Old 11-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Donn

Default Bizarro copy

Yikes,
My machine just choked and I got weird dialogues saying "can't
read .bash-history" skip, cancel (for e.g.).
After a while I could type again and in konsole I top(ped) and ps(ed) and so
forth. Found a kio_file, amarok and kmail running heavy. I killed them all
and then noticed new folders on my desktop!
I now have copies of almost my entire root directory on the desktop! Sheesh.
I know I didn't do it cos a) I'm careful, b) I was not doing anything
drag/drop or copy related.

I *had* set kmail to copy a vid sent to me to the desktop -- that's the only
thing I can connect to it.

After a while I saw a copy progress window and brought it up. It was busy
copying gigs from file://dev/dsp#att7
(Killed that sucker!)

Does that dev/dsp ring any bells? I can't find any 'dsp' in /dev.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:04 AM
"Phil Bieber"

On Nov 26, 2007 5:06 PM, Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yikes,
> My machine just choked and I got weird dialogues saying "can't
> read .bash-history" skip, cancel (for e.g.).
> After a while I could type again and in konsole I top(ped) and ps(ed) and so
> forth. Found a kio_file, amarok and kmail running heavy. I killed them all
> and then noticed new folders on my desktop!
> I now have copies of almost my entire root directory on the desktop! Sheesh.
> I know I didn't do it cos a) I'm careful, b) I was not doing anything
> drag/drop or copy related.
>
> I *had* set kmail to copy a vid sent to me to the desktop -- that's the only
> thing I can connect to it.
>
> After a while I saw a copy progress window and brought it up. It was busy
> copying gigs from file://dev/dsp#att7
> (Killed that sucker!)
>
> Does that dev/dsp ring any bells? I can't find any 'dsp' in /dev.

Hi Donn,
I don't know why your system is doing this, but "DSP" sounds a lot
like it is your sound card...

Hope that helps a bit...

Cheers
Philipp Bieber

--
Are there any experienced suicide bombers?

You, you, and you: Panic. The rest of you, come with me.

GPG KEY ID: 7C26EE5B0185E301
FINGERPRINT: CA81 28C2 E63F DAF8 5ED4 DACB 7C26 EE5B 0185 E301

Old 11-28-2007, 06:18 AM
Donn

> I don't know why your system is doing this, but "DSP" sounds a lot
> like it is your sound card...
Oh, that rings a bell. Not that it makes any sense! I don't know what happened
at all. It was like the system came alive and thought, "hmmm, I feel like a
holiday in the home partition."

Old 11-28-2007, 11:44 AM
John L Fjellstad

Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> writes:

> Does that dev/dsp ring any bells? I can't find any 'dsp' in /dev.

/dev/dsp used to be the device node for the old sound system (OSS) for linux.

--
John L. Fjellstad
web: http://www.fjellstad.org/ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes