Old 02-08-2008, 03:32 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Default update breaks FF on 64-bit gutsy

On my 64-bit gutsy system, I just performed an official upate of FF (with
synaptic), and now when I try to access my preferences I get an error box
that says:

----

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: chrome://browser/content/preferences/preferences.xul
Line Number 1, Column 4:lse;'>URL</a> sent to Google may
---^

----

1. Has anyone else seen anything like this since updating FF on a 64-bit
gutsy system?

2. Does anyone have any idea where the file preferences.xul is? I can't
find it (I tried "find" and kerry.)

Doc

PS Hmmm... the entire installation seems to be broken. Just typing "about:"
in the address bar now gives an error too.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:08 PM
"D. R. Evans"

D. R. Evans said the following at 02/08/2008 09:32 AM :

> PS Hmmm... the entire installation seems to be broken. Just typing "about:"
> in the address bar now gives an error too.

I discovered I was getting weird DCOP errors too, and messages about some
processes not running, so I ended up rebooting and that seems to have fixed
everything.

Doc

Old 02-08-2008, 06:47 PM
lanzen

On Friday 08 February 2008 19:08:48 D. R. Evans wrote:

> D. R. Evans said the following at 02/08/2008 09:32 AM :
> > PS Hmmm... the entire installation seems to be broken. Just typing
> > "about:" in the address bar now gives an error too.
>
> I discovered I was getting weird DCOP errors too, and messages about some
> processes not running, so I ended up rebooting and that seems to have fixed
> everything.

Did you, by any chance, have FF running while updating?

I got the update on both my kubuntu and ubuntu, but while every thing went
smooth in kubuntu - FF was not running - on ubuntu a message came up asking
to make sure FF was shut down and restarted otherwise I was bound to have
problems. What kind of problems, it didn't say.

--
lanzen

Old 02-08-2008, 08:22 PM
"D. R. Evans"

lanzen said the following at 02/08/2008 12:47 PM :
> On Friday 08 February 2008 19:08:48 D. R. Evans wrote:
>
>> D. R. Evans said the following at 02/08/2008 09:32 AM :
>>> PS Hmmm... the entire installation seems to be broken. Just typing
>>> "about:" in the address bar now gives an error too.
>> I discovered I was getting weird DCOP errors too, and messages about some
>> processes not running, so I ended up rebooting and that seems to have fixed
>> everything.
>
> Did you, by any chance, have FF running while updating?
>
> I got the update on both my kubuntu and ubuntu, but while every thing went
> smooth in kubuntu - FF was not running - on ubuntu a message came up asking
> to make sure FF was shut down and restarted otherwise I was bound to have
> problems. What kind of problems, it didn't say.

Hmmm... I generally leave FF running all the time in one virtual desktop,
so I think that I did have it running when the update started. When I saw
that FF was being updated, though, I am pretty sure that I closed it. I
know that I definitely did not receive any kind of warning message.

I could believe that I hit some kind of weird race condition, though.

Doc