Old 04-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Bruce Marshall

Default If ubuntu wanted to really help themselves

they should really look for a better bug tracker than Launchpad.

I know, if you reported 1 bug a week, you might get used to it.

But I REFUSE to spend the time with this complex process to re-learn it every
6 months.

I've rather spend the time looking for work-arounds. Much more productive.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Clay Weber

On Sunday, April 03, 2011 07:04:38 PM Bruce Marshall wrote:
> they should really look for a better bug tracker than Launchpad.
>
> I know, if you reported 1 bug a week, you might get used to it.
>
> But I REFUSE to spend the time with this complex process to re-learn it
> every 6 months.
>
> I've rather spend the time looking for work-arounds. Much more productive.
A way to mitigate the pain is to try this:

$ ubuntu-bug dolphin
or whatever app is the subject. If unsure, just use 'linux'

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Bugs/Reporting

The wizard will udsually fill in the blanks for you package-name wise, etc. as
it walks you through it; for example in my example using dolphin, it selects
the package 'kdebae' if you look in the details section. It isn't perfect, but
it sure makes it about on par with other bug trackers I have used.

But if it is application-related, ie not something specific to ubuntu/kubuntu
you might consider reporting directly to kde from the program's Help menu. It
also walks you through things a bit on their tracker.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 04-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Alvin

On 04/04/2011 01:37, Clay Weber wrote:
> On Sunday, April 03, 2011 07:04:38 PM Bruce Marshall wrote:
>> they should really look for a better bug tracker than Launchpad.
>>
>> I know, if you reported 1 bug a week, you might get used to it.
>>
>> But I REFUSE to spend the time with this complex process to re-learn it
>> every 6 months.
>>
>> I've rather spend the time looking for work-arounds. Much more productive.
> A way to mitigate the pain is to try this:
>
> $ ubuntu-bug dolphin
> or whatever app is the subject. If unsure, just use 'linux'
>
> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Bugs/Reporting
>
> The wizard will udsually fill in the blanks for you package-name wise, etc. as
> it walks you through it; for example in my example using dolphin, it selects
> the package 'kdebae' if you look in the details section. It isn't perfect, but
> it sure makes it about on par with other bug trackers I have used.
>
> But if it is application-related, ie not something specific to ubuntu/kubuntu
> you might consider reporting directly to kde from the program's Help menu. It
> also walks you through things a bit on their tracker.

Yes, some bugs belong in the KDE bug tracker. Read more here:
http://www.kubuntu.org/news/timelord
"To increase the efficiency of our bug trackers, only serious upstream
bugs will be tracked at Launchpad. This way developers will be able to
efficiently track distribution-specific issues without being lost in a
sea of upstream bugs."

It is indeed not easy to file bugs for the KDE part of Kubuntu. KDE
bugfix releases are made every month. New bugs are also introduced with
those releases, so you have to install from PPA to receive both the
fixes and the new bugs. Reporting with ubuntu-bug does not support PPA.
They have to be files manually with kubuntu-ppa as package. Most of them
should also be reported upstream.