-   -   Kontact Krashes Konstantly (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/51420-kontact-krashes-konstantly.html)

"Dotan Cohen" 02-09-2008 07:19 PM

Kontact Krashes Konstantly

I cannot open Kontact. As soon as it opens, it segfaults (11). There
is no useful output. I suspect that the problem lies in the akregator
component, which also will not open. All other components open fine.

feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ kontact
ERROR: Communication problem with kontact, it probably crashed.
KCrash: Application 'kontact' crashing...
feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ akregator
KCrash: Application 'akregator' crashing...
akregator: ERROR: Communication problem with akregator, it probably crashed.
feisty@feisty-laptop:~$

Of course, the MS methods of reboot and retry did not help. Any ideas?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Larry Hartman 02-09-2008 10:17 PM

Kontact Krashes Konstantly

I think I had this problem before....purge akregator and reinstall?....my
memory is fuzzy in how I fixed it.

Larry

Donn 02-10-2008 01:32 AM

Kontact Krashes Konstantly

The files live in:
/home/donn/.kde/share/apps/akregator
Try to rename what you find in there and start Akregator again - perhaps it
will clean-slate.
Then you can introduce the feeds one-by-one. It seems data/feeds.opml is an
xml file of feeds - you could (save and) hack it.

"Dotan Cohen" 02-10-2008 08:39 AM

On 10/02/2008, Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> wrote:
> The files live in:
> /home/donn/.kde/share/apps/akregator
> Try to rename what you find in there and start Akregator again - perhaps it
> will clean-slate.
> Then you can introduce the feeds one-by-one. It seems data/feeds.opml is an
> xml file of feeds - you could (save and) hack it.

Thanks. In /home/feisty/.kde/share/apps/akregator_nowork/data there
were two files:
feeds.opml
feeds.opml~ (obviously the backup file)

They are XML files. They seem to differ only in the fact that the
original is properly indented and the backup has no redundant
whitespace, including the lack of newlines. Overwriting the original
with the backup solves the issue.

There is no sensitive data is the files, so if someone wants to see
them (to examine what caused the bug) then just ask.

Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Donn 02-10-2008 08:49 AM

Kontact Krashes Konstantly

> Overwriting the original
> with the backup solves the issue.
Cool tip.

> Thanks.
Glad it led to something that worked ;)

"Dotan Cohen" 02-10-2008 10:35 AM

Kontact Krashes Konstantly

On 10/02/2008, Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Overwriting the original
> > with the backup solves the issue.
> Cool tip.
>
> > Thanks.
> Glad it led to something that worked ;)

You know what's cool about KDE, Donn? I was never for a second worried
about my data. I knew that it is in text files, and that all I'd have
to do was identify the corrupted file and replace it. Maximum, I'd
lose one feed or entry.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Donn 02-10-2008 10:53 AM

Kontact Krashes Konstantly

> You know what's cool about KDE, Donn? I was never for a second worried
> about my data.
That's a general feeling that I have enjoyed for the last 6 years about
Gnu/Linux as a whole. I only suffered once with kalarm changing its text-file
format between versions and I fixed that in kate! Sweet.

Larry Hartman 02-10-2008 03:03 PM

Kontact Krashes Konstantly

This would all mean that my procedure to fix the issue was way too
invasive/aggressive. oh well.

Larry

"Dotan Cohen" 02-10-2008 04:01 PM

On 10/02/2008, Larry Hartman <larryhartman50@vzavenue.net> wrote:
> This would all mean that my procedure to fix the issue was way too
> invasive/aggressive. oh well.

A tad :)

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Derek Broughton 02-11-2008 03:10 PM

Larry Hartman wrote:

> I think I had this problem before....purge akregator and reinstall?....my
> memory is fuzzy in how I fixed it.

Larry, please don't top post.

> On Saturday 09 February 2008 12:19:26 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> I cannot open Kontact. As soon as it opens, it segfaults (11). There
>> is no useful output. I suspect that the problem lies in the akregator
>> component, which also will not open. All other components open fine.

Larry's solution should work, but it's rather drastic.

You could try just starting akregator and see if it's possible to
reconfigure it. If that doesn't work, try renaming
~/.kde/share/config/akregatorrc and restarting akregator.
--
derek