Old 02-13-2008, 07:14 PM
James Tappin

Default Downloading DV image from camera.

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:01:50 -0500
John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

JC> I have added a Firewire port, and cable to match. Now I want to download a DV
JC> video stream from my video camera. Two questions:
JC>
JC> 1. What software do I need via apt-get to facilitate this?

kino and/or dvgrab

Old 02-14-2008, 12:01 AM
John Culleton

I have added a Firewire port, and cable to match. Now I want to download a DV
video stream from my video camera. Two questions:

1. What software do I need via apt-get to facilitate this?

2. Once the software is installed and sleeping nicely in its crib, how do I
activate it so that it will capture the video stream and put it in a file?

I am using a recent Kubuntu unstable, installed from the live cd (so unstable
that most of Koffice doesn't work yet.) This is written from another
partition.
--
John Culleton

Old 02-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Larry Hartman

Also kdenlive....you may find that kdenlive has more features than kino....

There is also cinelerra, but that is hit or miss to set it up and have it
working, it is quite a bit more complex, and is designed for professional
video editing.

be aware that kino captures and automatically cuts files at a certain length,
then continues stream on next file.