Old 04-03-2011, 01:33 AM
Paul Lemmons

Default is 64 bit ready for primetime yet?

When Natty comes out I am planning on doing a clean install. My first on
this particular machine since Feisty. I am considering the 64 bit
version. The machine has more than 4GB of ram so I have been
successfully running the pae version without any real hiccups. It has
been a long time since I considered "real" 64 bit and was wondering has
it matured to the point where it is as smooth, application and stability
wise, as the 32 bit version? In particular: Firefox? Flash? Java? VMWare
Workstation?

--
In a world without walls and fences we don't need Windows or Gates

Old 04-03-2011, 02:05 AM
Bruce Marshall

On Saturday, April 02, 2011, Paul Lemmons wrote:
> When Natty comes out I am planning on doing a clean install. My first on
> this particular machine since Feisty. I am considering the 64 bit
> version. The machine has more than 4GB of ram so I have been
> successfully running the pae version without any real hiccups. It has
> been a long time since I considered "real" 64 bit and was wondering has
> it matured to the point where it is as smooth, application and stability
> wise, as the 32 bit version? In particular: Firefox? Flash? Java? VMWare
> Workstation?

I used to feel the way you do and it took a long time for me to get a 64 bit
machine.

But I built three of them about a year ago and the switch was painless...

No problems at the moment whatever. I am sure there might be some apps that
didn't convert over... grip is one, but I think it was for other reasons than
64bit. I don't think it is supported anymore... but it does run on 64 bit
and I still use it occasionally.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:14 AM
Clay Weber

On Saturday, April 02, 2011 09:33:48 PM Paul Lemmons wrote:
> When Natty comes out I am planning on doing a clean install. My first on
> this particular machine since Feisty. I am considering the 64 bit
> version. The machine has more than 4GB of ram so I have been
> successfully running the pae version without any real hiccups. It has
> been a long time since I considered "real" 64 bit and was wondering has
> it matured to the point where it is as smooth, application and stability
> wise, as the 32 bit version? In particular: Firefox? Flash? Java? VMWare
> Workstation?

You won't see a difference. There really hasn't been a difference in years,
really. Everything you list works the same, tho I have not used Vmware -
Virtualbox works just dandy here. Run a livecd and see, is what i would do, or
even dual-boot for a spell if you have a spare partition. That's what I did in
deciding on 32 vs 64 bit on my desktop, primarily a Boxee/xbmc machine.
Running that on 64 bit involved a lot of extra work a few years back, but when
they started making 64bit versions, I dual-booted and saw no differences
performance-wise, driver-wise, or flash-wise and what was broken in one was
broken in th other :/

-- .
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net
http://flyballmaine.com
http://emacdogsports.com

Old 04-03-2011, 02:30 AM
Doug

You won't see a difference. There really hasn't been a difference in years,
really. Everything you list works the same, tho I have not used Vmware -
Virtualbox works just dandy here. Run a livecd and see, is what i would do, or
even dual-boot for a spell if you have a spare partition. That's what I did in
deciding on 32 vs 64 bit on my desktop, primarily a Boxee/xbmc machine.
Running that on 64 bit involved a lot of extra work a few years back, but when
they started making 64bit versions, I dual-booted and saw no differences
performance-wise, driver-wise, or flash-wise and what was broken in one was
broken in th other :/

-- .
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net
http://flyballmaine.com
http://emacdogsports.com

I would think that 64-bit would have a really noticeable effect when you
get a bunch of
windows open, assuming you have some of the extra ram that 64-bit
supports. I don't
have the option of 64-bit with this machine, and I can see it really bog
down when I

do that.. (AAMOF, it will only allow me 2GB or ram.) Am I wrong?

--doug

Old 04-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Jon Piper

Hi All,
I have been running 64 bit since 8.10 and haven't had an significant
problems. Flashplayer was the only issue I can recall but there was a
workaround - I don't recall what is was but it worked.

I'm using Kubuntu 10.10 on my laptop (Toshiba L655-S5157 - Intel i3-380
with 4 GIG) since I bought it a month ago -- no real issues. Just some
nitty things that are probably issues with 10.10. The most aggravating
is that when I go to a web page from Thunderbird (email), it loads it in
Konqueror instead of Firefox; I have reset the defaults so they all
point to Firefox but no soap. I have a desktop with 10.04 (64) that
works like a charm. I tried 10.04 (32 & 64 bit) on this machine and
could not get ethernet or wireless going; that is why I installed
10.10. I usually use the LTS versions until the bitter end-once going
because I don't like to change (I have been using Linux since 1997 or
1998 -- its come a long way). When I have time, I think I will revert
back to 10.04 or maybe install 11.04 in another partition; any version
of *buntu is better than Windoz -- at least Kubuntu has no real issues
like Windoz that mess up your day.

Have fun with this adventure - it not for the faint hearted but it makes
life real interesting; being a programmer for over 30 years, I like
solving problems and helping other people solve problems.

Blessing,

Jon Piper
*********************

Old 04-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 04:33, Paul Lemmons <paul@lemmons.name> wrote:
> When Natty comes out I am planning on doing a clean install. My first on
> this particular machine since Feisty. I am considering the 64 bit version.
> The machine has more than 4GB of ram so I have been successfully running the
> pae version without any real hiccups. *It has been a long time since I
> considered "real" 64 bit and was wondering has it matured to the point where
> it is as smooth, application and stability wise, as the 32 bit version? In
> particular: Firefox? Flash? Java? VMWare Workstation?

My experience with 64 bit leads me to this: test Flash 64 bit on your
hardware. If it works fine, then continue confiuring the system. If it
doesn't, then install 32 bit and go from there.

For most "common user" installs, the only thing holding desktop Linux
back from 64 bit is Flash on some specific hardware. On other hardware
it works fine.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 04-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Kaj Haulrich

On Sunday 03 April 2011 12:48:36 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 04:33, Paul Lemmons <paul@lemmons.name> wrote:
> > When Natty comes out I am planning on doing a clean install. My first on
> > this particular machine since Feisty. I am considering the 64 bit
> > version. The machine has more than 4GB of ram so I have been
> > successfully running the pae version without any real hiccups. It has
> > been a long time since I considered "real" 64 bit and was wondering has
> > it matured to the point where it is as smooth, application and stability
> > wise, as the 32 bit version? In particular: Firefox? Flash? Java? VMWare
> > Workstation?
>
> My experience with 64 bit leads me to this: test Flash 64 bit on your
> hardware. If it works fine, then continue confiuring the system. If it
> doesn't, then install 32 bit and go from there.
>
> For most "common user" installs, the only thing holding desktop Linux
> back from 64 bit is Flash on some specific hardware. On other hardware
> it works fine.

I'm running natty 64-bit beta, and the stock flashplayer was flaky, so I
installed the experimental 64-bit version from Adobe Labs:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10_square.html

runs fine - but remember to un-install the previous version first.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 11.04 ---------

Old 04-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Paul Lemmons