Old 02-08-2008, 12:22 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default Why are some copied files dates now, but not others?

In konqueror, when I copy files via ssh from a remote host to local,
the file's date is the date that the original file was created on the
remote host. However, if I then copy the same file from local to a
different remote host, the new file's date is today. Why is that? Is
this a bug? I'm on Ubuntu 7.04 with KDE 3.5.8.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:50 PM
"Michael Hirsch"

On Feb 7, 2008 6:22 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> In konqueror, when I copy files via ssh from a remote host to local,
> the file's date is the date that the original file was created on the
> remote host. However, if I then copy the same file from local to a
> different remote host, the new file's date is today. Why is that? Is
> this a bug? I'm on Ubuntu 7.04 with KDE 3.5.8.

I would guess that there is an asymetry inherent in using ssh to copy
files. When the copy is done to the local filesystem, you can use any
system call you want to change that file. When it copies out to the
remote system you are stuck with whatever sftp or ssh allows you do
to.

I would say it is a minor bug. You can file it, but I would be
surprised if it got fixed--it may not be fixable. But you never know.

Michael