-   -   No valid font path (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/53847-no-valid-font-path.html)

Mike Bullen 02-12-2008 05:26 PM

No valid font path

I installed the server version 7.10. Installed X server. Installed xinit. When I start X using startx I get the error message no valid fonthpath.* I tried sudo apt-get install fontconfig but still cannot start X using startx?? Any solutions?

Thank you
Mike Bullen --
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

claydoh 02-12-2008 05:49 PM

No valid font path

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 1:26:51 pm Mike Bullen wrote:
> I installed the server version 7.10. Installed X server. Installed xinit.
> When I start X using startx I get the error message no valid fonthpath. I
> tried sudo apt-get install fontconfig but still cannot start X using
> startx?? Any solutions?
>

> Thank you
> Mike Bullen

Have you configured your xserver?
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
will do that, plus you may have to install other xorg/xserver related
packages. However, I couldn't tell you which other ones you would need.

And as ubuntu-server has no graphical interface, you will need to install one,
whether it be gnome, kde, xfce, fluxbox, or whatever, else I am guessing
startx won't have anything to start. If you install, say, fluxbox, it should
also install all the other needed xserver-related packages you would need.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Mike Bullen 02-12-2008 06:02 PM

No valid font path

Yes I did configure the server. Could you point me to the link on how to install kde on a server? I am new to ubuntu 3 days experience.

Donn 02-12-2008 06:03 PM

No valid font path

Install either kubuntu-desktop, ubuntu-desktop or xubuntu-desktop -- that
should get you all the stuff you'll need. Or start again and download the
non-server ISO of one of them like Kubuntu Gutsy.

Mike Bullen 02-12-2008 06:09 PM

No valid font path

Since this is the first time I am using ubuntu what you are saying is the server does not have a user interface and I need a client with an interface to talk to the server? Is that correct? Coming from a windows environment when I install windows server 2003 I get the interface to modify and setup the server, is there a way to add a user interface to the server 7.10 such as kubuntu. Hope this makes sense.

Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> wrote: Install either kubuntu-desktop, ubuntu-desktop or xubuntu-desktop -- that

"Andrew Jarrett" 02-12-2008 06:18 PM

No valid font path

On Feb 12, 2008 2:09 PM, Mike Bullen <mikebullen@verizon.net> wrote:
> Since this is the first time I am using ubuntu what you are saying is the
> server does not have a user interface and I need a client with an interface
> to talk to the server? Is that correct? Coming from a windows environment
> when I install windows server 2003 I get the interface to modify and setup
> the server, is there a way to add a user interface to the server 7.10 such
> as kubuntu. Hope this makes sense.

You can install a user-interface on your server for graphical server
management, just follow the advice by Donn and Clay. The reason why
the server CD does not include a graphical user interface by default
is because most linux server admins prefer to use the command line
and/or have a headless server. Coming from a Windows Server 2003
environment, this may seem awkward, but you can install a gui if you
would like. Note that you would also need to install software to help
you manage your server. I think you might like to try out Webmin. It
should be in the repos.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

Donn 02-12-2008 11:47 PM

No valid font path

Mike,
Apologies - I assumed you were more experienced for some reason. As Andrew
says, the user interface in Gnu/Linux land is entirely optional and
wide-ranging. You can choose from an array of different approaches. These
things are known as 'window managers' (WM) - they manage 'windows' which is a
generic (and pre-MS) word for the boxes that contain apps.

Just to reiterate: Gnu/Linux sits underneath whatever WM you like. You can
have many all going simultaneously and switch between them!

Ubuntu/Kubuntu/??buntu all represent a core of identical stuff with a
different WM and a varying choice of applications pre-installed to give them
a flavour/purpose. Any one can morph into the other by the installation of
further software (and some fiddling) but it's better to aim at what you need
in the first place.

KDE:
Very advanced, fast (I find) and highly configurable.
Represented as "Kubuntu" in the Ubuntu distro family
GNOME:
Attractive, user-friendly. I can't say much about it cos I use KDE.
"Ubuntu" is this one.

Others have names like "Enlightenment" (E16 and E17 - E17 is
wow), "Blackbox", "Fluxbox" and I forget the others. There are many.

To get you up and running on KDE, do this:
1. Connect to the net. I hope you got this going. If not, it's a whole 'nother
story.
2. From your terminal issue:
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
3. Prepare for a large download! Go make pancakes :)

That should start the process of downloading and installing KDE and all it
requires. I am not 100% sure because I have never used the 'server' version
of Ubuntu (indeed, I never knew there was a release sans a window manager.)
so there may be added wrinkles. This is why I advised you start again with
another ISO. Try this link:
http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php

HTH,

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

Donn 02-14-2008 07:56 AM

No valid font path

> Since this is the first time I am using ubuntu what you are saying is the
> server does not have a user interface and I need a client with an interface
> to talk to the server? Is that correct?
I wrote a pretty comprehensive post to you yesterday, perhaps you did not get
it. Check the archives. If you can't find it I will repost it.