Old 03-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Paul Stear

Default starting knetworkmanager

Hi all,
I don't know what I have done to cause this but every time I boot the system
starts without connecting to the network.
If I run knetworkmanager in a konsole it starts as normal and I can check mail
etc..
How do I get the network to start automatically on boot up?
Thanks for any replies,
Paul
--
This email has been sent using kmail on kubuntu

Old 03-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Georgi Kourtev

On Monday, March 14, 2011 11:39:52 Paul Stear wrote:
> Hi all,
> I don't know what I have done to cause this but every time I boot the
> system starts without connecting to the network.
> If I run knetworkmanager in a konsole it starts as normal and I can check
> mail etc..
> How do I get the network to start automatically on boot up?
> Thanks for any replies,
> Paul

Did you try in System Settings ---> System Administration -- > Startup and
Shutdown? Is it there?
gk

Old 03-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Jon Piper

Hi Georgi,

I have had the the same problem with a number of laptops - including
this one.* I Cured the problem by removing knetworkmanager and
installing WICD. This has happened at least ten times; now I
automatically remove knetworkmanager and now everyone is as happy as
a pig in slop. This has happened with Kubuntu 7.04, 7.10, 8.04,
9.10, 10.04 (I have been so happy with 10.04 I haven't bothered with
anything beyond.* They need ash can knetworkmanager in my opinion.

Be sure you remove knetworkmanager because it doesn't get along with
WICD - if fact it doesn't get along with itself.* Here is how to do
it - the easy way:

***

*** 1. open a
terminal, type: sudo apt-get install synaptic*** (it is a package
*** *** *** manager - the best for all of the *buntu in my opinion

*** 2. search for knetworkmanager (knm-runtime) and mark it for
complete removal

*** 3. search for WICD and mark it for installation

*** 4. click "apply"

*** 5. when it is finished doing its thing -- re-start

*** 6. set up you wireless security WPA, WEP, etc. and you are good
to go wired *** *** *** ethernet or wireless. I rarely work with
wireless, but I can unplug my cat5 *** *** and walk 25 feet the
wireless is working and the icon is changed for wired *** *** to
wireless.* Have fun with *buntu!

Blessing,

Jon Piper

***************

Old 03-14-2011, 10:29 PM

>> On Monday, March 14, 2011 11:39:52 Paul Stear wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I don't know what I have done to cause this but every time I boot the
>>> system starts without connecting to the network.
>>> If I run knetworkmanager in a konsole it starts as normal and I can
>>> check
>>> mail etc..
>>> How do I get the network to start automatically on boot up?
>>> Thanks for any replies,
>>> Paul

First thing to check is to see if the network-management widget is just
missing from the systray:

right-click in the little arrow on the right side of your systray and go
to the settings dialog, and make sure that Network Management is checked.

It should look similar to this in layout:
http://genek.net/LinuxAdventures/reviews/kdepics/kde3

Since it was running fine before, My best guess is that it is missing from
the systray, therefore it isn't running (or rather the gui to use it isn't

clay

Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Paul Stear

Clay,
Thank you for your response,
When I check the network-management widget is missing.
How do I get it displayed?
regards
Paul
PS some users have suggested using wicd instead but I think I would prefer to
try and restore the kde way of doing things if possible.
I caused this but I can't figure out how.

--
This email has been sent using kmail on kubuntu

Old 03-15-2011, 09:48 AM
"O. Sinclair"