Old 02-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Constantinos Maltezos

Default requesting software to be added to repositories

First of all, let me belatedly thank the people who responded to my three
issues post. I worked out a few things and will post what I've learned soon.

Now, on to my current question. First of all, if there are any writers on
this list, I'd like to announce (if you don't already know about it) that
I've finally found a serious screenwriting solution (with some excellent
related features) for Linux. It's called celtx and I've yet to try it, but
I've read good things. Now, as the subject line suggests, I'd like to
request to the maintainers of the Kubuntu repositories that they add this
software suite (yes, it's free). How would I go about doing that?

I've been having some serious issues installing KDE 4 on Gutsy, but I don't
want to make another annoying list of issues, so I'll save that for another
time.

Lastly, I believe it was on this list that I came across the following
signature:

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

To whomever uses this: I'd like to steal it for my personal use. Do you mind?
I'd be happy to include your name after it, quoting you.

Thanks,
Constantinos

Old 02-10-2008, 05:50 PM
"Richard A. Johnson"

On Sunday 10 February 2008, Constantinos Maltezos wrote:
[...]
| Now, on to my current question. First of all, if there are any writers on
| this list, I'd like to announce (if you don't already know about it) that
| I've finally found a serious screenwriting solution (with some excellent
| related features) for Linux. It's called celtx and I've yet to try it, but
| I've read good things. Now, as the subject line suggests, I'd like to
| request to the maintainers of the Kubuntu repositories that they add this
| software suite (yes, it's free). How would I go about doing that?

You need to file a bug on Launchpad requesting this application to be packaged.
The link to file a bug is:

https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug?field.tags=needs-packaging

A little patience will be needed because there is no telling how long it will
take for someone to grab the application and package it. I read the Celtx
license which seems to be built off of the Mozilla license with some other
amendments to it, so I am not sure if it will make it into Universe or
Multiverse.

--
Richard A. Johnson
nixternal@kubuntu.org

Old 02-10-2008, 08:56 PM
"Jussi Schultink"

This is a reply from Andrew Hunter, a Member of the Ubuntu Studio Team.

Jussi

First, you would check to see if a bug has already been filed (which it
already has) and if not file it.

Then tag said bug report with needs-packaging. If you are going to
attempt to package it yourself, assign the bug to yourself.

The policy and procidure from here is documented in the wiki under the
MOTU page.

As for celtx as a package itself, a _lot_ of work would need to be done
to clean it up and package it. Due mainly IMO to the devs coming from a
non-*nix background, the source package is hell. The current upstream
set up is to have seperate binary built for each language it supports
(Don't believe me, have a look at the download section). There are other
problems that I wont list here.

The above it not to say that someone could not get a semi-funtional
package done up and in a PPA. Just don't expect to be able to get Celtx
in the repos in its current (upstream) state.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:29 AM
David McGlone

On Sunday 10 February 2008 10:45:21 am Constantinos Maltezos wrote:
> Lastly, I believe it was on this list that I came across the following
> signature:
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>
> To whomever uses this: I'd like to steal it for my personal use. Do you
> mind? I'd be happy to include your name after it, quoting you.

IIRC this is Dotan's sig line.

--
David M.