-   -   Compiling on Kubuntu unstable. (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/53150-compiling-kubuntu-unstable.html)

Chris Jones 02-11-2008 09:34 PM

Compiling on Kubuntu unstable.

I linked c++ to cpp by hand.

That sounds wrong - It should not be necessary to link anything by hand.
It should just be there, as long as you install the correct packages.

If you remove the link and try and run "c++" what do you get ? I think
it should suggest you install the package "g++"

But I get a wierd error message that I
> don't get on slackware 12, something about -c is not a valid parameter for
> c++.

That is because c++ and gcc are not the same...

Chris

Wulfy 02-11-2008 09:41 PM

John Culleton wrote:
> I tried compiling Scribus svn 1.3.5 on Kubuntu but found that several needed
> cmpilation aids were missing. So I used apt-get install for gcc, cmake and
> make. I linked c++ to cpp by hand. But I get a wierd error message that I
> don't get on slackware 12, something about -c is not a valid parameter for
> c++.
>
> I suspect I am missing something in the compile tools, (which IMO ought to be
> there automatically as they are in Slack. ) Can anyone suggest what i need to
> download?

Do you have the build-essential package installed?

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

Derek Broughton 02-13-2008 03:54 AM

Wulfy wrote:

> John Culleton wrote:
>> I tried compiling Scribus svn 1.3.5 on Kubuntu but found that several
>> needed cmpilation aids were missing. So I used apt-get install for gcc,
>> cmake and
>> make. I linked c++ to cpp by hand. But I get a wierd error message that
>> I don't get on slackware 12, something about -c is not a valid parameter
>> for c++.

otoh, you don't use cpp when you want c++. On my system, c++ ultimately
points to g++-4.1, and cpp points to cpp-4.1.

>> I suspect I am missing something in the compile tools, (which IMO ought
>> to be there automatically as they are in Slack. )

Why? On a binary-packaging system - like any of the Debian- or Redhat-based
distros - very few people _need_ compilers, so they're left off the CDs so
that Ubuntu can still manage to get the whole release onto one CD.

>> Can anyone suggest what
>> i need to download?
>>

> Do you have the build-essential package installed?

Clearly not.
--
derek

Derek Broughton 02-13-2008 09:45 PM

John Culleton wrote:

> FYI: build-install plus cairo2-dev plus python-dev did the trick.
> Remember, I am new around here and don't have the streetmap memorized yet.
>
> For lots of software the "download source and then compile" route is the
> best way to stay close to the current edition. Tarballs are pretty
> universal after all.

They're really _not_ universal on debian-based systems. Sure you can always
use them, but they're not the best way to go and you can almost always find
a binary package for whatever you want. I'm a software developer, but I
still have virtually no applications compiled from source (and the ones I
have are usually compiled from Ubuntu sources - that is, by "apt-get
source" and "dpkg-buildpackage" and not the "./configure;make;make-install"
route).

> Now that I have gcc, make, cmake and build-install I can have the
> best of both worlds.

No. Now you have the "old world" :-) The other tool you need if you really
must compile from tarballs is "checkinstall" - then you can integrate your
self-compiled packages with the package management system.
--
derek

John Culleton 02-14-2008 12:19 AM

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 11:54:41 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
> Wulfy wrote:
> > John Culleton wrote:
> >> I tried compiling Scribus svn 1.3.5 on Kubuntu but found that several
> >> needed cmpilation aids were missing. So I used apt-get install for gcc,
> >> cmake and
> >> make. I linked c++ to cpp by hand. But I get a wierd error message that
> >> I don't get on slackware 12, something about -c is not a valid parameter
> >> for c++.
>
> otoh, you don't use cpp when you want c++. On my system, c++ ultimately
> points to g++-4.1, and cpp points to cpp-4.1.
>
> >> I suspect I am missing something in the compile tools, (which IMO ought
> >> to be there automatically as they are in Slack. )
>
> Why? On a binary-packaging system - like any of the Debian- or
> Redhat-based distros - very few people _need_ compilers, so they're left
> off the CDs so that Ubuntu can still manage to get the whole release onto
> one CD.
>
> >> Can anyone suggest what
> >> i need to download?
> >
> > Do you have the build-essential package installed?
>
> Clearly not.
> --
> derek

FYI: build-install plus cairo2-dev plus python-dev did the trick. Remember, I
am new around here and don't have the streetmap memorized yet.

For lots of software the "download source and then compile" route is the best
way to stay close to the current edition. Tarballs are pretty universal after
all. Now that I have gcc, make, cmake and build-install I can have the best
of both worlds.

--
John Culleton