Old 02-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Donn

Default Missing kcontrol menus (was: No "GTK Styles and Fonts" in Kcontrol)

> I'd like to configure the default email client and web browser.
Oh. I find that in System Settings -> default applications.

> should be a CLI command that starts the Conponent Chooser, but I
> cannot find it.
I am not familiar with the cli aspect of KDE really. Gimme a hint and I'll see
if it's on my system.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Mark Fraser

On Friday 15 February 2008 15:52:49 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 15/02/2008, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Strange, assuming you installed kubuntu-desktop I would have supposed
> > > that would be automatic. You may need to install 'gtk-qt-engine',
> > > perhaps that'll help.
> >
> > Thanks, the gtk-qt engine enabled the options.
>
> Another missing menu item! I have no"KDE Components -> Component
> Chooser". Note that this is a KDE install over Ubuntu 7.04, not
> Kubuntu. And I cannot upgrade as [K]Ubuntu >= 7.10 does not support my
> hardware (ATI card).
>
> What is the command to launch the Component Chooser independent of
> Kcontrol?

Right click on the panel and go to 'configure panel', in 'menus' select
settings from optional menus.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Derek Broughton

Donn wrote:

>> I'd like to configure the default email client and web browser.
> Oh. I find that in System Settings -> default applications.
>
>> should be a CLI command that starts the Conponent Chooser, but I
>> cannot find it.
> I am not familiar with the cli aspect of KDE really. Gimme a hint and I'll
> see if it's on my system.

In kcontrol, it's _also_ called "Default Applications"
--
derek

Old 02-15-2008, 05:41 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 15/02/2008, Mark Fraser <kubuntu@mfraz74.orangehome.co.uk> wrote:

> Right click on the panel and go to 'configure panel', in 'menus' select
> settings from optional menus.

Thank you. I already have that configured, in fact, and the same
options are in there as are in Kcontrol. So, the Component Chooser is
missing there as well.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:45 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 15/02/2008, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> In kcontrol, it's _also_ called "Default Applications"

Thanks. I still don't have it. This is what I do have (translated from Hebrew):
* Spell Checker (green abc-check icon)
* KDE Performance (red rocket icon)
* Working Manager (red stop button icon)
* File Manager (blue filing cabinet icon)
* Service Manager (red flag icon)
* KDE resources (red and blue window icon)
* File Associations (blue speak-bubble icon)

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Derek Broughton

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> On 15/02/2008, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>> In kcontrol, it's _also_ called "Default Applications"
>
> Thanks. I still don't have it. This is what I do have (translated from
> Hebrew):
> * Spell Checker (green abc-check icon)

clearly not appropriate in non-latin alphabets!

> * KDE Performance (red rocket icon)
> * Working Manager (red stop button icon)

Session Manager in English

> * File Manager (blue filing cabinet icon)
> * Service Manager (red flag icon)
> * KDE resources (red and blue window icon)
> * File Associations (blue speak-bubble icon)

So you have all the ones I have - except "Default Applications" (which
should have the same icon as the parent "KDE Components"). btw, if I go
into "Default Applications" and choose Help | About Default Applications,
the "about" calls it "Component Chooser". I still can't figure out what
the actual control module is called.

I've had this sort of problem on and off as long as I've been using Kubuntu,
though more often I have entries in kcontrol that actually reflect control
modules that are broken - right now "Restricted Drivers" is one such,
though since I don't have any restricted drivers I wasn't worring about it.
--
derek

Old 02-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Donn

These are the 'kde' and 'kubuntu' related packages on my system (I think it's
all of them):
$ apt-is-installed kde
gdebi-kde install
hwdb-client-kde install
kde-guidance install
kde-guidance-powermanager install
kde-icons-mono install
kde-style-polyester install
kde-systemsettings install
kdeadmin-kfile-plugins install
kdebase-bin install
kdebase-data install
kdebase-kio-plugins install
kdebluetooth install
kdegraphics-kfile-plugins install
kdelibs-data install
kdelibs4c2a install
kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins install
kdemultimedia-kio-plugins install
kdenetwork-filesharing install
kdenetwork-kfile-plugins install
kdepasswd install
kdepim-kio-plugins install
kdepim-kresources install
kdepim-wizards install
kdeprint install
kdesktop install
kdesudo install
language-pack-kde-af install
language-pack-kde-af-base install
language-pack-kde-en install
language-pack-kde-en-base install
libkdepim1a install
network-manager-kde install
openoffice.org-kde install
pykdeextensions install
python-kde3 install
restricted-manager-kde install
software-properties-kde install

$ apt-is-installed kub
kubuntu-artwork-usplash install
kubuntu-default-settings install
kubuntu-desktop install
kubuntu-docs install
kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts install

perhaps that will help you narrow things down. apt-is-installed is a script
which does this:
dpkg --get-selections | grep "install" | grep "$1"

Old 02-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Derek Broughton

Donn wrote:

> These are the 'kde' and 'kubuntu' related packages on my system (I think
> it's all of them):

This is all way more fun than I have time for :-)

# kcmshell --list

tells you all the control modules

# kcmshell defaultapplication

pops up the "Component chooser", and:

# kcmshell componentchooser

doesn't! (it's a blank window). Yet:

# dlocate defaultapplication
app-install-data: /usr/share/app-install/desktop/defaultapplication.desktop
kde-systemsettings: /usr/share/applications/kde/defaultapplication.desktop
kde-systemsettings: /usr/share/desktop-directories/kde-settings-defaultapplications.directory

- which doesn't seem helpful as both versions actually run the
command "kcmshell componentchooser"!

The only thing that jumps out at me is that there are no localization
strings that look quite like hebrew to me ('he', right? -
spellchecking.desktop, which Dotan has, _does_ have an 'he' localization).
--
derek

Old 02-15-2008, 08:46 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 15/02/2008, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Donn wrote:
>
> > These are the 'kde' and 'kubuntu' related packages on my system (I think
> > it's all of them):
>

> This is all way more fun than I have time for :-)
>
> # kcmshell --list
>
> tells you all the control modules

Here's where is gets interesting. Neither "defaultapplication" nor
"componentchooser" were on the list.

> # kcmshell defaultapplication
>
> pops up the "Component chooser", and:

feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ kcmshell defaultapplication
kcmshell (kdelibs): WARNING: Could not find module 'defaultapplication'.
feisty@feisty-laptop:~$

> # kcmshell componentchooser
>
> doesn't! (it's a blank window). Yet:

feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ kcmshell componentchooser
A blank window!

> # dlocate defaultapplication
> app-install-data: /usr/share/app-install/desktop/defaultapplication.desktop
> kde-systemsettings: /usr/share/applications/kde/defaultapplication.desktop
> kde-systemsettings: /usr/share/desktop-directories/kde-settings-defaultapplications.directory
>
> - which doesn't seem helpful as both versions actually run the
> command "kcmshell componentchooser"!
>
> The only thing that jumps out at me is that there are no localization
> strings that look quite like hebrew to me ('he', right? -
> spellchecking.desktop, which Dotan has, _does_ have an 'he' localization).

When there are no localization strings, KDE just prints the English
default. I tried starting Kcontrol in English, but only the menus in
the menu bar were English. The tree remained Hebrew.

Does anyone know which file in ~/.kde stores the default programs?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.