Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Isak Enström

Default Desktop effects slow monitor performance

On 2011-03-22 09:35, Georgi Kourtev wrote:

Hi all,

I post few times here with issue related to enabled effects and the refresh
rate of the screen (the latter being really bad while th effects are on). This
I have on three machines with rather really new hardware (all with 10.10, KDE
4.6.1).

Some people here suggested ides but none of them worked. Meanwhile I found
this:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3099721.0

Before I give a try, can anyone share what is the difference of using OpenGL
and Xrender? Would it be advisable to follow the suggested by this post, or
the solution is elsewhere? As usual -- any ideas are appreciated!
gk

What hardware are you on?

The way I understand it, Xrender isn't utilizing your hardware to draw
the effects - it's "software accelerated".

Have you tried another window manager e.g. Compiz? I've had problems
myself with Kwin + Radeon X600 + Kubuntu, but switching to Compiz gave
me a little performance boost. Funnily enough things are working much
better with other distros, it seems to be the *buntu base that have
problems.

I know this isn't the answer you want, but it will help you narrowing
down your problem.

--
Isak

***
Powered by Ubuntu
http://www.ubuntu.com

Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Georgi Kourtev

> What hardware are you on?

It is DELL inspiron 1525 laptop. Below is the output of lspci | grep (hope
this is the correct command):

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)

One of the desktops for example gave me as output:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 10)

Old 03-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Georgi Kourtev

On Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:10:47 Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> > What hardware are you on?
>
> It is DELL inspiron 1525 laptop. Below is the output of lspci | grep (hope
> this is the correct command):
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
>
> One of the desktops for example gave me as output:
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 10)
>
> > The way I understand it, Xrender isn't utilizing your hardware to draw
> > the effects - it's "software accelerated".

And this is the output from lshw -C video. It doesn't mean anything to me.

sudo lshw -C video
*-display:0
product: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 0c
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:45 memory:fea00000-feafffff memory:e0000000-efffffff
ioport:eff8(size=8)
*-display:1 UNCLAIMED
product: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
version: 0c
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:feb00000-febfffff

Old 03-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Dienstag 22 März 2011, 11:10:47, Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> > What hardware are you on?
>
> It is DELL inspiron 1525 laptop. Below is the output of lspci | grep (hope
> this is the correct command):
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
>
> One of the desktops for example gave me as output:
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 10)

Same thing here. That graphics card doesn't support proper hardware
acceleration, and the driver even less. I'm using XRender with relatively few
artifacts/glitches and can only suggest you do the same - OGL seems to be
broken badly, probably due to the driver's low quality.

There may be some corrupt graphics after a suspend-to-RAM. I haven't found a
way to get rid of them except a reboot. Switching off desktop effects does not
have any effect on this.

--Reinhold

Old 03-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Isak Enström

It is DELL inspiron 1525 laptop. Below is the output of lspci | grep (hope
this is the correct command):

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)

sudo lshw -C video
*-display:0
product: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 0c
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:45 memory:fea00000-feafffff memory:e0000000-efffffff
ioport:eff8(size=8)

That looks like the same laptop my wife uses. She's running Linux Mint
Gnome without problems (with Compiz enabled), I have only briefly tried
KDE on it. If you got time you could perhaps try installing Compiz just
to see if the problem persists using "apt-get install --no
install-recommends" (to avoid installing unwanted dependencies)

--
Isak

***
Powered by CrunchBang Linux
http://crunchbanglinux.org/

Old 03-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Clay Weber

On Tuesday, March 22, 2011 08:49:28 AM Isak Enström wrote:
> On 22/03/11 11:14, Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> >> It is DELL inspiron 1525 laptop. Below is the output of lspci | grep
> >> (hope this is the correct command):
> >>
> >> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960
> >> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
> >
> > sudo lshw -C video
> >
> > *-display:0

> > product: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
> > vendor: Intel Corporation
> > physical id: 2
> > bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
> > version: 0c
> > width: 64 bits
> > clock: 33MHzMobile GM965/GL960
> > capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
> > configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
> > resources: irq:45 memory:fea00000-feafffff
> > memory:e0000000-efffffff
> >
> > ioport:eff8(size=8)
>
> That looks like the same laptop my wife uses. She's running Linux Mint
> Gnome without problems (with Compiz enabled), I have only briefly tried
> KDE on it. If you got time you could perhaps try installing Compiz just
> to see if the problem persists using "apt-get install --no
> install-recommends" (to avoid installing unwanted dependencies)
>
> --
> Isak
>
> ***
> Powered by CrunchBang Linux
> http://crunchbanglinux.org/

I have a Dell Latitude D630 with the intel Mobile GM965/GL960. No problems at
all with kwin here, the D630 is running Natty most of the time, in 10.10 I do
not recall any issues either, and me loves me Blur effect, thats for sure . I
don't know the refresh rate issue could be, aren't lcd screens pretty much
locked to one value?

imo, intalling compiz is just adding one extra layer of complexity as you
have to install, set up, and then (hopefully) it runs

A perhaps better thing to try is to try delting your ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc
from *outside* of KDE, to try and regererate a fresh clean copy. Or create a
new user account to see if the problem is systemwide or user-specific (hence
the deletion of the kwinrc file)

Another option to try is to install updated intel video drivers from Ubuntu
Xorg team's ppa for stable upstream drver releases:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates
You can see if that works, but if not , reverting is fairly easy: install the
package ppa-purge, then in a terminal enter:
sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
and you will go back to 'stock'.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net