Sapir wrote:
> I am about to go into the smartphone world. Is there a recommended smart
> phone type to use with Linux. My unprofessional take is that an Android
> phone would be more compatible. Am I making sense?? Thanks for any input
> Errol

My wife has one (a Samsung Fascinate Android), and I will be getting one soon.

Android phones can be connected to a linux pc and seen as a usb drive.
She never actually connects it to her laptop except to transfer the
occaisional recorded video.

The point of smartphones, especially androids and google, is to not have to
connect to another device. They sync to the cloud, and your phone or desktop
syncs back from there.

Even an iphone has some support, but with every firmware change things get
re-broken in terms of connecting to a linux box.
UbuntuOne supports file syncing with iPhones, but that is not a decent deal for
KDE users.

Now I have almost zero hands-on experience with smartphones, as my wife does
not let me 'play' with her phone, and she's had it almost a year now :)

So really it boils down to what you like, for the most part.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Alex Gabriel 09-18-2011 03:46 PM

linux and cell phones

I have a BlackBerry Torch (9800) and have no problem whatsoever when
interacting with Kubuntu, and Linux in general. Immediately after
connecting the phone to any computer using the included micro USB
cable, I'm given three options:

1. USB Drive
2. Sync Media
3. Charge Only

So far I mainly use the first option, but the second option works as
well, though it connects the phone as an MTP drive. I've noted that
support for MTP seems to be a bit unreliable in Linux (insofar as
media players are concerned), but if you use Amarok and have the phone
connected as a USB drive, you can sync media without a problem.

Due to the fact that it connects as a USB drive, all regular functions
of Konqueror/Dolphin work the same as it would with a hard disk drive
or other device connected via USB.

I think the main thing you need to look for in a phone, insofar as
integration with Linux is concerned, is whether it allows connection
as a USB drive. If it has that, you can be certain it will work with
whichever distribution you choose to use.

Alex Gabriel
Dimensia Design Studio
alexgabriel@dimensiadesign.com

Errol Sapir 09-18-2011 11:04 PM

linux and cell phones

Thanks for the input Nigel, Clay and Alex. I am going with the
Motorolla Antrix. Seems a good choice for me.

Errol

Clay Weber 09-18-2011 11:21 PM

linux and cell phones

On Monday, September 19, 2011 02:04:25 AM Errol Sapir wrote:
> Thanks for the input Nigel, Clay and Alex. I am going with the Motorolla
> Antrix. Seems a good choice for me. Errol

Nice! I am leaning towards the Samsug Droid Charge myself (though the similar
Thunderbolt is nipping at it's heels), the larger amoled screen is is a deal
maker.

The Atrix looks nice, it did make my short list in whittling down the list of
1288749993 Android phones to choose from.

Clay

Errol Sapir 09-20-2011 03:23 AM

linux and cell phones