-   -   add to the PATH (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/52147-add-path.html)

Casper Skovby 02-10-2008 08:48 PM

add to the PATH

Hi,

I am running Kubuntu Feisty. I need to add a directory to the PATH. I
know how to see it (echo $PATH) but where can I change it?

Thank you.

Kind regards
Casper

"Andrew Jarrett" 02-10-2008 08:59 PM

add to the PATH

On Feb 10, 2008 4:48 PM, Casper Skovby <casperskovby@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running Kubuntu Feisty. I need to add a directory to the PATH. I
> know how to see it (echo $PATH) but where can I change it?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Kind regards
> Casper

If you want to add the directory to the front of the path:
PATH=/dir:$PATH
export PATH

To add to the end of the path:
PATH=$PATH:/dir
export PATH

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

"Francisco Borges" 02-10-2008 09:03 PM

add to the PATH

Hello,

I guess you are using the default shell, bash. If that is the case, I
think the right place to change your path is at

~/.bash_profile

which is the "The personal initialization file, executed for login
shells". At the end of the bash manual ("man bash"), there is a
section explaining which files affect the shell and what exactly they
do. Some other people might point you to ~/.bashrc, changing it there
would also work.

If you need to learn more about bash, try consulting the "Bash
Reference Manual".

Cheers,
Francisco

On Feb 10, 2008 10:48 PM, Casper Skovby <casperskovby@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running Kubuntu Feisty. I need to add a directory to the PATH. I
> know how to see it (echo $PATH) but where can I change it?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Kind regards
> Casper

Francisco