Old 03-07-2011, 10:20 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default dcop dies between every session

Running Kubuntu 10.10 with all updates to KDE 4.6.1

Since some time (I dont know when, discovered this by a fluke) dcop
server is not starting automatically. After startup I go to a console
line and type

dcop
and get:
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
ERROR: Couldn't attach to DCOP server!

I then run
/usr/bin/kdeinit
and get:
kbuildsycoca running...
DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.

If I after that run
dcop
I get:
kded
klauncher

anyone recognise this and have an idea what is wrong and what I could do?

Kind regards
Sinclair

Old 03-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Clay Weber

On Monday, March 07, 2011 06:20:13 AM O. Sinclair wrote:
> Running Kubuntu 10.10 with all updates to KDE 4.6.1
>
> Since some time (I dont know when, discovered this by a fluke) dcop
> server is not starting automatically. After startup I go to a console
> line and type
> dcop
> and get:
> DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
> DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
> ERROR: Couldn't attach to DCOP server!
>
> I then run
> /usr/bin/kdeinit
> and get:
> kbuildsycoca running...
> DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
>
> If I after that run
> dcop
> I get:
> kded
> klauncher
>
> anyone recognise this and have an idea what is wrong and what I could do?
>
> Kind regards
> Sinclair

dcop has been replaced with dbus in KDE 4. it still will exist on kde4 systems
that have any kde3 apps running as it is included in the kdelibs4c2a pacakge.
It could be that it is not fully complete, something else is missing perhaps.

What exactly do you need dcop to do?

clay

Old 03-07-2011, 12:20 PM
"O. Sinclair"

[...]

I have come to understand that it has been "replaced" but do not quite
get why, once started, kded and klauncher is attached to it.

I was looking for a way to logout of KDE from command line as the logout
function has gone wacko on my new laptop... in short it does not work.
Shutdown and reboot works (almost always) logout does not. And found a
command via google that use dcop to log out - incorrect or not I don't know

Old 03-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Clay Weber

On Monday, March 07, 2011 08:20:56 AM O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 07/03/2011 14:25, Clay Weber wrote:
> > On Monday, March 07, 2011 06:20:13 AM O. Sinclair wrote:
> >> Running Kubuntu 10.10 with all updates to KDE 4.6.1
> >>
> >> Since some time (I dont know when, discovered this by a fluke) dcop
> >> server is not starting automatically. After startup I go to a console
> >> line and type
> >> dcop
> >> and get:
> >> DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
> >> DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
> >> ERROR: Couldn't attach to DCOP server!
> >>
> >> I then run
> >> /usr/bin/kdeinit
> >> and get:
> >> kbuildsycoca running...
> >> DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
> >>
> >> If I after that run
> >> dcop
> >> I get:
> >> kded
> >> klauncher
> >>
> >> anyone recognise this and have an idea what is wrong and what I could
> >> do?
> >>
> >> Kind regards
> >> Sinclair
> >
> > dcop has been replaced with dbus in KDE 4. it still will exist on kde4
> > systems that have any kde3 apps running as it is included in the
> > kdelibs4c2a pacakge. It could be that it is not fully complete,
> > something else is missing perhaps.
> >
> > What exactly do you need dcop to do?
>
> I have come to understand that it has been "replaced" but do not quite
> get why, once started, kded and klauncher is attached to it.
>
> I was looking for a way to logout of KDE from command line as the logout
> function has gone wacko on my new laptop... in short it does not work.
> Shutdown and reboot works (almost always) logout does not. And found a
> command via google that use dcop to log out - incorrect or not I don't know

Try this:
$ qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer org.kde.KSMServerInterface.logout 0 0
0

the final 3 numbers edit some options, such as restart, erc but I don't have
much info on that at hand

clay

Old 03-07-2011, 05:36 PM
"O. Sinclair"

[...]

Thanks Clay, tried that but logout just hangs. Will likely have to
reinstall from scratch (clean install) but will wait for Natty release
and do it after that.