Old 02-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Mark Fraser

Default Can no longer write a CD or DVD

I recently upgraded my processor from an Athlon 3700 to an Athlon X2 3600+ and
although everything seems to be working, I can no longer write a CD or DVD
with my Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A drive which is set as the master drive.

Writing a CD/DVD with k3b starts OK, but after a while the write speed goes
down to 0 and stays there, this can happen anywhere during the write process.
The Liteon CD-RW drive that is the slave device works fine and burns discs
without any problems.

I can't see that changing the processor would cause this, but it can't just be
bad luck that the drive has failed at exactly the same time as I changed
processor can it?

Old 02-13-2008, 08:09 PM
"Howard Coles Jr."

On Wednesday 13 February 2008 11:34:42 am Mark Fraser wrote:
> I recently upgraded my processor from an Athlon 3700 to an Athlon X2 3600+
> and although everything seems to be working, I can no longer write a CD or
> DVD with my Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A drive which is set as the master drive.
>
> Writing a CD/DVD with k3b starts OK, but after a while the write speed goes
> down to 0 and stays there, this can happen anywhere during the write
> process. The Liteon CD-RW drive that is the slave device works fine and
> burns discs without any problems.
>
> I can't see that changing the processor would cause this, but it can't just
> be bad luck that the drive has failed at exactly the same time as I changed
> processor can it?

The Athlon X2 is it a 32 bit or 64 bit proc? The reason I ask is that if you
just upgraded the hardware without upgrading to a 64 bit OS that may be some
of the problem. But, I can't remember if the 3600+ is 64 bit or not.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Mark Fraser

On Wednesday 13 February 2008 21:09:57 Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 February 2008 11:34:42 am Mark Fraser wrote:
> > I recently upgraded my processor from an Athlon 3700 to an Athlon X2
> > 3600+ and although everything seems to be working, I can no longer write
> > a CD or DVD with my Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A drive which is set as the
> > master drive.
> >
> > Writing a CD/DVD with k3b starts OK, but after a while the write speed
> > goes down to 0 and stays there, this can happen anywhere during the write
> > process. The Liteon CD-RW drive that is the slave device works fine and
> > burns discs without any problems.
> >
> > I can't see that changing the processor would cause this, but it can't
> > just be bad luck that the drive has failed at exactly the same time as I
> > changed processor can it?
>
> The Athlon X2 is it a 32 bit or 64 bit proc? The reason I ask is that if
> you just upgraded the hardware without upgrading to a 64 bit OS that may be
> some of the problem. But, I can't remember if the 3600+ is 64 bit or not.

Both are 64 bit processors, but I'm using them in 32bit mode.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:53 AM
"Howard Coles Jr."

On Wednesday 13 February 2008 03:21:13 pm Mark Fraser wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 February 2008 21:09:57 Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> > On Wednesday 13 February 2008 11:34:42 am Mark Fraser wrote:
> > > I recently upgraded my processor from an Athlon 3700 to an Athlon X2
> > > 3600+ and although everything seems to be working, I can no longer
> > > write a CD or DVD with my Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A drive which is set as
> > > the master drive.
> > >
> > > Writing a CD/DVD with k3b starts OK, but after a while the write speed
> > > goes down to 0 and stays there, this can happen anywhere during the
> > > write process. The Liteon CD-RW drive that is the slave device works
> > > fine and burns discs without any problems.
> > >
> > > I can't see that changing the processor would cause this, but it can't
> > > just be bad luck that the drive has failed at exactly the same time as
> > > I changed processor can it?
> >
> > The Athlon X2 is it a 32 bit or 64 bit proc? The reason I ask is that if
> > you just upgraded the hardware without upgrading to a 64 bit OS that may
> > be some of the problem. But, I can't remember if the 3600+ is 64 bit or
> > not.
>
> Both are 64 bit processors, but I'm using them in 32bit mode.

Hmm, completely slipped my mind, I had an Athlon 3200 that was 32 bit, and
forgot that in there somewhere they went to 64. Anyway, try this: Start out
with a speed that's half of what your running now, and see if it trudges its
way through. And, yes, it could be that the CD/DVD burner doesn't like the
faster processor.

Here's something to check running in 32 bit mode, how many procs are active on
your system? On my AMD X2 box, I had to run 64 bit native mode to get both
cores to run. Some apps were running horribly, and if I remember right K3b
was one of them.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Mark Fraser

On Thursday 14 February 2008 02:53:02 Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 February 2008 03:21:13 pm Mark Fraser wrote:

> > > The Athlon X2 is it a 32 bit or 64 bit proc? The reason I ask is that
> > > if you just upgraded the hardware without upgrading to a 64 bit OS that
> > > may be some of the problem. But, I can't remember if the 3600+ is 64
> > > bit or not.
> >
> > Both are 64 bit processors, but I'm using them in 32bit mode.
>
> Hmm, completely slipped my mind, I had an Athlon 3200 that was 32 bit, and
> forgot that in there somewhere they went to 64. Anyway, try this: Start
> out with a speed that's half of what your running now, and see if it
> trudges its way through. And, yes, it could be that the CD/DVD burner
> doesn't like the faster processor.

It has been playing up recently though - not recognising that I've loaded a
blank disk, but it always burnt OK. Also, the other CD-RW drive is working
OK. Will try lowering the write speed for that drive though.

> Here's something to check running in 32 bit mode, how many procs are active
> on your system?

KInfocenter says there are 2 processors running and it does seem to make
avidemux process videos faster, so that would seem to mean it is working.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Mark Fraser

On Thursday 14 February 2008 11:59:17 Mark Fraser wrote:
> On Thursday 14 February 2008 02:53:02 Howard Coles Jr. wrote:

> > > Both are 64 bit processors, but I'm using them in 32bit mode.
> >
> > Hmm, completely slipped my mind, I had an Athlon 3200 that was 32 bit,
> > and forgot that in there somewhere they went to 64. Anyway, try this:
> > Start out with a speed that's half of what your running now, and see if
> > it trudges its way through. And, yes, it could be that the CD/DVD burner
> > doesn't like the faster processor.
>
> It has been playing up recently though - not recognising that I've loaded a
> blank disk, but it always burnt OK. Also, the other CD-RW drive is working
> OK. Will try lowering the write speed for that drive though.

Managed to burn a data DVD at 6x speed, but when I tried to burn a DVD Video I
couldn't even get it to work at 4x.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Nigel Ridley

Mark Fraser wrote:
> On Thursday 14 February 2008 11:59:17 Mark Fraser wrote:
[snip]
>> It has been playing up recently though - not recognising that I've loaded a
>> blank disk, but it always burnt OK. Also, the other CD-RW drive is working
>> OK. Will try lowering the write speed for that drive though.
>
> Managed to burn a data DVD at 6x speed, but when I tried to burn a DVD Video I
> couldn't even get it to work at 4x.

I had similar problems with a DVD burner. In the end I replaced the burner with a new one
and no more problems.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 02-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Mark Fraser

On Thursday 14 February 2008 16:48:33 Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Mark Fraser wrote:
> > On Thursday 14 February 2008 11:59:17 Mark Fraser wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> It has been playing up recently though - not recognising that I've
> >> loaded a blank disk, but it always burnt OK. Also, the other CD-RW drive
> >> is working OK. Will try lowering the write speed for that drive though.
> >
> > Managed to burn a data DVD at 6x speed, but when I tried to burn a DVD
> > Video I couldn't even get it to work at 4x.
>
> I had similar problems with a DVD burner. In the end I replaced the burner
> with a new one and no more problems.

I'm in the middle of putting new motherboard/CPU in my computer so I was
thinking about getting a new SATA DVD burner anyway. Gonna put the old
components together to make another computer for my daughter.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Nigel Ridley

Mark Fraser wrote:
> On Thursday 14 February 2008 16:48:33 Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> Mark Fraser wrote:
>>> On Thursday 14 February 2008 11:59:17 Mark Fraser wrote:
>> [snip]

>>> Managed to burn a data DVD at 6x speed, but when I tried to burn a DVD
>>> Video I couldn't even get it to work at 4x.
>> I had similar problems with a DVD burner. In the end I replaced the burner
>> with a new one and no more problems.
>
> I'm in the middle of putting new motherboard/CPU in my computer so I was
> thinking about getting a new SATA DVD burner anyway. Gonna put the old
> components together to make another computer for my daughter.

We've got given old P111's in the past but for the cost of 1GB SDRAM you can buy a new
computer with 1GB DDR2 - the math is a no-brainer......

Blessings,

Nigel