-   -   Using MySQL Commands (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/55974-using-mysql-commands.html)

"Brad De Vries" 02-15-2008 12:11 AM

Using MySQL Commands

All, I have the server edition of Gutsy Gibbon installed and working
nicely except for MySQL. The daemon seems to start fine:

$ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql status
* /usr/bin/mysqladmin Ver 8.41 Distrib 5.0.45, for pc-linux-gnu on i486
Copyright (C) 2000-2006 MySQL AB
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license

Server version 5.0.45-Debian_1ubuntu3.1-log
Protocol version 10
Connection Localhost via UNIX socket
UNIX socket /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
Uptime: 2 hours 35 min 4 sec

Threads: 1 Questions: 33 Slow queries: 0 Opens: 23 Flush tables: 1
Open tables: 17 Queries per second avg: 0.004

but when I try to connect using the mysql command, I get errors:

$ mysql -u root test
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: NO)

I did run the mysql_install_db command and it appeared to run fine but
I haven't been able to set the root password:

$ sudo mysqladmin -u root password newpassword
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'

Anyone have any thoughts about what I might be doing wrong here?

TIA,
Brad.

"Brad De Vries" 02-15-2008 12:29 AM

Using MySQL Commands

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Brad De Vries <devriesbj@gmail.com> wrote:
> All, I have the server edition of Gutsy Gibbon installed and working
> nicely except for MySQL. The daemon seems to start fine:
>
> $ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql status
> * /usr/bin/mysqladmin Ver 8.41 Distrib 5.0.45, for pc-linux-gnu on i486
> Copyright (C) 2000-2006 MySQL AB
> This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
> and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license
>
> Server version 5.0.45-Debian_1ubuntu3.1-log
> Protocol version 10
> Connection Localhost via UNIX socket
> UNIX socket /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
> Uptime: 2 hours 35 min 4 sec
>
> Threads: 1 Questions: 33 Slow queries: 0 Opens: 23 Flush tables: 1
> Open tables: 17 Queries per second avg: 0.004
>
> but when I try to connect using the mysql command, I get errors:
>
> $ mysql -u root test
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
> password: NO)
>
> I did run the mysql_install_db command and it appeared to run fine but
> I haven't been able to set the root password:
>
> $ sudo mysqladmin -u root password newpassword
> mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
>
> Anyone have any thoughts about what I might be doing wrong here?
>
> TIA,
> Brad.

Never mind, I must have typed the password wrongly during the
initialization. It's all better now.

Brad.

02-15-2008 12:34 AM

Using MySQL Commands

Quoting Brad De Vries <devriesbj@gmail.com>:

> $ sudo mysqladmin -u root password newpassword
> mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
>
> Anyone have any thoughts about what I might be doing wrong here?
>
> TIA,
> Brad.

Won't you need -u root -p
The it should come up and ask for a password. If none set try pressing enter on
a blank password
Alternatively just enter
mysql
at the mysql prompt enter