Old 04-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Michael Renner

Default since yesterday: no sound :-(

Moin,

I don;t know what I have done (wrong), but I can not record from the microphne
device since yesterday.

I use kubuntu lucid at an i386 with ALSA. Playback works fine, and I can hear
the microphone sound from the speaker (as long as the microphone cannel is not
muted). But neither with audacity, nor with xosope (or any other application)
the microphone sound is available.

With xmix, the microphne is selected as the recording device, amixer show this
output:

renner@lyra:~$ amixer
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Master Mono',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined penum
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono: Playback 25 [81%] [-9.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Switch',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control '3D Control Sigmatel - Depth',0
Capabilities: volume volume-joined penum
Playback channels: Mono
Capture channels: Mono
Limits: 0 - 3
Mono: 2 [67%]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 25 [81%] [3.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 25 [81%] [3.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Surround Phase Inversion',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive penum
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Front Left: Playback 28 [90%] [7.50dB] [on] Capture [off]
Front Right: Playback 28 [90%] [7.50dB] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'CD',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive penum
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [on] Capture [off]
Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-
exclusive penum
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Mono
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono: Playback 22 [71%] [-1.50dB] [off]
Front Left: Capture [on]
Front Right: Capture [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost (+20dB)',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Select',0
Capabilities: enum
Items: 'Mic1' 'Mic2'
Item0: 'Mic1'
Simple mixer control 'Video',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive penum
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Front Left: Playback 18 [58%] [-7.50dB] [on] Capture [off]
Front Right: Playback 18 [58%] [-7.50dB] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Phone',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-
exclusive penum
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Mono
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono: Playback 19 [61%] [-6.00dB] [on]
Front Left: Capture [off]
Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'PC Speaker',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined penum
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 15
Mono: Playback 9 [60%] [-18.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Aux',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive penum
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Front Left: Playback 26 [84%] [4.50dB] [on] Capture [off]
Front Right: Playback 26 [84%] [4.50dB] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mono Output Select',0
Capabilities: enum
Items: 'Mix' 'Mic'
Item0: 'Mix'
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined penum
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 15
Front Left: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [on]
Front Right: Capture 15 [100%] [22.50dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mix',0
Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-exclusive penum
Capture exclusive group: 0
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Front Left: Capture [off]
Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mix Mono',0
Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-exclusive penum
Capture exclusive group: 0
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Front Left: Capture [off]
Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'External Amplifier',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Sigmatel 4-Speaker Stereo',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [on]

Any hint?
Thanks
--
|Michael Renner E-mail: michael.renner@gmx.de |
|D-81541 Munich Germany ICQ: #112280325 |

Old 04-03-2011, 07:38 PM
"Alan Dacey Sr."

On Sunday, April 03, 2011 07:20:31 am Michael Renner wrote:
> Moin,
>
> I don;t know what I have done (wrong), but I can not record from the microphne
> device since yesterday.
>
> I use kubuntu lucid at an i386 with ALSA. Playback works fine, and I can hear
> the microphone sound from the speaker (as long as the microphone cannel is not
> muted). But neither with audacity, nor with xosope (or any other application)
> the microphone sound is available.
>
> With xmix, the microphne is selected as the recording device, amixer show this
> output:
>
> renner@lyra:~$ amixer
> Simple mixer control 'Master',0

>[snip]

> Mono: Playback [on]
>

> Any hint?
> Thanks

Is pavucontrol installed? If not install it and use it first before you start pulling your hair out.

Alan

Old 04-03-2011, 07:56 PM
pierre jocelyn andre

Look at* penAl
http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/default.aspx
via synaptic

Old 04-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Michael Renner

On Sunday 03 April 2011, Alan Dacey Sr. wrote:
> On Sunday, April 03, 2011 07:20:31 am Michael Renner wrote:
> > Moin,
> >
> > I don;t know what I have done (wrong), but I can not record from the
> > microphne device since yesterday.

[...]

> Is pavucontrol installed? If not install it and use it first before you
> start pulling your hair out.

thanks. The problem is gone, but I don't know why. I booted into kernel
2.6.32-28 to check if there is a connection between my sound problem and the
kernel update I installed 2 days ago. The sound worked with the former kernel.
Also with 2.6.32-29. But the supprise was: now it is working with 2.6.32-30.

A cough?

Is there a kind of history for updates?

Thanks