Old 03-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Mark Kelly

Default Setting a keyboard shortcut

Hi.

I cannot get a keyboard shortcut to work on 10.04 that I have used on previous
Kubuntu installs.

I'm trying to set the Pause key to open konsole.

I do this by navigating to the Konsole entry in the menu editor, clicking the
advanced tab and setting the shortcut in there. The operation appears to work
just fine, and the setting is saved, but the keyboard shortcut does nothing.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Mark

Old 03-15-2011, 09:03 PM
David Wonderly

On Tuesday, March 15, 2011 02:52:35 pm Mark Kelly wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I cannot get a keyboard shortcut to work on 10.04 that I have used on
> previous Kubuntu installs.
>
> I'm trying to set the Pause key to open konsole.
>
> I do this by navigating to the Konsole entry in the menu editor, clicking
> the advanced tab and setting the shortcut in there. The operation appears
> to work just fine, and the setting is saved, but the keyboard shortcut
> does nothing.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Hey Mark. I got this to work just fine in 10.10 so, I'm not 100% if it will
work in 10.04 but give it a shot.

Open the system settings and go to 'Shortcuts and Gestures'.

Click on Custom Shorcuts

Click KMenuEdit

Go down to Edit and click new -> Global Shortcut -> KMenu Entry

Set the name of the New Action

Select the New Action

Under the tab trigger you can set the keyboard shortcut

Under the Action tab you can set the application to open.

This works in 10.10 using the pause button to open Konsole.

Cheers!

Dave Wonderly

Old 03-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Mark Kelly

Hi David.

On Tuesday 15 Mar 2011 at 22:03 David Wonderly wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 15, 2011 02:52:35 pm Mark Kelly wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to set the Pause key to open konsole.

> Hey Mark. I got this to work just fine in 10.10 so, I'm not 100% if it will
> work in 10.04 but give it a shot.

[snip]

Your suggestion set me looking in the right place, but the fix was actually
different:

System Settings > Input Actions

Noticed KMenuEdit was un-ticked in the list. Ticked it, hit apply.

Keybord shortcut now works.

Mark