Old 03-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Billie Walsh

Default Interesting situation

Kubuntu 10.10 new install, fully up to date
Intel Dual core 2 gig ram
Standard USA keyboard

I have a curious situation with the number pad. With the "Num Lock"
turned off, no light on the keyboard, the keypad acts as if the num lock
is turned on. With the num lock turned on, light on, the keypad acts as
it were turned off. For all system use, password etc., I have to use the
numbers across the top of the keyboard. The number pad won't work at all.

I use the same keyboard on two computers through a KVM switch. This
computer is dual boot with Vista and it works fine there. It works fine
on the other computer [ Kubuntu 10.10 new install fully up to date and
Windows Seven ].

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 03-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Waleed Hamra

On 03/17/2011 08:13 PM, Billie Walsh wrote:
> Kubuntu 10.10 new install, fully up to date
> Intel Dual core 2 gig ram
> Standard USA keyboard
>
> I have a curious situation with the number pad. With the "Num Lock"
> turned off, no light on the keyboard, the keypad acts as if the num lock
> is turned on. With the num lock turned on, light on, the keypad acts as
> it were turned off. For all system use, password etc., I have to use the
> numbers across the top of the keyboard. The number pad won't work at all.
>
> I use the same keyboard on two computers through a KVM switch. This
> computer is dual boot with Vista and it works fine there. It works fine
> on the other computer [ Kubuntu 10.10 new install fully up to date and
> Windows Seven ].

i have the very same behaviour regarding the numlock light reversal. but
it works fine in all forms, passwords, etc.. i just have to remember
that no light means numlock is on. this started happening after KDE 4.5,
when i have KDE set to turn on numlock on startup. if i leave the option
at OFF, KDE startes with numlock off, and no light, pressing numlock
turns it on as one would expect, and all is fine. but for me, numlock is
kinda wanted to be on all the time, and the light isn't mush of a hassle
for me.
note, that in any TTY, numlock lights are normal regardless of what KDE
is doing.

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 03-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Donnerstag 17 März 2011, 19:13:26, Billie Walsh wrote:
> I use the same keyboard on two computers through a KVM switch.

Never used one myself, but I've heard enough to know that this may be the
problem. Does it work when you plug it into the computer directly?

--Reinhold