FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Andrew Syrewicze
 
Default master boot record

On Monday 11 February 2008 12:08:59 Paul Runner wrote:
> I am new to Kubuntu and linux, I would like to know how to delete previous
> versions on the master boot record. Everytime I do an update it adds the
> new version and the older versions stay as a choice. Also other family
> members use the computer and I would like to make Wndows XP the default
> startup OS or have a longer time before Kubuntu is automatically chosen.
>
> Thank You,
> Paul

I'm guessing you mean removing old instances of the kernel from your Grub boot
menu???

In that case you need to open adept and search for linux-image and remove the
oldest version.

as for selecting WinXP by default you need to edit you /boot/grub/menu.lst
file, and change the defualt value in the file to what number XP is in the
order of the grub Boot list. (the first entry being 0)

ANDO

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Paul Runner
 
Default master boot record

Thanx for the quick reply, I must still have not enough knowledge yet, because I couldn't get it done. Paul

Andrew Syrewicze <asyrewicze@gmail.com> wrote: On Monday 11 February 2008 12:08:59 Paul Runner wrote:
> I am new to Kubuntu and linux, I would like to know how to delete previous
> versions on the master boot record. Everytime I do an update it adds the
> new version and the older versions stay as a choice. Also other family
> members use the computer and I would like to make Wndows XP the default
> startup OS or have a longer time before Kubuntu is automatically chosen.
>
> Thank You,
> Paul

I'm guessing you mean removing old instances of the kernel from your Grub boot
menu???

In that case you need to open adept and search for linux-image and remove
the
oldest version.

as for selecting WinXP by default you need to edit you /boot/grub/menu.lst
file, and change the defualt value in the file to what number XP is in the
order of the grub Boot list. (the first entry being 0)

ANDO

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-12-2008, 08:58 PM
"J. Michael Morse"
 
Default master boot record

You don't need to mess with the MBR. I think what you are asking for
address in the second response. Using Kate, Kwrite or some other text
editor (don't use Open Office, etc, make sure it is a text only
editor), open up /boot/grub/menu.lst and edit the file accordingly.

Don't let the file extension mislead you. I don't think Linux really
uses file extensions. The file ends in .lst and not .txt but it is
still a text file.

Try this at the command line:

sudo kate /boot/grub/menu.lst

and see if you can't go from there.

Good luck!

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-13-2008, 02:04 AM
"Andrew Jarrett"
 
Default master boot record

On Feb 12, 2008 4:58 PM, J. Michael Morse <mmorse757@gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't let the file extension mislead you. I don't think Linux really
> uses file extensions. The file ends in .lst and not .txt but it is
> still a text file.

That's correct, file extensions are pretty much trivial and really are
only there to help the user in figuring out what a file does. And if
that doesn't blow your mind, how about this:
In Linux, everything is a file... even folders are files.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-13-2008, 07:47 AM
"Hervé Fache"
 
Default master boot record

To complete other's answers, the first lines you see are different choices for *Ubuntu. Although you may find 'unclean' to have several versions there, it is not so trivial to remove older versions, so I would suggest you leave them there for now.


J. Michael explained perfectly which file to open (/boot/grub/menu.lst) and how to open it ('sudo kate /boot/grub/menu.lst'). Now you need to find out which number to put in front of the 'default' keyword, usually found at line 14 (initial value is normally 0).


Let's see:
- each of the kernel version takes two lines (normal + safe modes)
- memory check takes one line

So the result is (kernels * 2) + 2. I have one kernel version, so it is 4 for me. If you have 2 kernel versions, it's 6, and so on...


Hope this helps,
Hervé

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 6:08 PM, Paul Runner <prunner@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

*I am new to Kubuntu and linux, I would like to know how to delete previous versions on the master boot record. Everytime I do an update it adds the new version and the older versions stay as a choice. Also other family members use the computer and I would like to make Wndows* XP the default startup OS or have a longer time before Kubuntu is automatically chosen.
* Thank You, Paul
--

kubuntu-users mailing list

kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users




--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-13-2008, 02:22 PM
"Jonas Norlander"
 
Default master boot record

On Feb 13, 2008 4:04 AM, Andrew Jarrett <jarrett.andrew@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2008 4:58 PM, J. Michael Morse <mmorse757@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Don't let the file extension mislead you. I don't think Linux really
> > uses file extensions. The file ends in .lst and not .txt but it is
> > still a text file.
>
> That's correct, file extensions are pretty much trivial and really are
> only there to help the user in figuring out what a file does. And if
> that doesn't blow your mind, how about this:
> In Linux, everything is a file... even folders are files.
>
> Andrew
>

Just a comment:
You are right that file extensions has no purpose on Linux.
But folders are files on many file systems for example FAT
uses a special file to store metadata, name, extension, attributes etc. for
the files in that folder so it's nothing specially just for Linux it's
more about
the type of file system used.
What you want to point out i guess, is probably that all devices/hardware i.e.
keybord, mouse, soundcard is a file in linux and you can write and read to
them through the file system.

/Jonas

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-13-2008, 07:28 PM
"Andrew Jarrett"
 
Default master boot record

On Feb 13, 2008 10:22 AM, Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2008 4:04 AM, Andrew Jarrett <jarrett.andrew@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 12, 2008 4:58 PM, J. Michael Morse <mmorse757@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Don't let the file extension mislead you. I don't think Linux really
> > > uses file extensions. The file ends in .lst and not .txt but it is
> > > still a text file.
> >
> > That's correct, file extensions are pretty much trivial and really are
> > only there to help the user in figuring out what a file does. And if
> > that doesn't blow your mind, how about this:
> > In Linux, everything is a file... even folders are files.
> >
> > Andrew
> >
>
> Just a comment:
> You are right that file extensions has no purpose on Linux.
> But folders are files on many file systems for example FAT
> uses a special file to store metadata, name, extension, attributes etc. for
> the files in that folder so it's nothing specially just for Linux it's
> more about
> the type of file system used.
> What you want to point out i guess, is probably that all devices/hardware i.e.
> keybord, mouse, soundcard is a file in linux and you can write and read to
> them through the file system.
>
> /Jonas

Right. I knew that folders are files on more than filesystems used
with Linux, but thanks for the clarification and extra info.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:34 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org