Old 02-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Willis Taylor

Default IP4300 driver for Kubuntu 7.10

I'm new to Kubuntu but I found an article when searching for a driver for my IP4300 Canon printer. I downloaded the tar file and the following is my attempts to install it from the instructions. The exact address of the tar file is /home/<user name>/downloads if that is needed. Thank you for your help in advance. I know it's tough to deal with long time windows converts.

sudo: gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.i486.rpm: command not found
root@workgroup:~# sudo alien --scripts gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.i486.rpm
sudo: alien: command not found
root@workgroup:~# sudo --scripts gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.i486.rpm
sudo: please use single character options
usage: sudo -K | -L | -V | -h | -k | -l | -v
usage: sudo [-HPSb] [-p prompt] [-u username|#uid]
{ -e file [...] | -i | -s | <command> }
root@workgroup:~# sudo rpm -Uvh gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.1486.rpm
sudo: rpm: command not found
root@workgroup:~# sudo dpkg -i gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.1486.rpm
dpkg: error processing gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.1486.rpm (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.1486.rpm
root@workgroup:~# dpkg -i gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.1486.rpm
dpkg: error processing gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.1486.rpm (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.1486.rpm
root@workgroup:~#
dpkg -i /home/willis/downloads/gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.1486.rpm
dpkg: error
processing /home/willis/downloads/gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.1486.rpm

Old 02-12-2008, 04:58 AM
Wulfy

Willis Taylor wrote:
> I'm new to Kubuntu but I found an article when searching for a driver for my IP4300 Canon printer. I downloaded the tar file and the following is my attempts to install it from the instructions. The exact address of the tar file is /home/<user name>/downloads if that is needed. Thank you for your help in advance. I know it's tough to deal with long time windows converts.
Any reason you're not using the version in the repos?

Installing cupsys-driver-gutenprint will give you 5.0.1.

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

Old 02-12-2008, 11:14 AM
David McGlone

On Monday 11 February 2008 9:16:25 am Willis Taylor wrote:
> I'm new to Kubuntu but I found an article when searching for a driver for
> my IP4300 Canon printer. I downloaded the tar file and the following is my
> attempts to install it from the instructions. The exact address of the tar
> file is /home/<user name>/downloads if that is needed. Thank you for your
> help in advance. I know it's tough to deal with long time windows
> converts.
>

> sudo: gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.i486.rpm: command not found
> root@workgroup:~# sudo alien --scripts gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.i486.rpm
> sudo: alien: command not found
> root@workgroup:~# sudo --scripts gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.i486.rpm
> sudo: please use single character options
> usage: sudo -K | -L | -V | -h | -k | -l | -v
> usage: sudo [-HPSb] [-p prompt] [-u username|#uid]
> { -e file [...] | -i | -s | <command> }
> root@workgroup:~# sudo rpm -Uvh gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.1486.rpm
> sudo: rpm: command not found
> root@workgroup:~# sudo dpkg -i gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.1486.rpm
> dpkg: error processing gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.1486.rpm (--install):
> cannot access archive: No such file or directory
> gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.1486.rpm
> root@workgroup:~# dpkg -i gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.1486.rpm
> dpkg: error processing gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.1486.rpm (--install):
> cannot access archive: No such file or directory
> gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.1486.rpm
> root@workgroup:~#
> dpkg -i /home/willis/downloads/gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.1486.rpm
> dpkg: error
> processing /home/willis/downloads/gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.1486.rpm
> (--install):
> cannot access archive: No such file or directory
> /home/willis/downloads/gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.1486.rpm
> root@workgroup:~#

This package isn't a deb package. A deb package ends with .deb instead of .rpm

I'm pretty sure the package your looking for is libgutenprint2 do this: sudo
apt-get install libgutenprint2.

Let me know if you have any problems.

You can also open package manager Kmenu->system->adept manager and install it
that way, just do a search on gutenprint.

--
David M.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Alexander Smirnov

David McGlone wrote:

> This package isn't a deb package. A deb package ends with .deb instead of .rpm
>
> I'm pretty sure the package your looking for is libgutenprint2 do this: sudo
> apt-get install libgutenprint2.
>
> Let me know if you have any problems.
>
> You can also open package manager Kmenu->system->adept manager and install it
> that way, just do a search on gutenprint.

reading your answer I thought that not installing 'alien' by default is
a brilliant idea!