Old 03-04-2011, 06:12 PM
ray burke

Default adduser

can anyone help?
I am testing K10.10mm and want to no how do I add a user to my system
to have the same
privileges as me, so when I boot up mine and theirs shows in the login screen?

ray

Old 03-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Waleed Hamra

On 03/04/2011 09:12 PM, ray burke wrote:
> can anyone help?
> I am testing K10.10mm and want to no how do I add a user to my system
> to have the same
> privileges as me, so when I boot up mine and theirs shows in the login screen?
>
> ray

K-Menu --> System Settings --> User Management (under system administration)
to be familiar with your own privileges, click on your name, and click
modify, click on the "privileges and groups" tab, and take note of what
options you have. close this window, and now click "New", fill all
appropriate fields, go to "privileges and groups" tab, and check the
appropriate boxes, be sure to check the last one about Administering,
without it, the user can't use "sudo" or "kdesudo". lastly, check the
last tab, the security one, and also fill as appropriate. click ok, and
you're done, the new user can be used right away

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 03-06-2011, 03:39 AM
ray burke

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Waleed Hamra <kubuntu-users@whamra.com> wrote:
> On 03/04/2011 09:12 PM, ray burke wrote:
>> can anyone help?
>> I am testing K10.10mm and want to no how do I add a user to my system
>> to have the same
>> privileges as me, so when I boot up mine and theirs shows in the login screen?
>>
>> ray
>>

> K-Menu --> System Settings --> User Management (under system administration)
> to be familiar with your own privileges, click on your name, and click
> modify, click on the "privileges and groups" tab, and take note of what
> options you have. close this window, and now click "New", fill all
> appropriate fields, go to "privileges and groups" tab, and check the
> appropriate boxes, be sure to check the last one about Administering,
> without it, the user can't use "sudo" or "kdesudo". lastly, check the
> last tab, the security one, and also fill as appropriate. click ok, and
> you're done, the new user can be used right away
>
> --
> Waleed K. Hamra
> Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Waleed ,

OK thanks for that will give it a go and let you know how I went

thanks ray

Old 03-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Gil Gibbons

[...]

For other users to shoe up you have to change the Login Theme to on
that shows the users.
Bye the way there is a bug, in order to change the login theme you have
to either use terminal or krunner

and enter

kdesudo kcmshell4 kdm

Old 03-06-2011, 06:15 PM
ray burke

On 3/6/11, Gil Gibbons <gilgib1@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 03/05/2011 11:39 PM, ray burke wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Waleed Hamra<kubuntu-users@whamra.com>
>> wrote:

>>> K-Menu --> System Settings --> User Management (under system
>>> administration)
>>> to be familiar with your own privileges, click on your name, and click
>>> modify, click on the "privileges and groups" tab, and take note of what
>>> options you have. close this window, and now click "New", fill all
>>> appropriate fields, go to "privileges and groups" tab, and check the
>>> appropriate boxes, be sure to check the last one about Administering,
>>> without it, the user can't use "sudo" or "kdesudo". lastly, check the
>>> last tab, the security one, and also fill as appropriate. click ok, and
>>> you're done, the new user can be used right away
>>>
>>> --
>>> Waleed K. Hamra
>>> Manager of Hamra Information Systems
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> Waleed ,
>>
>> OK thanks for that will give it a go and let you know how I went
>>
>> thanks ray
>>
> For other users to shoe up you have to change the Login Theme to on
> that shows the users.
> Bye the way there is a bug, in order to change the login theme you have
> to either use terminal or krunner
> and enter
>
> kdesudo kcmshell4 kdm

Gil Gibbons,

I did the kdesudo kcmshell4 kdm, but not sure what it is intending to do?

ray

Old 03-07-2011, 02:06 AM
Tom Bell

[...]

You might try in a shell(konsole) the following,
man kcmshell4
That is the manual of commands.
man "command"
where "command" is replaced by the command word and
the manual will show some information on the command.
Also,
man -k "word"
Where "word" is any thing related to the command you are
looking for, it will show all commands in the manual that
have that "word" in the command description.
Good luck!

Tom

--
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? -- Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis (Juvenal), Roman Poet, late 1st, early 2nd century AD
("Who will protect us from the protectors?")

Old 03-07-2011, 04:17 AM
ray burke

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:15 AM, ray burke <rayburke30@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/6/11, Gil Gibbons <gilgib1@verizon.net> wrote:
>> On 03/05/2011 11:39 PM, ray burke wrote:

>>> * Waleed ,
>>>
>>> OK thanks for that will give it a go and let you know how I went
>>>
>>> thanks ray
>>>
>> * * For other users to shoe up you have to change the Login Theme to on
>> that shows the users.
>> Bye the way there is a bug, in order to change the login theme you have
>> to either use terminal or krunner
>> and enter
>>
>> kdesudo kcmshell4 kdm
>>

>> --
>>
> *Gil Gibbons,
>
> I did the kdesudo kcmshell4 kdm, but not *sure what it is intending to do?
>
> ray

Gil,

I did yhe above "kdesudo kcmshell4 kdm", but now seems to accept any
passwords can I remove it?

ray

Old 03-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Gil Gibbons

[...]

It will allow you to change the Login Theme

gil

Old 03-07-2011, 07:09 PM
ray burke

Hi!

I just installed gparted and it seems it uses "gksu" to launch
itself. Basically,
that means it asks you for root's password, not your own. Since root doesn't
have a password on a default install, nothing you enter will ever be accepted.
Long story short, you either need to find out how to make gksu behave like
sudo or just launch gparted from a command line ,have you any ideas?

ray
PS what mean change the login theme?