Old 03-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Jerry Lapham

Default Print to .pdf from Wine

When I receive .doc and .docx files I've been opening them in Open Office and
converting them to .pdf files. That works fine except when the line spacing
differences between MS Word and Open Office Writer cause a one page document to
slop over to a second page.

To overcome this problem I've downloaded and installed Microsoft's WordView to
display .doc and .docx files using Wine. To convert them to .pdf files, I
downloaded and installed cups-pdf so I can "print" .pdf files.

"PDF" now appears as a printer in WordView running under Wine, but when I
"print" to it, nothing shows up in Print Status. "PDF" also shows up in my
other Windows apps and doesn't work either.

To make sure the problem's not cups-pdf, I printed to "PDF" from kate. The
job showed up in Print Status and created a .pdf file in /home/jerry/PDF.

Anyone else got it working? Any ideas why it's not working here?

-Jerry

Old 05-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Jerry Lapham

On Saturday, March 05, 2011 05:05:05 pm Jerry Lapham wrote:

> When I receive .doc and .docx files I've been opening them in Open Office
> and converting them to .pdf files. That works fine except when the line
> spacing differences between MS Word and Open Office Writer cause a one
> page document to slop over to a second page.
>
> To overcome this problem I've downloaded and installed Microsoft's WordView
> to display .doc and .docx files using Wine. To convert them to .pdf
> files, I downloaded and installed cups-pdf so I can "print" .pdf files.
>
> "PDF" now appears as a printer in WordView running under Wine, but when I
> "print" to it, nothing shows up in Print Status. "PDF" also shows up in my
> other Windows apps and doesn't work either.
>
> To make sure the problem's not cups-pdf, I printed to "PDF" from kate. The
> job showed up in Print Status and created a .pdf file in /home/jerry/PDF.
>
> Anyone else got it working? Any ideas why it's not working here?

I posted the above almost two months ago with no response. I wondered if
anyone else since then has tried it and got it to work.

-Jerry

Old 05-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Waleed Hamra

On 05/02/2011 12:49 AM, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> On Saturday, March 05, 2011 05:05:05 pm Jerry Lapham wrote:
>
>> When I receive .doc and .docx files I've been opening them in Open Office
>> and converting them to .pdf files. That works fine except when the line
>> spacing differences between MS Word and Open Office Writer cause a one
>> page document to slop over to a second page.
>>
>> To overcome this problem I've downloaded and installed Microsoft's WordView
>> to display .doc and .docx files using Wine. To convert them to .pdf
>> files, I downloaded and installed cups-pdf so I can "print" .pdf files.
>>
>> "PDF" now appears as a printer in WordView running under Wine, but when I
>> "print" to it, nothing shows up in Print Status. "PDF" also shows up in my
>> other Windows apps and doesn't work either.
>>
>> To make sure the problem's not cups-pdf, I printed to "PDF" from kate. The
>> job showed up in Print Status and created a .pdf file in /home/jerry/PDF.
>>
>> Anyone else got it working? Any ideas why it's not working here?
>
> I posted the above almost two months ago with no response. I wondered if
> anyone else since then has tried it and got it to work.

here's what happened here:
i just installed cups-pdf to see how it functions for me, install went
fine, but the PDF printer didnt show up. a restart of the CUPS daemon
didn't fix this.
so i opened the CUPS web interface, and manually added the printer,
specified it's a virtual PDF printer, and when asked for the PPD, i gave it:
/usr/share/ppd/cups-pdf/CUPS-PDF.ppd

the printer showed up fine afterwards.
i opened wine's notepad.exe, typed some gibberish, and printed to the
PDF printer, no complaints, but the PDF didnt show up in my home
directory, though the when looking at "completed jobs" in the web
interface, i saw it. a little searching around, i came across
/etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf and noticed the default is to place the file in
~/PDF/
so i went there, and indeed the file was there, both wine and native
programs are printing fine :S

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems