Old 03-18-2011, 04:50 AM
ray burke

Default Manual checkdisc for Kubuntu HDD

Can anyone help[

I cant wait for the system to apply a checkdisc when booting up, I
want to manually start one, as when I clonned
over it suggested I do one?

ray

Old 03-18-2011, 05:14 AM
Nils Kassube

ray burke wrote:
> I cant wait for the system to apply a checkdisc when booting up, I
> want to manually start one, as when I clonned
> over it suggested I do one?

You can use the command

sudo touch /forcefsck

in a terminal. Then the system will check the disks at the next boot.

Nils

Old 03-18-2011, 06:18 AM
"O. Sinclair"

I cant wait for the system to apply a checkdisc when booting up, I
want to manually start one, as when I clonned
over it suggested I do one?

You can use the command

sudo touch /forcefsck

in a terminal. Then the system will check the disks at the next boot.

Interesting - mine never seems to check the /home partition, is there
way to force that as well?

Old 03-18-2011, 08:00 AM
Nils Kassube

O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 18/03/2011 08:14, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > You can use the command
> >
> > sudo touch /forcefsck
> >
> > in a terminal. Then the system will check the disks at the next
> > boot.
>
> Interesting - mine never seems to check the /home partition, is there
> way to force that as well?

You are right. It seems like only the / partition is checked if the file
/forcefsck is found at boot time. To fsck your /home partition you could
reboot in recovery mode (from the grub menu) and select the root shell
option. Then determine which device is your /home partition with the
command

mount | grep /home

The output should be something like

/dev/sda3 on /home type ext3 (rw)

where /dev/sda3 is the device name. Now umount it with the command

umount /dev/sda3

then run the fsck with the command

e2fsck -f -C0 /dev/sda3

and afterwards mount it again with this command:

mount -a

Of course you would replace the /dev/sda3 in the commands above with the
actual device name of your home partition.

Actually you _could_ do it without rebooting but that would be a bit
more complicated to explain and I would probably miss some possible
problems.

Nils

Old 03-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Hervé Fache

Hi !

On 18 March 2011 08:18, O. Sinclair wrote:
> Interesting - mine never seems to check the /home partition, is there way to
> force that as well?

This should be set up in /etc/fstab. This is an excerpt of mine:
# home
UUID=<removed for security reasons> /home reiserfs notail,relatime 0 2

The '2' at the end means check at startup, after you've checked those
with a '1' (usually only /).

Hervé
--
"Privacy is ultimately about liberty while surveillance is always
about control." David Sugar

Old 03-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Jonas Norlander

2011/3/18 O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com>:
> On 18/03/2011 08:14, Nils Kassube wrote:
>>
>> ray burke wrote:
>>>
>>> I cant wait for the system to apply a checkdisc when booting up, I
>>> want to manually start one, as when I clonned
>>> over it suggested I do one?
>>
>> You can use the command
>>
>> sudo touch /forcefsck
>>
>> in a terminal. Then the system will check the disks at the next boot.
>>
> Interesting - mine never seems to check the /home partition, is there way to
> force that as well?

You can use tune2fs to change the max-mount-counts and mount-count
values in a ext2/3/4 filesystem. You can use the -C switch to force a
check at next boot.
From the manual:
-C mount-count
Set the number of times the filesystem has been
mounted. If set to a greater value than the max-mount-counts
parameter set by the -c option, e2fsck(8) will check the filesystem at
the next reboot.

/ Jonas

Old 03-18-2011, 06:24 PM
ray burke

thanks will give
"sudo touch /forcefsck" a try and see what happens and report back

ray